It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana compound removes toxic Alzheimer's protein from the brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It amazes me that for so long cannabis has been treated as such a dangerous drug in light of the many medical uses it seems to have.

www.sciencealert.com...

An active compound in marijuana called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) has been found to promote the removal of toxic clumps of amyloid beta protein in the brain, which are thought to kickstart the progression of Alzheimer's disease.

The finding supports the results of previous studies that found evidence of the protective effects of cannabinoids, including THC, on patients with neurodegenerative disease.

There have been previous studies done, but this study seems to indicate further benefits from cannabis.

"Although other studies have offered evidence that cannabinoids might be neuroprotective against the symptoms of Alzheimer's, we believe our study is the first to demonstrate that cannabinoids affect both inflammation and amyloid beta accumulation in nerve cells," says one of the team, David Schubert from the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in California.

So there is more than one use cannabis in medicine.

f you’re not familiar with this special little compound, it’s not only responsible for the majority of marijuana's psychological effects - including the high - thanks to its natural pain-relieving properties, it’s also been touted as an effective treatment for the symptoms of everything from HIV and chemotherapy to chronic pain, post traumatic stress disorder, and stroke.

I can't help but wonder how cannabis effects those with dementia as someone close to me has dementia, but in their youth they were not unfamiliar with this substance.Has the use of cannabis made their dementia worse, or had a delaying effect? It's difficult to quantify now, but this person is almost vegetative now. I'm not sure how these findings stand in relation to dementia vs Alzheimer's as Alzheimer's is only a subset of dementia, and the person in question suffers dementia but not Alzheimer's.
edit on 30-6-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Well, according to the research, the weed would have helped against Alzheimer's, not caused it. But this is an area of study that I hope they do more research in to learn more specifics. I am very interested in not getting dementia or Alzheimers when I get older.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Yarp trims out all those dead coping with stress dendrites and scrubs the plaques out... it's one of the most essential fatty acids and neurotransmitters that is grossly deficient... as the brain is full of naturally occuring canabiniod receptors with prohibition? People run on a chemical imbalance of this transmitter.

The sativa strand is a energetic mental stimulant and the indica strand is mental relaxant... or mental vs. body buzz. But both have the same effects. It is in the mint family and has a male and female plant, the male plant is hemp good for fiber, oils, fuel etc and the female plant is the medicinial food, cosmetic side of things. Sensimilla is a mature yet unfertilized(no seed) version in germination.

Of course various blending of sorts leads to all sorts of varieties and strains... with use of cloning(trimmings) etc.

As the world under "reefer madness" racial propaganda stops seeing that demoniaztion. This herbs benefits to humanity the true beauty of this plant species will become normalized and appreciated for all of it's benefits.

I dont think it's any wonder for it to be extremely difficult to synthize and separate into patent medicine with it's many varied cannabinoids and terpines... they are too intrinsically linked together to work as a whole... and pausing to let pharma try to rip and strip it out for patent medicine has not faired well and I think it's for good reason. Not everything that grows needs to be ripped and stripped from humanity for profit by large conglomerates.

Of course, in prohibition there's no controls so no telling what someone is getting or what could be sprayed on it as the RICO of legal and RICO of illegal are constantly self supporting and have done nothing but wage war in our streets over something that typically lasts about 30-45 minutes unless one has exposed themselves to '___' which happens to float on the same cannibinoid receptors and something I dont suggest as it can take about 7 years to clear out of ones system totally messing up the transmission of chemical messengers or synapse of the cannabinoids across the neurons... basically allowing a trigger of psychosis from the '___' in a mild flash back until cleared from the body... in other words one is natural and one is not, and the un natural one gives the natural one a very bad wrap from the ignorance of how all of the pharmacology works together.

My advice is to leave the chemical coctails and addictive substances alone... of course someone can grow a tolerance to such things but thats a sign of addiction setting in, in the ones physically addictive. Of course tobacco is more addictive than heroin which is also not natural and best to avoid being chemically stripped with who knows what.

It'll be nice when humanity comes around to understand the truth from propaganda that has been spread for various reasons and dwell in facts and reality instead of all the woo scare tactics of make believe for whatever entity or agenda wishing to paint a false picture for whatever ration as it's result is obviously unreasonable... over flowing prisons and out of chosen and willful ignorance pointing fingers with half truth or no experience taken as truth of a subject.
edit on 30-6-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: train of thought somtimes gets sacked.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: cuckooold

Well, according to the research, the weed would have helped against Alzheimer's, not caused it. But this is an area of study that I hope they do more research in to learn more specifics. I am very interested in not getting dementia or Alzheimers when I get older.

What's that they say? An ounce of prevention.......😇

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I am fixing to get my medical card too so i will be bathing in that # soon.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Not just the THC. The CBD, the one that is safe for those who don't like the high of the other also does this. And also prevents and helps target cancer, and the thc is not recommended for anxiety and various mental disorders, but the cbd treats them and depression.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Is there anything weed can't do? Apparently stoners never die.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Fantastic news for those earlier on in symptom to those susceptible. Unfortunately how things have been going with restrictions in states/ areas that don't allow Medical Marijuana and to Big Pharma remains the challenge, albeit no matter the positive news of the story.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Where does it mention stoners ?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'll stick to any number of other compounds which are known for preventing and/or removing amyloid. There are numerous. Pot and my chemistry don't go well.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

With all the disease that weed claims to cure, stoners would never get sick. Didn't help bob Marley though.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Dementia and Alzheimer's are not the same. I think you already know that, but, meant it for example...

Alzheimer's will eventually perforate the brain into a Sponge. Dementia does not do that, so to speak, but it does cause the mind to deteriorate - I offer my good intention to you, dealing with this horrible disease.

There has been other studies that did show this to be possible.

I am thinking the study out of Saskatchewan Canada, written in Lancet Medical Journal of England, around 2002/3.

However, the study was intended to prove THC's damage, not benefit.

They boosted, by 100% strength of street average (factored from street of about 7% THC), the THC, to show damage. They found little evidence of damage, and, for some reason major growth of the Synoptic Branches in Brain Nerve Cells... Not more cells, just 'branch-ier'. As a side study, within the control group, they injected Rats with infected tissue to develop Alzheimer's Disease. It never happened. I would offer a link, but you have to pay to view the study so. Can't. However, you can view it if you pay the access/subscription fee and are outside the U.S.

The major step in this study is that is shows the perforation may be caused by the act of the disease and not the attack of the Immune System and that MJ, more specifically, THC deals with the perforations.

Very cool.
edit on 30-6-2016 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Thats what those in the desert buried up to their necks should yell... the propaganda and lies about this plant has a horrendious history, and has done way worse harm than the plant could ever ever do.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

With all the disease that weed claims to cure, stoners would never get sick. Didn't help bob Marley though.

Yeah because Marley was a heavy smoker...where does it talk about smoking weed in the article ?
edit on 30-6-2016 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Keith Richards would agree 👍

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
After some further reading up on this it seems that this effect only works in very tiny precisely controlled bursts in the lab that mimic the bodies natural endocanibinoids.

This is from Stanford Universities school of medicine

it would be wildly off the mark to assume that, just because A-beta interferes with a valuable neurophysiological process mediated by endocannabinoids, smoking pot would be a great way to counter or prevent A-beta’s nefarious effects on memory and learning ability. Smoking or ingesting marijuana results in long-acting inhibition of interneurons by the herb’s active chemical, tetrahydrocannabinol. That is vastly different from short-acting endocannabinoid bursts precisely timed to occur only when a signal is truly worthy of attention.

“Endocannabinoids in the brain are very transient and act only when important inputs come in,” said Madison, who is also a member of the interdisciplinary Stanford Bio-X institute. “Exposure to marijuana over minutes or hours is different: more like enhancing everything indiscriminately, so you lose the filtering effect. It’s like listening to five radio stations at once.”

Besides, flooding the brain with external cannabinoids induces tolerance — it may reduce the number of endocannabinoid receptors on interneurons, impeding endocannabinoids’ ability to do their crucial job of opening the gates of learning and memory.

edit on 30-6-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Interesting comments. Very. I have long heard that when a treatment/cure is found for Alzheimer's, it will lead to a possible treatment/cure for ALS. Does anyone have reading materials on similar studies for ALS, which is also neurodegenerative?

Thanks in advance and great information shared.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
What I'm slowly starting to understand is that marijuana will make me 6'3 300 lbs of lean muscle with super powers? Science these days.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It's been working out just fine on my end.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Although, there is the distinct possibility, that those stoners, who die just like everybody else on the planet may well have died sooner without Cannabis.

You'll also find that everybody who uses profit driven pharma offerings also die, perhaps much earlier than they would have done without using them.
edit on 1 7 2016 by MysterX because: typo

top topics

<<   2 >>

join