It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High IQ members and the nature of intelligence

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
to me IQ is material... like how much bling you have

your either stupid or not stupid.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Im convinced IQ numbers mean next to nothing. Anyone can be an albert einstein yet so many reject their imagination and they never experience what it could be like.

I have been thinking about the universe before and its gone so far as me seeing what the collisions of two universes causes, I can see it so vividly color texture it all there. All it took to see something from nothing was a little imagination.

Imagination is our greatest tool it allows us to do so many things.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Here is some new information on IQ. Reading the article may show us possible solutions for the decline. Seven points per generation since the seventies is pretty big. They know it is happening, just not for show why it is happening.

medicalxpress.com...

This testing was done in Norway but the article states that this is going on all over. Now they are looking at diet, but also this is related to genetic lines, which means that diet and genetics are related. What makes you smart may make me overloaded and unable to think properly and what I eat to control my ability to think could make you all messed up. It has a lot to do with the enzymes we produce and how we break down toxins metabolically.

IQ is the ability to reason, not the knowledge we have. But our ability to comprehend is better if we have knowledge to compare things to, College does not make you more able to reason, it increases your knowledge base. For the ones with high IQ, college may seem boring, it is too slow.
edit on 12-6-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo_Child
I was just thinking, actually always wondered, what is like to have a Higher IQ, how does it affect your way of thinking, your view of life, morals, ethics, values, spirituality, tolerance, relationships, emotions, communication and social skills, creativity. When you look at the world and at nature, what do you see, what do you think? We all see something different. Einstein for instance saw relativity by looking at a clock in a train. Newton saw gravity in a falling apple.

What special mental abilities do you have?

I call upon those who had their IQ's scientifically tested(in real life, not on the net) and have an IQ above 130 to answer the above and state what special mental abilities they have. This is for nothing but my child-like curiosity.

I also would like your opinion on how you think a person with an IQ of 1000 would be and what you think the nature of intelligence is. Please, specify your IQ.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Indigo_Child]

You're going to get a lot of different answers here. Everything from the "IQ doesn't mean anything" crowd to those that believe it does provide some with "gifted" abilities.

I can tell you from my own experience what I think it's a very good indicator of:

The ability to "connect the dots" between seemingly disparate and unrelated events to find the underlying connections and/or patterns that may exist.

I work with a small group of highly intelligent people. I believe most if not all of us probably have IQ's north of 145. I personally have been tested 3 times - twice in grammar school when everyone is tested and once as part of the selection process for a position I was seeking with a large network/IT/telecom company. All three were within 4 points of each other from 148-151.

It doesn't "mean" anything. But it does give you some insight into how the individual thinks & reasons. For whatever that's worth. Personally, I don't care - I look at everyone I meet individually and their "mind" is simply one of many things that inform me of what type of person they may be.

How kind they are, how they handle/use humor in their lives, how they interact with others, etc all matter to me a lot too.

edit on 6/12/2018 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo_Child

Many years ago I was astounded to hear that there are 7 types of intelligence.
Everyone has all 7 but there is one that dominates the others. If you find out what yours is - you can develop it and become a master. socialifestylemag.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Bu...Bu....But, in the high school in test that asked 9 questions about Shakespeare....

Dats too much, hey does it count that I did ok on the block and pulley logic to pull the cute little boat onto shore, yeah, I did good at boats.....what does that make me?......Squat....exactly Squat. Why, if they'd a asked how to spell pusilanimous, I'd a nailed that one....and recalcitrant, plus repugnant , are those spelled right?

They didn't even ask about iambic pentameter or nothing...me dum dum , run run chew gum gum
edit on 12-6-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
IQ aside I'm into predictions.....

I predict everyone on ATS is of high IQ. Or at least by all the postings here one would think that. Fact is no one is going to show personally claiming they are retarded...right??

Come on water heads....you know who you are!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo_Child

It sucks blue pill me

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I am just older and more cynical really. This doesn't seem to be the correct era for me to be alive. The whole "each person's reality" does not really fit with my logic and tends to exacerbate my cynicism....

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

I don't have to cop to it. Everyone knows.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: astral_ice

I also tested in the 98 percentile on the ASVAB. Could have chosen any occupation but Asthma kept me out of the military. I should have lied? My ROTC instructor told me to but I got nervous. Taken several IQ tests for fun. Once, I did an experiment where I took the same test sober, after drinking alot of beer, after smoking marijuana and after eating mushrooms. On mushrooms, I was basically retarded. Too busy staring at my hand and traveling through time to pay attention.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have been officially tested, and one thing I feel....that I am not anywhere NEAR as smart as those tests say I am. I'm not even sure I'd want to be. And no, I'm not going to say the score, because you wouldn't believe me anyhow, so what is the point?

Asking one if they think differently though, is a bit tricky. Here's why. We have no basis for comparison. Here's an example....when younger, I went for nearly 10 years before I realized my eyes were bad. I had nothing to compare my vision to "good" vision, so I simply didn't know. (I don't feel so smart now, hehe). But, when I finally got tested, and got glasses, I now knew how limited I was before....just...wow. I'm also colorblind, but again, unless I get those special glasses, I don't really know what I am missing here.

I suspect it is much the same to someone of less intelligence (or maybe not at all). A good friend of mine once said, "I wish I could just spend one day inside your head...to see the world the way you do, and think about it the way you do..." I considered it a great compliment...but it could be similar to how the OP is feeling. She often felt "not so smart", even though eventually she went from being a C college student, to a B student, in our group. But I knew she had it in her.

And just like anything else, we all have our things. One may be smarter. Another more talented. Another, may be both smarter AND more talented, etc. It is what it is. I get the attraction though, of wondering how another thinks. Another example, my wife's aunt is a billionaire. I've only seen her socially on two occasions in my life, but I remember once it came up, the price of things. To her, every insignificant thing was, "about $20". Whether a jug of milk, a gallon of gas, even a pack of gum, etc. To her, this $20 seemed such a trivial amount, that she mentally assigned it to everything. Proof positive that yes, we do have those who think completely in a different way than we do.... LOL.

edit on 12-6-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I don't have to cop to it. Everyone knows.

Me too my IQ is Kat

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Here is some new information on IQ. Reading the article may show us possible solutions for the decline. Seven points per generation since the seventies is pretty big. They know it is happening, just not for show why it is happening

I know why...

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I'm with you on this one. I have been tested and though I have always tested well I don't know how to reconcile the number they gave me with my view of myself. I do solve problems well and had a great career in R&D. Thinking outside the box was easy for me. I never even saw the box. It was always bigger than that.

I believe that when you are younger IQ is a good measure of ability. But I have found that as people get older and their skills specialize they display genius in their own fields of expertise. I have seen people whom I honestly believe were pure genius. And I have seen people whom I would not trust with a bucket of water, a sponge, and the instructions, "Wash this rock."

Sadly, the latter are far more abundant.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's a good point.

My father used to work on top secret stealth aircraft.

Yet, he'd curse and swear making even a minor home repair. LOL. So, genius in some things, but not so much in others.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

No, I don't!

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
I have seen people whom I honestly believe were pure genius. And I have seen people whom I would not trust with a bucket of water, a sponge, and the instructions, "Wash this rock."

Sadly, the latter are far more abundant.

I have met a lot of geniuses who purposely hide it, many times with drugs. So I assume there are more around than you would think. But the world is a harsh place for anyone too different.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The funny, but cruel part, is that while a kid, you don't realize you're smart...you just think everyone else is stupid.
It isn't intentional or mean, it's simply that you have no other frame of reference. So, if you want to be social, you just learn to hide it...once you understand the situation.

Though you can be your honest self around friends who get it.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
As an actual idiot I'm just proud I got enough to get out of the moron category.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join