It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Car Update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I've been wondering about flying cars and if there are any updates. Well, I found an update which, consequently, is from 2014 where they claim that in 2years (mid 2016) we'll have our first flights of the Terrafugia transition cars. Well, we're at the half way mark now and I haven't heard anything. Has anyone here on ATS heard anything or have any updates?

A few weeks ago we looked at the broken promises of Terrafugia — a flying car company with a product that's always just two years away. Well, we've got an important update. The company is looking for just $30 million more to get their product off the ground. And you'll never guess when they project Terrafugia's flying car will hit the market... mid-2016! From the Boston Business Journal: The MIT-born company has been working on two kinds of cars: the Transition, which is scheduled to be released in mid-2016 and can fly at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour at up to 10,000 feet in the air; and the TF-X, a semi-autonomous plug-in hybrid vehicle which is currently in conceptual design phase and can take off and land vertically and can fly at speeds of up to 200 miles per hour. The TF-X does not have a price tag yet and will take about 8 to 12 years before it's a reality. Can you believe it?!?! Just two more years, guys! And then all our flying car dreams will come true!

I feel let down by the flying car movement of recent. Are they happening? Or are they not happening? What says ATS?

paleofuture.gizmodo.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Flying cars a bad, bad idea.

I barley trust the drivers on the road...let alone horrible "drivers" in the sky!

People crashing into buildings, falling out of the sky, colliding with other flying cars...

No...just no. Not unless they are 100 automated.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I don't think the idea is that people will fly to work (a la the Jetsons).
It's more about licensed pilots being able to drive their plane on the highway. With a driver's license, of course.

edit on 7/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The flying car won't be flown by humans if Bezos and Zuckerberg and Uber have any say in it.

Lots of flying autonomous, networked pods makes way more sense than "average drunk human*

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A personally controllable flying car will never be a reality. Not without the proper licenses and permits, of course. Which, we basically have already. What with the airplanes, helicopters and them auto-gyros.

The General populous is not capable enough to manipulate a vehicle in 3 dementions. Let alone, two.

The only way we, as the masses, will ever have a flying car is with auto-pilot.

The driver would pull on to an on-ramp that leads to the SkyWay and, with a pre-programmed destination set, the vehicle engages the auto-pilot and flies to the designated off-ramp. Then, engaging manual control.

That's the only way I can see it ever becoming a reality anywhere near as cool as Hill Valley in 2015.

edit on 01AMAMR-05:00-0500 by HAARPO because: Grammer, that's why.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: HAARPO

Yeah. Or a pilot lands at an airfield and drives his plane home on the highway.

In any case, a license would be required for each mode.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Flying cars a bad, bad idea.

I barley trust the drivers on the road...let alone horrible "drivers" in the sky!

People crashing into buildings, falling out of the sky, colliding with other flying cars...

No...just no. Not unless they are 100 automated.

I think they are to be automated. That's what the "highway in the sky" is for, correct?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: HAARPO

Yeah. Or a pilot lands at an airfield and drives his plane home on the highway.

In any case, a license would be required for each mode.

I think landing at an airfield kinda takes the steam from the excitement of a flying car. It also takes the convenience out of owning one in the first place....

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

flying cars, bad idea. flying is not for anyone or everyone. period. trust me ive been a pilot

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

No doubt, from what I see on a daily basis I think many should just take the bus..never mind flying..nope.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Do you really think they will be landing and taking off on highways?

Oh, I see they are working on a tilt wing thingy. We'll see how that turns out.

Still going to need both a pilot's and driver's license.

new topics

top topics

join