It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-90 TOW resistant Russian tank disabled by a TOW missile

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: imod02

Bet he got sent to the gulag for that.

A t14, isnt that an even new more modern tank.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: thesungod

Russias most advanced tank is the T-14 Armata, also we have no idea on the state of the T-90 in question it could have been missing some ERA (explosive reactive armour) we don't know which model it is either as the T-90 has been fielded since 1993

When the Russian invaded Georgia they had a problem because the explosives in many of tanks reactive armor had been sold on the black market. In this case who knows, could be many things.

The thing about the Russian's is they are great a designing weapons systems and terrible a building them properly in any large numbers. One reason Russia has lost so much of the higher end arms markets is they build a lot of defective stuff. This has been a problem for the Russian defense industry since the end of the Cold War. So many of the most experienced people up and left the country for better paying jobs elsewhere. And the Russian also have problems with proper maintenance, that comes from all the less than motivated barely trained 1 year conscripts. The big reason the US never wants conscripts again.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Russias most advanced tank is the T-14 Armata

Yes, but until there is enough for battle the T90 would be their most advanced in combat. And it will be at least a year maybe two before they have full scale production.

The Armata is a new Russian main battle tank of new generation. It was first publicly revealed in 2015. Its full-scale production could begin in 2017-2018.

www.military-today.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Should have read most advanced fielded tank, my fault.

Also if you bother to read the entire thread, I already talked about the gear report from JANE's.
edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: ed added

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

also we have no idea on the state of the T-90 in question it could have been missing some ERA (explosive reactive armour) we don't know which model it is either as the T-90 has been fielded since 1993

Well if this is the tank in question...

twitter.com...

Looking at where it supposedly was hit I would have to guess the turret area has some protection of it's own. The left side of the turret is where it got hit. Also if the armor should have been there to protect the crew why would they run unless something catastrophic happened...or the Russian tank crews aren't so keen on the armor being used.

Who knows, but there is one thing that comes from this...Russia now knows their best tank could be in trouble if the use of TOW missiles picks up.

Either way the TOW must have done something serious enough to get the crew to bail and run...so that does say something.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

All things considered it took the shot pretty well.

It would of been nice to see the damage on the inside of the tank.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

I'm thinking the TOW didn't penetrate and the ERA did its job maybe

Earlier T model (72) getting ammo racked by an RPG

And same model getting hit by TOW

Massive difference between T72 damage and T90 damage

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It did take it well. I think any and all damage was done to the drivers housing and hydraulics, hence the guy climbing out of the turret instead of the front hatch and main gun dipping after the hit.

Agreed, but disabled is disabled. I was on the thunder runs in Iraq. RPGs don't even set off the ERA of an M1A2.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It makes you wonder how "advanced" all these eastern countries claim to have in their technology and weaponry.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

Personally I like Russian's and their culture, I spent a bit of 2015 there. However the rule of thumb even among them is "if they haven't shown it off, they don't have it."

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Isn't the Javelin the proper top-attack weapon?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

also we have no idea on the state of the T-90 in question it could have been missing some ERA (explosive reactive armour) we don't know which model it is either as the T-90 has been fielded since 1993

Well if this is the tank in question...

twitter.com...

Looking at where it supposedly was hit I would have to guess the turret area has some protection of it's own. The left side of the turret is where it got hit. Also if the armor should have been there to protect the crew why would they run unless something catastrophic happened...or the Russian tank crews aren't so keen on the armor being used.

Who knows, but there is one thing that comes from this...Russia now knows their best tank could be in trouble if the use of TOW missiles picks up.

Either way the TOW must have done something serious enough to get the crew to bail and run...so that does say something.

Odd photo angle say they are trying to hide the damage caused. But I will say it looks like the reactive armor did it's job. The yank and crew survived a direct turret hit. It looks like it disabled there gun controls. But the tank didn't brew up basically turning the interior of the tank into a giant oven with the crew inside. So what did this show a t 90 will survive a tow hit. Will it still operate probably ly not but I can tell you a second hit on the tank and it would be toast.

When you are attacking a MBT that's exactly what you do two tow launchers working together. But out Syrian rebels haven't learned that trick yet. But let's face it a T80 would have done better against the tow problem is the T 90 they wanted to make it lighter so they could use a diesel engine instaed of a turbine. The Russians had major problems with there turbine engines. Least of which is they catch fire and maintanance was a logistics nightmare for them. To use the diesel engine they sacrificed armor for example an Abrams even without reactive armor can survive a tow hit. In fact several unless they get lucky or unlucky if your the crew. But still the t90 profile Is a big advantage with the auto loader no need for big internal compartment. Bit I suspect the auto loader was what was hit. And the crew panicked thinking they might have a round go off. So on a scale of one to ten I give a 6 since you still have a trained tank crew and you still have a usable chasis.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Yes. The Javelin one of the newer anti-armor toys. It's fire and forget it though, not wire guided. It's also manpad instead of based, like a tow.
edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

I'm thinking the TOW didn't penetrate and the ERA did its job maybe

Earlier T model (72) getting ammo racked by an RPG

And same model getting hit by TOW

Massive difference between T72 damage and T90 damage

Neither of those were tows in the vidoes I really do feel sorry for that crew in the T 72 in the first ideo that is what's called brewing up. Notice the fuel is ignited and just like a tea kettle the inside becomes a pressure cooker and flames actually shoot out the barrel.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Brewed is old school. We always called it baked.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod

Brewed is old school. We always called it baked.

Brewed and baked are actually two difrent kills. Brewed is when it goes up like a t kettle. Baked is when the rounds are ignited instaed if the fuel. That looks entirely different. When I have time I'll find one so you can compare.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I know the difference. I've seen it first hand on T's in Iraq.

Doesn't change the fact that in OIF we called both baked. ATACMS strikes on hardened structures to seal the entrance we also called baked.

Just a generational lingo difference.

ETA- I guess it sounds like I may be nay saying you. I am not. Just chatting. After 2 years overseas and a brand new home I have no "friends" to speak of. ATS is going to be my outlet for a bit.
edit on 1-7-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Oh I'm certain they're great people!

I just assume their elite classes (like the US) are a bunch of prudes who like to get into dick measuring contests.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Oh no that wasn't it just two difrent outcomes for a tank spent 2 tours in Iraq and 2 in afganistan. Also seen what a javelin can do to armor. If a row can damage it the Javilin will tear it up. It was designed to defeat reactive armor.
edit on 7/1/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYRare you referring to the two hydrogen bombs dropped outside of Goldsboro nc that the air force never recovered.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join