It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High IQ members and the nature of intelligence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I was just thinking, actually always wondered, what is like to have a Higher IQ, how does it affect your way of thinking, your view of life, morals, ethics, values, spirituality, tolerance, relationships, emotions, communication and social skills, creativity. When you look at the world and at nature, what do you see, what do you think? We all see something different. Einstein for instance saw relativity by looking at a clock in a train. Newton saw gravity in a falling apple.

What special mental abilities do you have?

I call upon those who had their IQ's scientifically tested(in real life, not on the net) and have an IQ above 130 to answer the above and state what special mental abilities they have. This is for nothing but my child-like curiosity.

I also would like your opinion on how you think a person with an IQ of 1000 would be and what you think the nature of intelligence is. Please, specify your IQ.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I would hate to break your bubble, but IQ is nothing but a measure of a person's intelligence as indicated by an intelligence test; the ratio of a person's mental age to their chronological age.

It is not like people who have high IQ have a better understanding of life or have better lives.

IQ tests measure how much you can reason abstractly.

I haven't taken a full IQ test, but I bet I am about average IQ, maybe even less, but I doubt the people who have higher IQ would think any differently, given they are my same age.

Surf

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I've been tested. I have a high IQ...I won't tell what it is..because it doesn't matter. It does not equate to success in life, it does not equate to wealth or happiness, or being anything special. Actually your emotional Quotient is more important that Intelligence Quotient.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
O-my, I never had hope to have someone ask of me this... I have to confess, it was 160 in the military... now I"m not to sure? Age has been been my downfall.. I think I'm at around 50 now. (age.. uncertain after that)
Interesting question however... thanks for asking... it could go far by doing so. Or not... We have shy one's that lurk here.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I was tested when I was younger, and I did extremely well....and Ive noticed this, if anything...either 1) people will disbelieve next to everything you say....or 2) the exact opposite...But as a whole, I only think IQ's come into play if youre WAY BELOW "normal"....

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessemole
Age has beenbeen my downfall.. I think I'm at around 50 now.

Exactly. The ability to reason showly reduces as you age, and the IQ tests abstract ideas, which is why it isn't an exact measure of intelligence.

Surf

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Mine was rated at 141 when i was still in high school,
and strangely enough... was rated at 132 when i was tested shortly after college...

so either all the drugs in college killed some IQ or it isn't as exact as they want you to think...
I also couldn't understand how they think it isn't somewhat cultually biased....
and knowledge biased... my education certainly gave me an edge on some questions...

but i still can't add simple numbers some days... so i don't think it means as much as they would like us to believe...

and I also find that some concepts that my friend who flunked high school has down pat, i can barely comprehend...
so...
i think IQ matters very little in regards to daily life...

I do have some wild thought trails though... that I can't explain to freinds, much less totally understand myself... I now understand quantum physics mainly due to the solar system and an atom...

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I had my IQ tested in school and it was high enough (I think around 140) for them to put me in the gifted program. Unfortunately I haven't made any great discoveries yet though...

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Indeed, science can only approximate the nature of intelligence. I assert that "gifted" individuals are able to readily & efficiently adapt to any presented situation. Problem-solving skill is based on the ability to accurately evaluate the availability of resources in the environment, as well as one's own ability to utilize these resources for the intended purpose. In other words there has been a refinement of evolutionary adaptation.

An intelligence test is an extremely blunt tool, to say the least.

MK

[edit on 17-1-2005 by MKULTRA]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have a couple of friends who are in Mensa, an organization of "gifted" people. I have been invited to a couple of thier 'dos' and found them to be pretty slow in the social outlook. I'm not saying that intelligence and socialization are the components of a zero-sum game, but there does seem to be some correlation.

I'd always figured "intelligence' was the ability to reason coherently, based on whatever data was available, and to avoid letting what you want to believe get in the way of what really is.

To be honest, I don't see much of that brand of "intelligence" here.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
I have a couple of friends who are in Mensa, an organization of "gifted" people.

Mensa isn't an organization of or for gifted people. It's a society whose only membership requirement is to have taken an accredited IQ test and placed in the top two percentile points.

There are some gifted people in that category, and many gifted people who don't measure in the top 2% of IQs as measured by accredited tests.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I have scored high on a real IQ test, I won't tell you how much either, but being that I didn't take the test or know the results until well after my education had begun, I cannot honestly say that having high IQ is what shaped my beliefs or way of thinking. I formed all my morals, values, etc due to physical interaction with people in my life and I can say that almost everyone in my family shares the same values and morals as I, that I believe is due to our upbringing not our intelligence levels because they are quite of few members of my family, (the ones who shaped my morals) that are completely illiterate.

special mental abilities? I read really fast, I remember most of what I read, I can tell you about books I read when I was 5, I really good at copying artwork, see a picture and draw it type thing. nothing really special unless you count my "paranormal" experiences but that I don't necessarily believe is directly a special mental ability, perhaps a combination of spiritual and mental, but definitely not all mental.

You can have the highest IQ in the world and still be a total idiot to me. IQ is by no way a measure of the likeability or general knowledge of an individiual, it doesn't take into account street smarts and other learned behaviors that really don't prove intelligence but still counts when evaulating how smart a person is.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
I have a couple of friends who are in Mensa, an organization of "gifted" people. I have been invited to a couple of thier 'dos' and found them to be pretty slow in the social outlook. I'm not saying that intelligence and socialization are the components of a zero-sum game, but there does seem to be some correlation.

I'd always figured "intelligence' was the ability to reason coherently, based on whatever data was available, and to avoid letting what you want to believe get in the way of what really is.

To be honest, I don't see much of that brand of "intelligence" here.

Hey Off-The-Street... thanks for that vote of confindence!, I'm a dead give away on some of my spelling when my mind goes faster thenmy typing...
(amoung other things) And of course very little time that I have and should spend here.. Now how smart this that? Now were talking about a weakness,, different thread I guess!

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
IQ is by no way a measure of the likeability or general knowledge of an individiual

What are the measures of likeability or general knowledge?

Why are they important?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
I would hate to break your bubble, but IQ is nothing but a measure of a person's intelligence as indicated by an intelligence test; the ratio of a person's mental age to their chronological age.

It is not like people who have high IQ have a better understanding of life or have better lives.

IQ tests measure how much you can reason abstractly.

I haven't taken a full IQ test, but I bet I am about average IQ, maybe even less, but I doubt the people who have higher IQ would think any differently, given they are my same age.

Surf

That would be "burst your bubble" I know, I know, it's rather cheap to correct someones grammar. However, I am indicating this to you to illustrate one aspect of intelligence; verbal. Further, If I'm am not mistaken the correlation between IQ and choronlogical age becomes lesser, to the point of negligible, after adult age. It is considered that by the age of 20 or so, a person is fully mentally developed and will not develop any further.

However, this is actually incorrect, as recent studies have shown that the brain is like a muscle that can be trained later in life too. However, I am sure there is some biologically limiting factors too. For instance, after a certain crucial age, growth hormone decreases and it becomes more difficult to gain muscles.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
There is a fine line between Genius and Insanity......my personal
opinion is that there will never be a written or oral test that can truly test a persons intelligence. Be who you are, the rest is intuition.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Had my IQ tested to be 141. Was in alot of gifted classes in school. Big deal. I never attended college, no desire. I personally think college actually lowers the ability to think for ones self, and solve basic problems, but thats just me.

IQ means didly squat in anything really. Human intelligence is made up of more than one part, its a collection of many parts, and all those other parts are ignored. Unless your intelligence is really low, then the only difference between high and average IQs are the person, and how they live and react.

The only personal difference I experience is frustration when I try and explain some abtraction thats clear to me, that others simply cannot grasp, but thats about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
What are the measures of likeability or general knowledge?

Why are they important?

should have been likeability and general knowledge

likeability (not looks) is important, if a person has no social skills, his high IQ is not going to get him/her far with me. Knowledge is one thing but being able to express and share that knowledge in a manner in which people listen and understand and can feel part of a discussion is not a factor when evaluating someone's IQ.

as for general knowledge, take for example an illiterate farmer, he can't read or write, but he knows astronomy, geology, meteorology and more. I consider him a smart man, even though his IQ would prove otherwise.

hope you get what I was trying to say there MA, as you can see, even though I have a high IQ, sometimes I cannot speak or even write properly

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
IQ is a strange thing. I tested at 158 but can barely spell and have worked low-end jobs my whole life.

I dont really trust the scores some of the smartest people I have ever meet couldnt read or right.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKULTRA
Indeed, science can only approximate the nature of intelligence. I assert that "gifted" individuals are able to readily & efficiently adapt to any presented situation. Problem-solving skill is based on the ability to accurately evaluate the availability of resources in the environment, as well as one's own ability to utilize these resources for the intended purpose. In other words there has been a refinement of evolutionary adaptation.

So, do you think intelligence is pre-determined by birth?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join