It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A quote from Benjamin Franklin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I think a lot of members on these boards and people in real life need to slow down a bit and read this quote a few times and really digest it because it very much applies to what is happening on a world stage today.

What is the greatest friend to coercion and manipulation? FEAR. It is how America got dragged into the Middle East in the first place, it is what facilitated our unlawful war in Iraq, it is what passed the Patriot Act and caused the rise of the TSA. Those in power use fear as a way to get what they want from the masses, that much should be obvious to anyone who knows how they work and I would hope those who regularly visit a conspiracy site such as this would be aware of this blatant fact.

Today we have ISIS, which is obviously a tool used by those in power to make people fearful and willing to give up some of their liberties for a bit of temporary safety. Benjamin Franklin was well aware of how those in power have worked throughout history, fear has been their greatest ally. It is no different today, they are using death and destruction to make people act and think irrationally.

We have some people who think that profiling an entire religion is a good idea, they are willing to sell other people's essential liberty of privacy in order to buy themselves a bit of temporary safety. They are falling for the same tactics that were used on 9/11 and that have been used for all of recorded history. People are gullible when they are afraid and will try to protect themselves and their family at whatever cost, that includes giving some of their freedoms away for that safety. No matter how irrational that fear is, they give in to it.

What is ISIS' goal? Terror and fear. If we give into the fear they are trying to spread by changing our way of life and stripping certain people of their freedoms and privacy, we are letting them win, we are allowing them to turn "the land of the free" into something entirely different from what the Founding Fathers envisioned for our country. If we give in to the fear, they have won, and in my opinion they are well on their way to achieving that victory because of the gullibility of people they have made afraid, that includes those who are ok with profiling Muslims or anything else that takes away freedom and liberty for security.

Stop acting irrationally and think about what you are supporting, you are supporting an ISIS victory by giving in to the fear.

I just wanted to post this to maybe help some people see past the propaganda that is being spread through the actions of ISIS and the MSM. I will not respond to this thread, I just thought I'd give everyone something to think about.

Thank you for reading.
edit on 6/30/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
They don't care, as long as it isn't spying on them then it is fine.
But once you say we need to start profiling domestically, this quote will be all over the boards.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
FEAR???? If I gave into my FEAR, then that would mean I have to vote for..............

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Today we have ISIS, which is obviously a tool used by those in power to make people fearful

Looks like they are doing well enough on their own without any form of government intervention

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Ooooooooh I see what you did there!

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Yea Franklin was actually writing about colonial government being asked, or forced, to cede their powers to tax colonial lands in order to secure funding for security on the frontier.

It had nothing to do with personal liberty, and this is one of the most bastardized quotes thanks to the interwebz. Does it apply? Sure, when you ignore the context of it. The irony that a quote about not taking power away from the government has been spun into a quote about personal liberty is thick.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Huh never knew that, that is quite ironic.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I'm going to go back on what I said about not responding because I didn't know this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I still stand by my OP though and believe the quote still applies when personal liberty is taken into account.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Long story short: colonial legislature wanted to tax lands owned by the Penn family. Penn family got the governor to keep vetoing their tax bills. Several of them. The legislature was told to stop trying to tax the lands, which was their right (liberty) if they wanted money for protection on the frontier (security).

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Let me be clear: I absolutely do not disagree with the premise of your OP. Not a bit. I've said the same sentiment more than once myself.

Just not with that quote

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Sounds like old mob rules. Thanks for the information.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The quote might actually have more to do with today's gun control efforts.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

This quote was in my mind after Bush enacted the Patriot Act and after Obama extended and expanded it.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well there's a reason we did a Brexit before it was cool

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Serious question, and yes I spend a lot of time here, why are so many people afraid? I drive through the worse part of my metro area twice a day, yes I am aware, but I am not afraid. I watch politics, because I want to be aware. I walk the streets of my metro often, but do not cower in fear, but am aware of my surroundings. I am not a CCW holder, but am a black belt in karate, why are people so afraid?

ETA: We begin dying the day we are born, I am confused about why some are so scared to die, especially the believers in an hereafter.
edit on 6/30/2016 by BubbaJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think profiling a religion is perfectly correct when they are the ones blowing # up and killing people worldwide.

I ask you, If a chapter of the KKK moved into your town would you scrutinized them? But you will welcome the muslim brotherhood being in our govt?

CAIR with their litigation jihad.... The muslim problem is real. honor killings are real.

You probably know the name Pamela Gellar? islamaphobe right? because she calls it as she see's it.

So if you are going to give up liberty for political correctness, you don't deserve it

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
I think profiling a religion is perfectly correct when they are the ones blowing # up and killing people worldwide.

I ask you, If a chapter of the KKK moved into your town would you scrutinized them? But you will welcome the muslim brotherhood being in our govt?

CAIR with their litigation jihad.... The muslim problem is real. honor killings are real.

You probably know the name Pamela Gellar? islamaphobe right? because she calls it as she see's it.

So if you are going to give up liberty for political correctness, you don't deserve it

I don't give up anything for PC, but I will defend equality for all to the end of my days.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I think a lot of members on these boards and people in real life need to slow down a bit and read this quote a few times and really digest it because it very much applies to what is happening on a world stage today.

What is the greatest friend to coercion and manipulation? FEAR. It is how America got dragged into the Middle East in the first place, it is what facilitated our unlawful war in Iraq, it is what passed the Patriot Act and caused the rise of the TSA. Those in power use fear as a way to get what they want from the masses, that much should be obvious to anyone who knows how they work and I would hope those who regularly visit a conspiracy site such as this would be aware of this blatant fact.

These men, our founders, had very rare insight in regards to Government... thus, the Bill of Rights was created.

They knew what future generations would face if we let our guards down... they specifically warned us to stay out of foreign entanglements. ( We didn't listen... and here we are.) They warned us about the world bankers, and the world banks (We didn't listen... and here we are.)

Now, the Obama administration, (along with the government run propaganda mills of the MSM), would have us believe that we can only stop terrorists if we have a big "love-in", and hand over the rights that we have to own firearms ...

Bull.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Double post

edit on 1-7-2016 by madmac5150 because: My cat made me

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

But myself, being a tax payer am sending money to be used for security of my property and prosterity. So the question in turn is how is this statement wrong if I don't want my money for how the government wants to provide security. I share his sentiments.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join