It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Songs by Mediocre Artists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Just as every Major League position player occasionally hits a home run, almost every professional musician does the same. Kelly Osbourne is probably the epitome of a mediocre musician. I find her song, "One Word" to be quite enlightening regardless. Kelly Osbourne didn't write the song but she sang it perfectly and with the right attitude. That's enough for me; I believe she deserves praise for the song.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 30-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

There were a lot of great songs by mediocre groups in the sixties. One that always stood out for me was Incense and Peppermints by The Strawberry Alarm Clock. I guess it could also be considered a 'one hit wonder'.

edit on 2016/6/30 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This one hit wonder..it wasn't so bad but in'm not sure how far the band made it

Late nineties?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Featured in Fight Club.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
"Inca Roads" by Frank Zappa comes to mind. So does "Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant, Parts I and II" by Return to Forever. Ghastly musicianship, but some good tunes right there.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: 4003fireglo
Tom Waits and Frank Zappa mediocre artists.... Oh FFS! (facepalm).... Who the F do you consider to be exceptional artists then?
“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”
― Frank Zappa

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Gary Wright ..........Dream Weaver

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CovertAgenda

Waits is a good actor, but most of his music just gets annoying. I consider Metallica and Pink Floyd exceptional.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Did you read the title of this thread?!!

Are you really implying that Tom Waits is a mediocre artist!??

Obviously everyones entitled to their opinion, but
YOU ARE WRONG!

LoL

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I think Terry Jacks can be considered mediocre musically, but he did have one real true hit that became a classic:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CovertAgenda
Tom Waits and Frank Zappa mediocre artists.... Oh FFS! (facepalm).... Who the F do you consider to be exceptional artists then?
“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”
― Frank Zappa

Facepalm indeed.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AbdulAlhazred

Tom might be eclectic and very satirical, but that is not what I call music IMO. Mediocrity at best.
edit on 2-7-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: adjusting post

Ill admit his early stuff wasn't bad though.

edit on 2-7-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
man don't get me started, here are a few off the top of my head.

things go better with rock

edit on 2-7-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest
Thanks for the reply...Fair enough.... tom used to grate a bit until my younger ears hooked into his modality. I think Metallica's later stuff went a bit average tho...

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Hey Ric...
FYI...
Mediocre - of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate: not satisfactory; poor; inferior:
Frank Zappa- American musician, songwriter, composer, record producer, actor and filmmaker. In a career spanning more than 30 years, Zappa composed rock n' roll, jazz, jazz fusion, orchestral and musique concrète works, and produced almost all of the more than sixty albums he released with his band the Mothers of Invention and as a solo artist. He also directed feature-length films and music videos, and designed album covers.
During his lifetime, Zappa released 62 albums. Since 1994, the Zappa Family Trust has released 40 posthumous albums, making a total of 102 albums
During his lifetime, Zappa was a highly productive and prolific artist whose work garnered widespread critical acclaim. He had some commercial success, particularly in Europe, and worked as an independent artist for most of his career. He remains a major influence on musicians and composers. His honors include an induction into the 1995 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the 1997 Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him at number 71 on its list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time", and in 2011 at number 22 on its list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time"
Yea really mediocre...lol... anyways you are entitled to your opinion.... at least you have a reasonable taste in bass's.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CovertAgenda

Yeah. Sadly Metallica belly-flopped its way into mediocrity. Very, very, depressing.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriestmaybe they will get back together with refreshing revitalizing new stuff..? might be cool.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CovertAgenda
Hey Ric...
FYI...
Mediocre - of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate: not satisfactory; poor; inferior:
Frank Zappa- American musician, songwriter, composer, record producer, actor and filmmaker. In a career spanning more than 30 years, Zappa composed rock n' roll, jazz, jazz fusion, orchestral and musique concrète works, and produced almost all of the more than sixty albums he released with his band the Mothers of Invention and as a solo artist. He also directed feature-length films and music videos, and designed album covers.
During his lifetime, Zappa released 62 albums. Since 1994, the Zappa Family Trust has released 40 posthumous albums, making a total of 102 albums
During his lifetime, Zappa was a highly productive and prolific artist whose work garnered widespread critical acclaim. He had some commercial success, particularly in Europe, and worked sernice ndependent artist for most of his career. He remains a major influence on musicians and composers. His honors include an induction into the 1995 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the 1997 Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him at number 71 on its list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time", and in 2011 at number 22 on its list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time"
Yea really mediocre...lol... anyways you are entitled to your opinion.... at least you have a reasonable taste in bass's.

Hey, Cov. FYI: You can't believe i was serious about FZ.

I like 4003s, but I've recently taken to a jetglo 4004 Laredo. Really nice and elegant like a P bass, but meaner. Also, there's no frakkin way I'd ever call Stanley Clarke mediocre. That guy is wicked.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Aha... had sarcasm detector turned off...lol
Nice axe, used 4001's exclusively years ago (that Geddy thang twang), but my live playing style was thrashing (depreciating) the poor old gals when they should have been getting respect in middle age.
Switched (strangely) to a riverhead unicorn (for weight /throwability/light weight) for live 4 string.
Last 15 or so years been early Ibanez SR1206 neckthru 6 strings. (studio/jam only now so weight not much of a concern)
What kind of rig u running?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join