It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 years ago Almost 60,000 British soldiers were killed, wounded or taken prisoner on day 1

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
WW1 was such a different war from all others. Technology was advancing at an incredible rate, biological warfare had no restrictions, and war strategy could not keep up with the other two.

So many soldiers fought and died in HUGE numbers during their battles.

Truly a great generation. Of course, they raised the WW2 generation which matched their grit well.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The Somme battle(s) last for 5 months before petering out in November

Haig had a naive expectation of success, seemed to believe in the old saying that "GOD Must Be An Englishman"

Stationed miles behind the front had little appreciation of the conditions and limitations of what could be done

The artillery bombardment failed to neutralize the Germans because many of the shells fired were shrapnel wjich
was totally ineffective against fortifications . What HE (high explosive) fired suffered from defective fuses some 25-30%
of shell failed to explode

The belts of barbed wire in front of the Germans trenches survived mostly intact channeling British troops toward
what gaps did exist presenting perfect targets

Also British troops attacked in full kit carrying over 60 lbs slowing the advance

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I realize my comment will be as welcome as a fart at a garden party, but here goes. the British Royal Family are actually German Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. They betrayed their own country in WW1 and WW2.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
World War One ,
The Great War ...

The Start of the New Technology on the battle Field

War Planes , Airships, Huge Tanks , Machine Guns, Chemical Warfare and Biological too ,
Motor Trucks to Motorcycles,

Im Fascinated of World War One ,

All Started from a Serb Killing A Austrian Royal..

( This Guy )

Gavrilo Princip
en.wikipedia.org...

and this Guy Wouldn't Back Down

Wilhelm II, German Emperor
en.wikipedia.org...

He Started a Feud with His Cousins Royals

King George V
Czar Nicolas

Millions Dead because of these three , A Personal Feud ..

Family Feud: The Three Cousins Who Led Europe Into the First World War
www.theworcesterjournal.com...

And America eventually got involved into the War ( Major Cause ) because of a Ocean Liner
was Torpedoed Lusitania was Sunk b as it was claimed it was holding Armament and Ammunition

Secret of the Lusitania: Arms find challenges Allied claims it was solely a passenger ship

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
www.dailymail.co.uk...

from the trenches
Lusitania's Secret Cargo Volume 62 Number 1, January/February 2009
by Erin Mullally
archive.archaeology.org...

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkstar57
I realize my comment will be as welcome as a fart at a garden party, but here goes. the British Royal Family are actually German Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. They betrayed their own country in WW1 and WW2.

Right and the offspring Daughters ( 85 percent (Germanic ) of Queen Victoria became the Mommys

So The Royals of that Line Spread in Europe !

The British Royals were back then

were More German aka Prussian ( Holy Roman Empire ) then British

as they are practically are today...

static1.squarespace.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">The Family Tree

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
WW1 was such a different war from all others. Technology was advancing at an incredible rate, biological warfare had no restrictions, and war strategy could not keep up with the other two.

So many soldiers fought and died in HUGE numbers during their battles.

Truly a great generation. Of course, they raised the WW2 generation which matched their grit well.

And it was all because of a wrong turn.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

What about those 100 + millions of people The British helped slaughter in North America and the millions in Australia? Does it only matter when people die on the "good" side?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

Thanks Wolfenz i had forgotten about the Lusitania and the Franz Ferdinand angle to the war

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BLee8127

As one member pointed out in this thread , We are not taught these things at school in our respective countries , Ask most people the word holocaust everyone thinks of 1939-45 yet as we know there have been many both before and after those dates China ,Ukraine ,Cambodia to name a few.

The world is a bad place

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
a reply to: Sillyolme

I am sorry to say that in some parts of the U.K that the young honour those dead by spray painting the memorials or stealing the plaques from them to sell for scrap sadly enough

And in Essex England it appears one woman climbed up on a war memorial and URINATED In daylight

I hope the judge craps on her from a great hight www.dailymail.co.uk... tory.html?ITO=1490

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

Haig made the mistake that leads to many military failures - He made an assumption and failed to check something that could be checked.

The assumption was that the 7 day artillary barrage preceeding the battle would have killed virtually all the Germans in the trenches. This tactic was very successful at one of his recent battles, however then the German position had a very high water table so the defences were shallow, and actually above ground in many areas. They were easily destroyed and occupied with hardly a shot being fired by the infantry.

He assumed that the same tactic would be effective at the Somme. The infantry would advance and occupy a destroyed position full of dead enemy. Therefore each soldier was loaded with over 30kg of entrenching equipment to allow them to repair the damage in the occupied position.

On the Somme however the ground was chalk, allowing the Germans to dig elaborate shelters up to 30ft deep. The artillary was completely ineffective. It did not destroy the dugouts or the wire in most places. Again little research had been done to test the effectiveness of high explosives on wire. As soon as the barrage stopped the Germans got out of their holes and set up their machine guns.

The rest is history. The whistles blew, the Tommies advanced in order and were cut down at a rate of 8 a second. They were funneled and slowed by the wire and the equipment they carried, which also prevented them taking cover.

Two of my great grandfathers were killed on the Somme. Their names are on the Thiepval Memorial. They were part of the 36th Ulster division, which was one of the few units to achieve their aim on the Somme. They had used their initiative and, during the preceeding 7 day bombardment, they had pushed forward small trenches up to the wire and used small teams to cut and remove it. This allowed them to advance rapidly when the whistles blew. Indeed they were so fast that they took fire from their own artillary which was still firing.

They took and held the Schwaben Redoubt for a time, but were forced to give it up later in the day as the supporting units on either side failed and the Ulstermen were flanked on both sides.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BLee8127

What about those 100 + millions of people The British helped slaughter in North America and the millions in Australia? Does it only matter when people die on the "good" side?

No, the British didnt kill "Millions" of natives in Australia.
There was only ever a couple of 100 thousand humans on this continent at that time.
The natives lived with the land, not against it. So in good years they had children (one or 2).
In bad they didn't..it was/is a harsh land......
The British did kill 1000s of natives tho, but not how you think.
Mainly by accident, via white European diseases unknown in the great southern land....
The common cold, VD, etc etc....
There were skirmishes with the locals and the invading Europeans, of course...
But there was no war, or policy to eradicate.....but there was a policy to assimilate into white culture.
They thought they were doing the right thing, to them.

Anyway, back on topic.
400,000+ Australians volunteered to fight for the British Imperial Forces, out of a population of 5 million.
Including my Grandfather, who fought in the middle east and survived.
And my Great Uncle, my Mothers Uncle whom she never met, died in the fields of France at 21yo when a bomb went off next to him and took his head clear off.....as per the witness report.
He was a second generation Prussian from the colony of South Australia.....so in effect, he was fighting his cousins.
A total and absolute waste of humanity, resources, time and effort.
Also note, the "Army tank" was invented by an "Australian" and given to the British army around 1912ish.
Remember, in those days ALL Australians were considered British and full British subjects.
Even when I was young, the National Anthem was God Save The Queen, and we sung it on occasions.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
All I can say. www.youtube.com...

If you're going to post a song written by Eric Bogle, at least post Eric's version as well. ;-)

www.youtube.com...

( he also wrote "The band played "Waltzing Matilda" " www.youtube.com...)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
My mind was entrapped in this ugly timespace hell's mood vortex for almost a week.
Damn, I shouldn't have watched additional documentaries.
The evil tumor wasn't cut in the WWII at all. It just shapeshifted into Mao and others. They wouldn' be able to lead their countries if they weren't in peoples' hearts. You can feel the same eagerness to this day. And oh yeah - voluntarism.
It's hereditary. The experience is not. Those who learned something died. It's forgotten two generations later. We only hate the smell of old houses but we don't know why.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Recruiters turned a blind eye, despite many of the volunteers looking as if they hadn’t started shaving. The youngest authenticated soldier was Sidney Lewis, who enlisted in the East Surrey Regiment when he was just 12 years old and fought at the Somme the following year.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Recruiters turned a blind eye, despite many of the volunteers looking as if they hadn’t started shaving. The youngest authenticated soldier was Sidney Lewis, who enlisted in the East Surrey Regiment when he was just 12 years old and fought at the Somme the following year.

I used to run errands for a elderly Gentleman who fought in this campaign when i was young , a wise old gentleman and he told me the real reason the Boers surrendered was because of the age of the soldiers facing them

samilhistory.com...

Sun Zhu thesis made perfect sense Gen Joseph McMoneagle quote about 100.000.000 dying per year made in a war me wonder What if

edit on 24/10/2018 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
100 years is such a short am of time ago.

Ever see that video of a ww1 or some crazy battle.

Brutal

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Think about this sacrifice and hoe just a few short years later they were at it again.......as if nothing ever happened.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
OP: Soldiers die. That's our job, so you, or your country, doesn't have to. We survive? We spend the rest of our lives, trying to figure out why, we didn't die.

I am old enough, to remember my Grandfather, "DEFENDING" the living room sofa from the Japs! I did not understand it then. I do now. I still, 5 years later, wake up in the middle of the night reaching for my rifle/weapon... just to know it is there.

A 100 years ago, 60,000 Brit Soldiers, Would do it all again. Because that is what Soldiers do. If we liked it or not.... That is what we did/do ... So nobody else had/has to. Some of us loved it, miss it, hated it, didn't make it back. .... But the Germans or Japs, will never get the living room sofa! LOL!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Weird to think that it is just a 100 years ago all this was going on when i have been on the planet for over 50 of these and how much life has changed in those times .

Now one man with his finger on the trigger could make those numbers look minuscule in comparison

<< 1  2  3   >>

join