It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High IQ members and the nature of intelligence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If the test doesn't involve english words I've never heard before, I generally test offscale.

I wouldn't have it any other way, but it can be frustrating and lonely when others can't really comprehend things that you consider to be simple.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses though, rarely are people good at everything. Its kinda like that guy that can solve the rubics cube in 12 seconds. Pretty impressive but it doesn't prove much other than he's probably not retarded.

I'm no exception. I've stumped physicists with physics debates even though I don't know much about physics, and on the other hand I can lose my cell phone in 2 seconds if I'm not careful.
I've always been a little intimidated by educated people which is probably why I never went to college.

I'd kinda agree with the old saying that theres a fine line between genius and madness. Being smart can sometimes make you aware of all kinds of things you may not want to be aware of. Ignorance is bliss. Maybe some of the saying has more to do with perception though. Not everyone is going to be able to comprehend what your thought process is, so they shrug it off as not making sense. Kind of like our pets might think we're crazy watching some of the odd stuff we do.

I also have an above average ability to understand people's motives and thought processes for doing things almost immediately. Sometimes its useful, but sometimes I'd rather not know. It's a double edged sword I guess.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
A higher EQ (empathy quotient) might be more worthy this day and age?
A clearer understanding of something alters your emotional perception of it for anyone regardless of Iq I would think?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
"They" always told me I was smart, but I never did "work up to my potential."
I'd score off the charts on those silly standardized tests, but, like sandge, I have the attention span of a gnat. They wanted me to sit through an hour-long class and actually pay attention? HA!
The funny thing is, I never did any homework or studied, and in all save one subject I got As on the tests. Unfortunately my lack of homework-ing resulted in a GPA that was not quite so high.

I soon enough discovered that I can barely operate at an 8th grade level in math. When it comes to numbers, forget it. I can't balance my checkbook without a calculator and about six hours of free time, and by the end of it all I'm in tears and still wrong. I've stopped using checks after bouncing one too many; if they don't take a debit card, I physically hand over cash or go somewhere I can use my precious plastic.

I don't know if I can say whether I think differently from anyone else. I tend to believe everyone looks at the world differently regardless of intelligence, hence my perspective is completely dissimilar from another's. I tend towards conceptualization, I know that much; for example, I can look at a blueprint and "see" in my mind's eye exactly how the structure and layout of the building will appear once it's built. I can take small pieces of a larger concept and put them together before they're actually together.
It's a neat party trick, really. The above translates well when I look at an individual's personality traits -- I can put those together and tell you a whole lot about yourself.

My morals are my own. They may not jive with the standard accepted version of "morality" these days, but they've done me okay thus far. I do what pleases me, I try not to hurt anyone else, and I believe everyone should do as they wish if they're not hurting others.

I was always the "weird kid" growing up.
I'm sure I don't have to explain that to most of you.
Rollins said it best in "I Know You".
Life is a long trip - terrifying and wonderful.

I don't know if anything I have is considered a "special mental ability." Like I said earlier, I can read people individually or as a group remarkably well. Psychology and sociology always interested me.
I'm a fantastic speller.
I'm quite good at the written word, and speak well if I'm not uncomfortable.
I'm a speed reader.
Despite mild problems with vocal expressive aphasia, if I can't remember a word, I can describe the concept well enough that most won't notice I've forgotten the word for it.
I am, obviously, quite good at human kinetics, both in application and theory.

But what does it all come down to?
I'm just me.

/IQ tested at 136, but I got bored halfway through the stupid thing
/6 concussions and I can still talk like that? ^^^

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Yea, I got almost straight F's in 7th grade (except a few D's) for not doing homework. My parents got into a big fight with the school because the school refused to fail me. They said they couldn't legally fail me because I got 100% 100% and 98% on my proficiency tests (not bad since I wasn't really paying attention to the test), but my parents couldn't believe they would pass me since I didn't pass a single class.

My parents lost the battle so they yanked me to a different school and I carried on. The event probably boosted my ego more than was healthy, but I was really really glad not to do 7th grade again. I halfway did my homework from then on.

On another note, I've heard that the greatest accomplishments are generally made by unmarried people below the age of 30. They think it has something to do with mating instinct and trying to demonstrate superiority.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by freeb]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
RE: ...and the nature of intelligence

after several (2) brain injuries
and not because of them...
the nature of high intelligence is more the presence of nobel-honorable character and moral fiber, honesty, compassion, empathy...

it seems conventional wisdom has put top grades on those manipulative devices/atitudes of politicians or lawyers
[as examples]...all manner of devious gymnastics in social, political, business are regarded as inspired.
the CW went so far as to be mesmerized by Rhodes Scholars as agile, adept leaders....and will soon become enthralled at the 'impeached ones' resurrection to prominence at the UN....

awhile back, i took the Offices Candidate Test, scored high enough and in so short a time as to draw attention to myself...whew, they found out i was only 17 and hadn't graduated H.S....I was told to apply for O.C.S. at my permanent duty station after i was 18 years old.
I later scored the highest GED test [for Pennsylvania] while in Nuremberg Germany.
to my world view, intelligence is keeping ones self out of the spotlight and
being average,,,having fun intelligence is doing a tourettes syndrome thing,
but, one of my proudest moments was when my son actually won his first, at the drop of a hat, chess games we'd have after his school hours.

that 'Beautiful Mind' movie was kinda haunting to me,
enjoyable & entertaining.....someones watching you too.
& banshees' meme about doing as thou will but hurting no-one
is also part of my make up.

137 is not mensa material, last i heard

^^

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

the nature of high intelligence is more the presence of nobel-honorable character and moral fiber, honesty, compassion, empathy...

That's wisdom. You should play a cleric or druid. lol j/k

But seriously, intelligence on a personal level only goes so far in life. A lot of intelligent people seem to forget wisdom. Maybe it's too tempting for people to use their intelligence to outsmart people rather than help them. I would rather be wise than smart personally. I don't know if that makes sense, I've been up 20 hours trying to adjust for jet lag.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I find I do better and better on IQ tests as years go by. I find it hard to believe that my brain is actually structurally improving (but who knows?). But I know that I am better at deliberately focussing on a task now.

IQ tests in fact measure a number of "skills/capacities" and then kick out a number. A comprehensively taken IQ score is more accurately expressed as a range rather than a fixed number. The range of scores can even swing from day to day. Furthermore, the tests themselves are changed and updated frequently. A measurement of 130 or 150 taken years ago doesn't necessarily at all mean the same as a 130 or 150 taken now.

The relationship between IQ scores and any kind of success at anything other than doing well on IQ test type questions is very difficult to establish except as someone wrote earlier, at the low end of the scale. People who consistently get 70 on IQ tests, consistently have problems learning a lot of things.

What is intelligence?
It sure isn't wisdom or judgement!

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I've tested with a high IQ, and won't specify the number, mainly because it can vary from test to test (which it did), and your mental powers also vary with age, how you feel that day, and so on. Its not a precise science, more of an indicator. I agree with those who point out the limitations of IQ measuring. There are a number of other factors in life that loom very large in how successful you are as a human being: emotional maturity, people skills, talents... so all is not lost if your IQ isn't up there!

But I was a member of Mensa for a while. I hate to say it, but I found them mainly to be a bunch of misfits. Also, of course, they were of such varied interests and beliefs that the only thing in common was the IQ... an impossible group to rally to any one cause or theme... like herding cats...

Special abilities? None, if you mean outstanding talents. Lousy artist, good music appreciation but can't play much, would like to write a book but haven't got down to it... have a good facility with language and am known in my work circles as a "wordsmith"... if I had to point to anything that sets me apart its an ability to perceive and reconcile complexities to find optimal solutions.

You should understand that if someone has a high IQ, they may have tested extremely high in say, the verbal category, but normal in the other two. Others may be good at 2 of the three, and some like me are moderately high in all. I think I prefer being well rounded. In any event, two people, even if they have the same overall IQ score, may have intelligence of quite different characteristics.

As far as the 1000 IQ is concerned, I can't imagine it. I don't think an average IQ person can really understand how I think (believe me, I experience that a lot!), and I think we can all appreciate that a retarded person can't understand how even an average person thinks. So I won't guess at the millenial IQ. I have a hunch, though, that the person would of necessity be a hermit - probably wouldn't be able to function in our world, any more than you or I could function in a world of 70 IQs.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I've had my IQ tested once professionally, when I was in 6th grade, and it was 161... which is extremely high. I think it's classified on the third tier of "genius" levels.

I only found that out a couple of years ago after I took one of those internet IQ tests, which I got a 150 something on, and my mom finally told me what I got in sixth grade; you aren't supposed to tell a child, obviously... but they did tell me my IQ was higher than JFK, so all I would have had to do is look up JFK's IQ and get a good idea.

But I never did look up JFK's IQ, because I didn't really care, you know why? Because I was already smart enough to know that having a high IQ wouldn't guarantee me straight A's; because I already knew that the system was not built around proving your abilities through IQ tests, but proving your ability to submit to conformity, and listen and do to what your teacher says. Get to class on time... do your homework... study for tests... get good grades... repeat, repeat, repeat...

Actually, I have to disagree with the theory that says "Just because you have a high IQ, it doesn't make you smart."

For example... I know plenty of people who are quite thin, but they excel brilliantly at school. They do schoolwork because they don't question why they have to do the schoolwork. They don't see "the long term", they get the pamphlet in the counselor's office that tells them how to prepare for the long term, so that they can go to college; they will go to college and excel; they will graduate and get a job; they will get married and move out to the suburbs... but their plans will be violently foiled when they won't have any more gas to put in their Suburban. They'll loose their job after that, when the Great Big depression happens... but these people will have a tough time with that, because nobody gave them a pamphlet on the great big depression, and they can't build a house and feed their kids with their college degree.

For example... I was diagnosed by my doctor when I was eight or nine, as being a prime candidate for developing a childhood ulcer. I worried so much about schoolwork that I would literally get sick. Eventually, I learned to chill out and not worry about it too much. I did this well until I got into high school, when the onset of my pessimism, ergo, depression, set in, and I failed many of my classes. Miraculously, I didn't care; for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to study for something that I knew I would not remember in the future. I hated submitting, and it put me in the bottom half of my graduating class. Because the next thing to do is college or imminent death, I chose to go to college for a while, until I recently decided to drop out, because I hated being tested on so many things at the same time.

That seems to be my ultimate diagnosis... that I have a one-track mind; when I'm interested in something, It's hard for me to focus my mental energy on something else. This pulls me in different ways, so my brain kind of locks up in the middle, and I daydream about things, think, theorize, think some more, until I realize that I'm getting nothing done, and then I get depressed, and then I get tired and fall asleep.

I take 20MG of Adderall XR and 20MG of Lexapro (SSRI/anti-depressant) every day to keep me normal; even after that I still dropped out of college. If I don't take that, I basically won't care about anything except for sleeping.

However, if I had a choice between having a lower IQ and having a higher IQ, I would take the IQ I have now. The big secret is... having a high IQ makes you smarter than somebody with a lower IQ. Just imagine if every job you got was based on your IQ, and your mental reasoning (mine is visual-spatial). That would not work in democracy. People who have higher IQ's would have a higher weighted vote... Lots of money would only be a reality for the smart people; the elite. Could the people with higher IQ's be running the world. Of course.

But they have psychological problems, too. I don't think that their tactics are kind, and ultimately, they can't come to amends with the fact that they are just a spec of an organism who is guaranteed a timely death, upon which they know that nothing they built on Earth will matter; such ignorance. The expansion of the human ego is the gravest threat to the planet's human incubator. These stupid "Illuminati" or whatever they call themselves, are dirt to this planet; and the planet knows that their ignorance is what will kill them. We aren't killing the planet when we destroy the ozone, we're just killing what the planet has given us to exist. Earth has given us hospitality and we have done nothing but take and take. The Earth knew that some degree of taking had to be possible, but if it became an excess... well, it's the human's problem. Do you think that the Earth will cease to spin in Nuclear holocaust? When the atmosphere ceases to accommodate conditions to allow human life on this planet, do you think that Earth will have a moment of silence for our stupidity? Of course not.

Millions of years later, Earth will ingest all of the things we have put on it's face, and they will simply melt under the intense friction and heat, it will digest all of this, everything you see now and I see here will at one point end up in it's original, organic form... we're building sandcastles, and the Earth watches us like we're children, and it's thinks it's cute; but the Earth knows that eventually the tide will come and sweep these sandcastles away.

This is an insanely beautiful process, but human intelligence is not matter.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   

But seriously, intelligence on a personal level only goes so far in life. A lot of intelligent people seem to forget wisdom. Maybe it's too tempting for people to use their intelligence to outsmart people rather than help them. I would rather be wise than smart personally. I don't know if that makes sense, I've been up 20 hours trying to adjust for jet lag.

Yes, I agree, wisdom is more important than intelligence. However, is wisdom, not applied knowledge to everyday life? When we say some people are "street-wise" we mean that they can function effectively in the everyday environment and converse with a cross-section of society. They maybe high-school drop outs, however if they can be succesful in their everyday life, they are surey more wiser than the the mathematics whiz kid, with no friends and no security.

I think there could be a general correlation between high intelligence and social skills, as in, they are inverserly related. However, intelligence itself is a multidimensional capability. It is comprised of many skills, such as creativity, verbal, mathematical, visual-spatial, social, emotional.

As a society we have a bias towards certain aspects of intelligence, in the following order: mathematical, social and verbal. It is enough to signify intelligence if a person is good at maths, at socializing or can speak good and lucid English. However, is this really intelligence or rather a social prejudice of intelligence?

All these skills can be learned and in short time. Yet, certain skills can't be taught and are individual and intuitive to the person. You can't teach someone mathematical, leadership or poetic genius. You can't make Einsteins, Mozarts and Hawkings. If this was not true, then they would not be so rare.

What sets them apart from others in society, is that they have their own voice, they do not conform. Most of them are reclusive, eccentric, weird, almost aliens to the rest of us, and this quality seems to be synoymous with intelligence. I think this is what true intelligence is, it's the ability to think independently, to break away from the world, and go inwards into yourself.

Those who learn their skills of intelligence, are not actually being independent or breaking away from societies rituals, in fact they are doing it because of society. Because they want to be famous, wealthy or just superior in some way to feel special. We all want to be accepted. Yet, in the case of true geniuses, there is a genuine detachment from society. They direct their sheer mind power on whatever problem they want to solve like a laser, with such flaming passion and stubborness, that they will literally lock themselves up in a room with themselves and their problem for years on end. As Einstein did.

This is somewhat similar to the Rishis of Ancient India, that would go under trees in the wilderness and medidate on a power for years on end, and eventually get it. Is this secret of the eastern masters, the key to genius? Is that what Einstein did? He meditated?

It has been shown in scientific studies that meditation does increase your intelligence and can physiologically and biologically enhance ones body. It is interesting that most of us consider the yogi, rishis, llams, as the true masters of wisdom. Yet, the vast majority of us cannot commit ourselves to meditation, because we have a social life to lead, and this is the same desire that great minds like Einstein overcame. Therefore, there must be a connection between meditation and genius.

Yet, who has the will power, determination and concentration to focus on one objective for years? Surely, this is skill in itself, that is very rare. I recall a story of Arjuna in the Mahabharata: While in his archery school, he and his class were assigned a task. They were asked to take aim at a wooden parrot that was attached high in a tree, and then were asked what they could see. Some said they could see only the branches of the tree. Some said they could see the body of the parrot and the branches of the tree. Some said they could only see the body of the parrot, the branches of the tree and the sky. Yet, when it Arjuna's turn to take aim, he could only see the eye of the parrot and nothing else. He was the only one to learn the true lesson behind the task.

Einstein, from a very young age, learnt to ask questions about nature. He grew up asking the same questions. In other words he built up his power of concentration by constantly thinking about the same questions. This is something we do not do. Yet, if we if we did, perhaps we could also cultivate genius within ourselves. It's the old adage "use it lose it" We need to start thinking independetly.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I can't stand those who supposedly have high IQ but obviously have low common sense.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I too have tested very high but to me it means nothing because the simple things like speech and grammer elude me. I also tend to suffer from some form of A.D.D. because I bore very easy. What I do have as what I would consider a gift is the ability to be a inventor and problem solver and it sounds like many of you have the same gift. Why don't we all get together and solve some major problem or create some thing that could change the world! I have done work on everything from hunting products to machinery but have much more to offer. Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
Sandge, will you elaborate on the 180 group for us.

I'll give you an example. I once worked with a guy named Tom, whose IQ tested at 186. He could read through a stack of financial documents once, and without ever putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) would come up with a financial model. He could literally process a dozen pages of spreadsheets in his head, and was never off by more than 5% or so.

BTW, he had a doctorate in music; no financial/mathematical training to speak of (other than that which is inherent in music).

To use my earlier analogy: I may jump from step A to step E, but Tom would jump to step R.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
blah blah blah blah blah blah

I got 138.All l have to say.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Luck, on the other hand, does nothing. Which is why I'd much rather be lucky than smart or talented... genius and talent take effort, luck doesn't.

the harder i work, the luckier i am....

for all you A.D.D 'victims' out there, ....it's a made up disease. an excuse to sell psychotropic drugs designed to dumb down the population.

you are 'normal' already, and short attention spans are the result of television. the constantly changing scenes, and rapid flashing images entrain the mind into expecting something new every few seconds. when the mind is left out in the cold of the real world, it seeks to interject these quick shifts in consciousness no longer being produced in the enviroment. 'A.D.D.' is a result of information overload. happily, pattern recognition is a side effect.

don't do legal drugs!

[edit on 18-1-2005 by billybob]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I find most people incredibly boring.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Indigo_Child, I was third out the gate with my attmepts to answer your question... as mention, a very good one. Taking into account most of the replies that have been shared here, how would you take this pool of information and put it to use? Could you concieve of the thought? All of us, in a room, addressing all the world issues, and we could come to a resolve on most of our concerns. We have a Bank of wasted talent as one can plainly see. If we were to compare what has been obvious, those that are in a position(s) that Controls our World..... what is missing? Honesty! Everyone (here) thus far has that one element of this thread that holds true, and share it. Its those that don't know, how little they know, that worry me, because they fear to ask for help. Regardless of how smart you are.... Realize when your not, this offers others to help with no reservations. Its a Human condition that we can't ingnore... I wish to keep Pride out of the equation, that would be defeating.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I am not sure how it affects the way I think, but I can recognize the fact that other people have different ways of understanding data that is presented to them. I value human life and animal life with the highest regard and feel sad when anyone dies, whether by natural means or otherwise. I think the pursuit of gaining money just to gain money often makes people lose track of what it really means to be human. As for ethics and values I know that personally I feel I have a higher value system when I look at the world and what is important, but that does not mean all people with High IQ share this belief. I think there are plenty enough smart people that are more then willing to take advantage of someone with less intelligence just because those people are easy prey. Heck most of your scam artists and con artists and criminal types actually have a higher then average IQ. This allows them to not only devise ways to scam people without being suspicious but to also avoid being captured or caught for long periods of time. I find that I can become highly irritated with people who have a lesser understanding of the mechanics of the universe. This being the application of common sense in how things work compared to just blind ignorance. This can make relationships difficult at times especially when you might have married someone with lesser intelligence yet in their mind they feel that you (with the higher IQ) can not possibly be right about some many different subjects.

I think people with Higher IQ’s are compelled to gain knowledge in a wide variety of subjects and interested just because the information is out there for them to posses and retain. Which I think to some people find disturbing that “smarter” people have desires to learn about odd or abstract things. Subject matter that sometimes average people lack the ability to understand. Such as micro atomic mechanics, most people lack the ability to understand that the world around them is not really how it is, but rather how they perceive it. Liquid, Solid, Gas, matter, animate, in-animate everything shares a common structure. Even down to the sub-atomic level. For me I understand that everything in the world and universe shares the same bond. From the insects and plants to Humans and Stars a part of one is also a part of the other and neither can exist without the other. Its as if you remove one Cog from the machine eventually the machine will stop even if it takes some time eventually that Cog’s function will become apparent and without it the machine will no longer operate. But at the time you may be too blind to understand the importance of that one Cog. Remember if it was not needed it would not have been there to begin with. This is the same for all life forms whether plant or animal if it was not needed then it would not have existed.

As for emotions I think I am highly susceptible to interacting with breaks in emotional harmony with those people around me. Maybe it is intuitive and just an understanding of body language etc or maybe it is more complex involving the emitted Alpha waves from other brains. Who knows but when I was younger I know that my ability for ESP was a lot stronger then it is today and my ability at pre cognitive recognition was a lot stronger as well.

Overall I think I am pretty creative, I can draw, design, paint, color match, create music, build from scratch, diagnose about anything and everything from my mind. I believe I have a good understanding of what GOD is.

As for someone with an IQ of 1000 while I consider this to be almost an impossibility it could be possible but for you to identify that person would be next to impossible, just based on the propensity for that person to basically self destruct. Reason being that if a person had an IQ of 1000 I believe they would be mentally insane. They would have such a huge understanding of the universe that I think they would test every limit of modern society which I am sure would get them killed in any number of ways. Thereby limiting the available time frame you could have to not only find this person but to be able to conceive tests that could theoretically test them up to an IQ of 1000. Remember the person conceiving the test must also have an IQ of 1000 to build a test to test someone else with an IQ of 1000. You can only develop a test as high as the smartest person developing the test.

I was tested by GATE at 138-142 as well as on the Mensa Aptitude Test.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Life with an above average IQ is not paradise. I am impatient and very demanding of others with regard to the quality of their work. I can get by with minimal effort on lots of things. That's great you may say; but the downfall is you are not really forced to master things, only to figure out how to solve problems or get around them. I never studied in high school and barely did in college. The downfall there is that now I am reading things for pleasure that I merely memorized in school out of necessity.

Being classified as gifted is not all it's cracked up to be. It opens doors to advanced classes in school but it's not always worth your parents reminding you of how fortunate you are to be smarter than others, how I'm not applying myself... My first thesis paper was a writeup on how parents of gifted people push them too far too fast too hard. Needless to say they didn't appreciate it.

At age 32 my IQ is down to 133. Of course I could be lying and you wouldn't know. But, others who have gone through the same pressures I described above will know what I'm talking about.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I was part of an experiment in college to chart the effects of 4 years of college on IQ scores, which are supposed to be stable throughout life. As a freshman, I scored a 155 on the revised Stanford-Binet. As a graduating senior, I scored a 148. There ya go.

Other tests Hmmm. On the 6th grade acheivement test, my reading ability scored as "post-college." On the high school ASVAB, the armed services test, I scored 97-99th percentile in "spatial relations." I come from a long line of mech and elec. engineers.

I scored a 1380 something on the SAT (I had par-TAYED the night before). I scored a 1760 something on the GRE the last time I took it, which was the day after I got home from mom's funeral . . .

Special Abilities
Well, I can burp and fart simultaneously, which is supposed to be anatomically impossible. I can also "burp-talk" through the alphabet as far as the letter S. . . . or burp-talk the Star Spangled banner as far as "twilight's." Frau Dr. is always infuriated when I to that, and says I'm going to hell.

Seriously, folks.
My father was a 5-th generation graduate degree-holder, and my mom had a matching education, So it is hardly surpising that I was home-schooled in the art of taking multiple-choice tests, for fun and scholarships.

I have always had a knack for language. I have a passing ability with Greek, Hebrew, German and Spanish, well enough to read newspapers with some work. I can get the basic gist of Spanish or Latin prose, enough to figure out the general contents.

Am working on Arabic and Aramaic right now. My mom was fluent in 7 languages, and held graduate degrees in both French and English Studies. Dad had four languages. In my family, people didn't whisper secrets, they merely switched to a language you didn't know. When mom & dad started talking latin, it was always about what Santa would bring. . .

I have a knack for engineering, chess, and solving puzzles, riddles. People used to give me those welded 3D puzzles you find at tourist attractions in the south; I usually solved them within minutes of reciept. I finally put my foot down and refused to get any more, and sold my collection in a garage sale.

I would agree with my mom, that academic excellence is actually about memory. My research papers have always been turned out in record time, because I can usually remember reference sources long term, and if I have held them, can usually find them in the library from memory (until they move the stacks!)

My view of IQ tests
If I issued a 3 digit number to all automobiles, ranking them in order of value, would you be interested? And my results were that a cadillac got a 180, a lincoln towncar got a 150, a porsche got an 85 and a motorcycle got a 25. Would you rush out and by the cadillac? I hope not--because my rating system is based on their suitability for taking your grandma to Furr's cafeteria for dinner on Mother's day!
My point is, that the criteria are more interesting than the result. It all depends on what you plan to do with the vehicle. Intelligence is like that, too. Do you want to diffuse a new and unusual bomb, that no one has ever seen before? Then I'd find someone who scored well on the Stanford-Binet IQ test, with all it's cute little puzzles. Do you want someone to build a memorial to the world trade center? If so, I probably would look at another measure of ability, like an architecture degree. The SB IQ test only measures one thing: the ability to take the test!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join