It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Sen. John Kerry criticizes election outcome at Martin Luther King Jr. Day breakfast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Proclaiming that thousands of Americans were "denied Democracy", Senator John Kerry criticized President Bush and decried voter disenfranchisement. Speaking at a breakfast honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Kerry stated that while he would not challenge the vote, "thousands were suppressed in the effort to vote."

www.sfgate.com
Sen. John Kerry, in some of his most pointed public comments yet about the presidential election, invoked Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy on Monday as he criticized President Bush and decried reports of voter disenfranchisement.

The Massachusetts Democrat, Bush's challenger in November, spoke at Boston's annual Martin Luther King Day Breakfast. He reiterated that he decided not to challenge the election results, but "thousands of people were suppressed in the effort to vote."

"Voting machines were distributed in uneven ways. In Democratic districts, it took people four, five, eleven hours to vote, while Republicans (went) through in 10 minutes -- same voting machines, same process, our America," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, what a case of sour grapes. If he felt this strongly about it, why didn't he challenge the vote on elections day. What this is is simply more rhetoric coming from his camp. He must be jockeying for some position within the Senate. The Democrats need to shape up or face a repeat of this election in 2008, Hillary or not. I would have thought by now that the party would have focused on fixing internal issues rather than beating the same old dead horse again and again.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Senator John Kerry is right. We've been denied our right to pick presidents in a legitimate way.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Another example of Kerry telling a special-interest group what they want to hear. If he really believed this nonsense he would have challenged the vote like FredT said.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Senator John Kerry is right. We've been denied our right to pick presidents in a legitimate way.

Comeon now, if that was true, it would have been covered int he media and here on ATS from day one. As it is it has lost steam in both locations because Bush won, and there is no smoking gun. Nobody could cover thier footprints that well.

If the Democrats want to spend the next 4 years crying on thier shoulders over this supposed "fraud" rather than fixing the internal issues within the party, then you can kiss off any chance in 2008 and maybe put 2012 in jeapardy as well. Contrary to what you may believe, us Republicans here in Nor Cal, are really Democrats in most Red States. So if the Dems can put a real candidate with fresh ideas instead of a party stooge like Kerry or any of the others that ran I might consider voting for em. But looks like its the same old story from the Democrats :shk:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Proclaiming that thousands of Americans were "denied Democracy", Senator John Kerry criticized President Bush and decried voter disenfranchisement. Speaking at a breakfast honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Kerry, stated that while he would not challenge the vote, "thousands were suppressed in the effort to vote".

How did he explain his decision not to challenge the vote, then?

Did he tell them that his lawyers convinced him that he got his butt handed to him and any challenge would be futile?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Kennedy should have run for president rather then complain all the time, as he does. He is noted for that, yet never ran for president. I wonder why?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Fred, i still love ya. You dont have to agree with me, i understand

Here's a man who bowed out gracefully , didnt make waves at all, inspite of the thousands of lawyers the Republicans said he had. Then there are the black boxes and all the supposed hacking, the exit poles, etc., he did nothing and bowed out gracefully. Now he says something and he's an evil-no-good sore loser. I know its hard to some to comprehend but half of this nation does not fall for the fact that Bush won it fair and square. It wasnt fair and square the first time either.
Yes, maybe we will feel like this for the rest of our life...what a way to live. As soon as i see something good come out of these next 4 years, i'll point it out. So far, nothing.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Fox screams stolen election in Washington this past week due to deceased registered voters, yet when an attempt is made to expose the thousands of disenfranchised voters across the nation in november it was targeted as liberal lunacy. Anyone who cannot see Diebold for what it is needs their head examined.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Wow, what a case of sour grapes.

You're kidding, right?

Did you observe ANYTHING about the way the FOI requests were managed? Did you read ANYTHING about the withholding of machines from densely populated areas, queue lengths, misdirection of voters by officials?

If you believe there is nothing to be fixed, where are your grapes at, man?

Yep, democracy is a dead horse in the USA with apathy like that.

The author of this topic seems to take it from a "news item" to something worthy of the former US Political Mudpit in two posts. Why is that?

[edit on 17-1-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Here's a man who bowed out gracefully , didnt make waves at all, inspite of the thousands of lawyers the Republicans said he had.

Just so we have our facts straight...

Tuesday, on Brit Hume’s Special Report, a Kerry campaign official announced that Kerry campaign attorneys will challenge the election results “even if President Bush is the clear winner”. The Kerry campaign also announced that it has “10,000 lawyers”, strategically stationed in every state, to file lawsuits should President Bush be reelected.

www.mensnewsdaily.com...

They didn't even have the grapes to carry out their hollow threats.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
A little to late to spout out about this now, all show and tell after the fact. I am sure he means well, but the timing is really off to say it now!

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Another example of Kerry telling a special-interest group what they want to hear. If he really believed this nonsense he would have challenged the vote like FredT said.

Even if you set aside the truth or fiction of his statement, it reflects very poorly on him. John Kerry promised his supporters that every vote would be counted. He took on the responsibility of representing them. If he believes the things he is saying now, and I think he does, then he betrayed all of those who trusted him. I dont know why he did it. For the good of the party? For the good of the system (which he believes to be corrupt)? For whatever reason this man who has been decorated for actions under fire has tucked tail and run without regard for his constituents.
Shame on him for not sticking to his guns and standing by his principles.

Edit: Ironic that he should show this side of himself on the day which honors a man who took a bullet because he took a stand for those who needed him.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

LOL other than the privilege the legislature of the state you live in gives you there is no constitutional right for any of us to pick the president.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
come on now Fred T:
be fair..... if he had contested the vote at that time., he would have had every FredT in the nation saying "what a sore loser"...
so allow him his statements..., it was a very mature thing for him to accept the vote (it also was smart, since the next 4 years were gonna suck anyhow) .
it is true that many were denied the ability to vote, and with overwhelming bias to democrats being help back... (not exclusively though)
both sides played dirty... and both should be investigated...

I was challenged at my district and made them call it in to the election board. I also had to re-register a month before the election, because i had read that many democrats were being cut from the lists (I had been) , even after living in the same district for over 14years...
... If i hadn't pushed them, then i would have been denied voting... I am sure that the situation was copied all over the country because i am NOT anything special... and most others were not that prepared to defend there rights...

check your facts on a very informative website called blackboxvoting.com or the more liberally biased version on blackboxvoting.org

deny ignorance... they have many verified examples that show that our election system is messed up totally. (we had districts that had more votes than people and others that had negative votes for the democratic runner)...
so can you tell me how that happened if we truly could trust our election process?
The only option is that our election was tainted... THE ONLY INTELLENGENT OPTION... anything else is selective ignorance...

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
In ten years, I see two destitute gentlemen in an alley. One walks up to the other, who is sitting against a wall drinking hooch from a bottle in a paper bag.

The newcomer sits down. "Hi. My name is John. Can you spare a drink? I was almost President of the United States once."

The other man hands him the bottle and gives him an appraising glance. "You too? It's a small world. You can call me Al."

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
That crystal ball thing is pretty funny, but if the political elite end up on the streets, where does that put you and me? I'm not saying that Bush ruined the economy- I'm just saying that he hasn't saved it yet.
Your prediction may be correct though given the way that our country has been run for most of my short lifetime. That leaves me with only two questions.
Where are they taking us, and whats with the hand-basket?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Mr. Kerry criticizes election outcome?
Has he been talking to Al Gore lately?
Wow, and to think that they are both liberal Democrat's, too....

And to think that Majic has that crystal ball all locked up, eh?

seekerof

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Mr. Kerry criticizes election outcome?
Has he been talking to Al Gore lately?

Was Kerry silencing congressman after the election who were testifying that their constituents were disenfranchised? The majority of whom were democratic constituents.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me. What surprises me is that people still take the election and both big parties seriously.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Does this Kerry have any proof of this?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Did he tell them that his lawyers convinced him that he got his butt handed to him and any challenge would be futile?

"Butt handed to him"? Give it a rest! ATSNN members are too well-informed for that brand of B$.

You're sounding like those right-wing idols Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter, and O'Reilly. Never mind the facts, just spout off!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join