It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Life Potentially Claimed by Self Driving Car Crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I don't really trust the whole "self-driving vehicle" thing to start with, but I'm not the fear-mongering sort. All I wish to ask is; will this change the public's view of autonomous vehicles? Should we develop the technology further or are there too many risks?
The full article is here:

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Tenebris

Tragic.

Could work. If all cars we automated like this. Too much human error to have them in road now I would believe. I still would rather be behind the wheel than a computer though. Guess thay could just be more human error though.

Or you know skynet. Or what was the name of that movie where the green gas covered earth and everything with an engine(lawn mower, cars) went on a murderous rampage.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I agree with you to some extent. I hate the idea of self-driving cars.

Just one more nail in the coffin of freedom.

Sorry for the victim.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Apparently it was almost unavoidable the truck pretty much ran right in front of the Tesla. Either way, people still need to be aware of their surroundings.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I wonder who is going to pay. The non driving "driver" or the car company.

edit on 1-7-2016 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Technology will never be able to adequately adjust for the unpredictability of human drivers, etc. Personally speaking, I'd prefer that "driverless" cars be outlawed, because all they do is present a danger to other drivers and the community.

Being able to do others things during your morning commute is great, but if you really need the extra work time, just leave a few minutes early.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-7-2016 by FredWreck because: Video did not work

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Very sad.

Personally I like the idea of self driving cars.. but I am someone who has a difficult time finding work and going to the store for food, as I am unable (afraid?) to drive and live in a rural location. I very much look forward to these cars, it would completely change my life.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
My evil lazy side loves the idea of self driving cars, however, my more rational side thinks this is the dumbest invention that could possible happen. If you don't want to drive...then ride a bus, train, car-pool.

Tesla cars will make humanity dumber, just as mapquest app has made us dumber. I now do not know how to get to a house I have been to twice before just a year ago without GPS. My mind just chooses to not remember bc I know I can use gps.

I grew up without smart phones (or cell phones) and I got around so much better than I do now. I cannot stand that I feel like I lost a huge part of myself whenever I accidentally leave my phone at work. I do not want us to be dependent on these new inventions. They are great, yes...but we are stupid (as a whole, I am not) and we become dependent on technology instead of opening up our eyes and our brains and figuring out a new more sensical way to get to where we need to be! We are becoming human robots. Our need for nature is being replaced with a need for technology.

edit on 1-7-2016 by veracity because: no reply to...this message is for everyone

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
More like a "self-crashing car" amirite?

No, but seriously, as others have already pointed out....self-driving cars are a horrid idea.

The human brain needs focus and challenging stimulation in order to prevent falling into disuse, and over dependence on what technology we already have has already shown serious side-effects. Loss of memory, inability to maintain focus, lethargy, and depression to name a few.

edit on 7/1/16 by GENERAL EYES because: substance....don't leave home without it

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Some people live in areas with ZERO public transportation, and depending on family and friends for rides really depends on their schedules.

I completely agree in terms of technology making us dumber and unhappier (as General Eyes mentioned) in many ways, which is why I try not to use it and would rather spend my days outside and being active. I have written many papers on this, it is an important topic for me. There are so many studies that show our sedentary lives and overuse of technology lead to depression, in addition to other things, but I will not delve into that.

However, we live in the modern world and there are certain expectations. In the United States, where many places are rural and spread out and the cities are disgusting (I wouldn't want to live there anyway, I enjoy being self-sustainable food wise), driving is a must. Even taking a taxi or Uber to the store would end up being a $100 round trip in my area.

This technology may not be for everyone, but for some it is life changing.. not to mention, if you lived in a time where horse drawn carriages were the norm, do you think you would have opposed the horrid idea of a horseless carriage? Many did, it was too dangerous, but cars have greatly improved the quality of life for many people and was a gateway to opportunity. And, cars have greatly improved over the years.. see how far they have come since they first were invented. Now you, an average citizen, can drive across the country, choose exactly where to go despite the distance, and see sights that before you may never have been able to see. Never could have happened with carriages. It would have taken FAR too long.

Self driving cars will be much the same - it is an opportunity for some who truly need it, will improve their quality of life, and over time as technology evolves they will become better.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: JustAnObservation

I just cannot shake the idea that no one needs a self driving car...the alternative you may ask?

A car.

If someone is disabled then maybe a self driving car can be life-change...yes.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I know there's some very smart and knowledgeable people here at ATS, but I don't really understand the ludditism that comes across sometimes.

It is a fact of life that cars crash. People will die.

On average this happens every 100 million miles driven.

The Tesla Model S has driven over 130 million miles on autopilot with one fatality.

There is some indications that the Tesla was travelling at over 85 mph at the time of the crash. It also hit a semi-trailer at a perpendicular angle. So this indicates that the Tesla was likely driving too fast, the driver wasn't paying attention, and perhaps the truck driver made a mistake (perpendicular on a highway). Also the Tesla Model S is not an autonomous vehicle. It has a function called autopilot. Just like in some situations autopilot in an aircraft could fly an aircraft into the ground if it's not correctly used and monitored, if Tesla autopilot isn't correctly monitored then a crash could also occur.

So, this crash may have had nothing to do with autopilot at all. I'll try to update this thread when the investigation is completed.

a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

Technology will never be able to adequately adjust for the unpredictability of human drivers, etc.

Why not?

a reply to: veracity

Tesla cars will make humanity dumber, just as mapquest app has made us dumber. I now do not know how to get to a house I have been to twice before just a year ago without GPS. My mind just chooses to not remember bc I know I can use gps.

Are you sure that if you didn't have a GPS you would remember the location of the house? If I didn't have a GPS and I tried to remember a place that I had only been to twice in the previous year, I would probably just be looking at a map the next time I needed to visit.

I find Google Navigation amazing. It allows me to find places extremely quickly, calculates the most efficient route, and it even takes into consideration traffic. Often I can drive across the city to a place I've never been to before (I drive on average ~60 miles per day) and arrive at the destination within several minutes of the intended time, despite traffic. I'd call that a massive time saving and allows me to focus my attention on other things (including things that make me smarter and better).

Also if I recall correctly, if a certain percentage of cars are fitted with adaptive cruise control, the severity of traffic jams can be decreased and the capacity of our roads increased. That means roads become more efficient. Take it a step further and add in automatic brakes, then suddenly rear-ender collisions will be reduced, making roads further more efficient.

Then the following effects could occur, in some combination:

- People could increase the distance between work and home, because roads become more efficient and safer. This is increasing freedom and personal mobility.

- Less funding will be needed to upgrade roads as population increases. Mind you, roads take up a lot of space. If you have to widen roads and add roads, you're taking up space and forcing things to become further apart. Then people need to drive more. So I would consider making existing roads more efficient to be much more preferable to adding new roads.

That's why it's extremely important that our roads, vehicles, and the way we navigate is made as efficient and safe as possible. Automated functions in vehicles is part of that.

a reply to: GENERAL EYES

No, but seriously, as others have already pointed out....self-driving cars are a horrid idea.

The human brain needs focus and challenging stimulation in order to prevent falling into disuse, and over dependence on what technology we already have has already shown serious side-effects. Loss of memory, inability to maintain focus, lethargy, and depression to name a few.

Are you seriously suggesting that people should drive just to keep their mind sharp? I find driving extremely boring, and somewhat dangerous. I always pay attention but really my mind at idle when driving. That's why when trip times are identical (or parking is expensive) I always take public transport. That way I can read.

Do you also think public transport makes you dumber, since you just have to get on and sit down?[
edit on 3/7/16 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join