It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana compound removes toxic Alzheimer's protein from the brain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Newt22

7% in los angeles the average for indica is about 22-25%. Theres one strain that's consistently 31% called master destroyer. Popular in the santa monica area.

Average for sativa around the same parts is 17%

Ounce of prevention is good. But what about a pound of cure?

Seriously I walk around most neighborhoods on the "west side" of los angeles and see on average of one plant on a balcony per block. Nobody says anything. Its normal over there.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Finally some sense in this thread. Anything you take to a tolerance gives a degree of addiction if only psychological. It's a drug, and should be used sparingly when not in a diseased state, and as a medicine when ill, with full understanding of the repercussions. There's no medicine which is a panacea, but don't tell the mildly to severely paranoid stoners on ATS that.

Personally, I've found anything which helps me when I'm in need should only be used once or twice a week tops. If I wake up out of it my go to medicine is a bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and local honey. If I come home from work feeling particularly rundown I eat a large plate of pasta with curry mixed spices. I can feel the difference running through my blood shortly after either meal, but only if I didn't have the same medicine on a regular basis.

My paps is developing arthritis pretty bad, it flares up and is on some days debilitating. If the ruling decriminalizes marijuana and he can get a script for it in Texas soon, I'd tell him to fill one and only take it in the evenings after work when he has severe pain. Could be a godsend, but there's no way either of us would see sense in him taking it day after day.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I thought Alzheimer's and Parkinson's were from when braincells in a certain part of a person's brain dont replenish after dying.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Based on your post this is Alzheimer's specific and would not have this effect on dementia in general.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Thanks Bass, yep the weed has become stronger since the study. It's reflected in it's use now...in the old days it was 'Grass' and everyone puffed the doob. Now it's called 'Dank' and everyone has a One-ee.

The control for the Lancet Study was 70% THC (Street Av then x 100%).

edit on 3-7-2016 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

(post by henrrymo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
The study needs to be replicated and must use at least 1000 patients before it can be statistically relevant within the Medical Community. However, it does look promising.
The study is / was in conjunction with Departments of Chemistry, Immunology, and Molecular Biology, Molecular and Integrated Neurosciences Department, The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, and Worm Institute for Research and Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California. Together, they have found that THC competitively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE) as well as prevents AChE-induced amyloid β-peptide (Aβ) aggregation ( the key marker of Alzheimer's disease) by binding to the peripheral anionic site of AChE, the critical region involved in amyloidgenesis.

pubs.acs.org...

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Hmm, from the way I spent the latter half of the 1970s, I will most probably NEVER get alzheimer's.

edit on 4-7-2016 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I think it's obvious that marijuana medical studies have been opressed as long as it has. It simply does't assist with population control or the big pharma. industries. However smoking the herb tends to make me more autistic ehrr...i mean artistic lol.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join