It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A White Supremacist Quote By Napoleon??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Hi guys I need so help here, I came across a white supremacist quote supposedly made by Napolean, the problem is try as I might I cannot find an original text or source for this quote, if anyone out there have a confirmed source pls post, as I don't want to drag his name through the mud based off misinformation.

“My decision to destroy the authority of the blacks in Saint Domingue (Haiti) is not so much based on considerations of commerce and money, as on the need to block for ever the march of the Blacks throughout the world

I was looking into the Haitian revolution for a deeper understanding of Frances failure and the eventual failed state through blockade and stifling of trade from other nations, plus the fact that Napoleon had Black units and generals in his army.

Will be off line for most of the day, so response will not be immediate .
Much thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Time to erase him from history, eh?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I've had a quick look for the phrase in original French and didn't find it. Like I said though 'quick look.'

It seems to predate the anti-Abolitionist movement as references point to the writings of Toussaint Louverture. It wouldn't particularly surprise me if he'd said it, but neither would it be a surprise to find anti-Abolitionists had put words in his mouth to promote the values of slavery.

The term 'blacks' could be a liberty with translation when something like nègre would be more likely. If nobody else finds it first, I'll spend some time on it this weekend as I'm interested.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Although the source has been called a tabloid, this link may be of interest to you...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Here is an interesting read with the quotation you mention used in context.

NEH Humanities Site

Seems the quote was to stop the military advancement to other islands

mg
edit on 1-7-2016 by missed_gear because: Grammer

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
I think the term "white supremacist" is

A) bullsit

Thank you for thinking.. but I know that.... you are wrong! , but we can argue that point on another day separate thread.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have no difficulty in believing that Napoleon would have preferred white rule over black rule. That would just make him a normal white man of his century.

I'm just a little sceptical that someone in that era would have felt cause to fear "Blacks throughout the world". The phrase seems anachronistic.

My personal opinion is that the whole of the internet is a compromised source as regards claims like this. You need to find the quotation documented in a book, a printed book. If he ever said it, in a speech, in a letter, in his table conversation, it will be written down somewhere.

edit on 1-7-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Kandinsky
Arizonaguy
Missed_grear
Thanks for your response and links, that's close to what is was searching for, the additional insights and context were great, yes he was a brilliant general but also a monster which we would hardly tolerate today, at the same token he would not have been out of place for his era, the General that followed Toussaint, a scared and brutalized ex-slave called Jean-Jacques Dessalines, slaughtered every white French person he could find on the Island, sparing not even children, he reportedly called some of those who had escaped his wrath to come back and settle upon on arrival he had them slaughtered.

Napoleon could have kept Haiti if he had just given up on the idea of slavery , Toussaint made him that generous offer , that and his cruelty cost him the island and indirectly Louisiana.

edit on 1-7-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join