It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-90 TOW resistant Russian tank disabled by a TOW missile

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
So back in 2015 Russia rolled it's most advanced tank the T-90 down to Syria. The claim they made was that the tank could withstand a TOW missile among alot of other US weapons systems. The TOW missile is an anti-armor missile and has been in production since the 1970's.

Basics on the TOW missile

Basics on the T-90

However in Feburary of 2016 CIA backed rebels completely disabled a T-90 using a TOW missile. It appears in this video that at least one of the three man crew of the T-90 survived the encounter. The tank however was busted, the primary gun losing power indicated by the dipping and the single survivor scrambling out.

So I guess the T-90 isn't as slick as I or others thought. The video above shows the incident as described above, but is in Arabic. Sorry if you don't speak Arabic, I do, but a picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

On a search this is the only thread I found about TOWs and T-90s on ATS. www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: TOW not TOE

edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: TOW not TOE, silly cellphone autocorrect

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Wow, That's gotta leave your ear with a ringing.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I have some water resistant shoes but my feet will still get wet if I walk through a deep puddle.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It's TOW resistant, not TOW proof. Nothing is perfect.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon
It's TOW resistant, not TOW proof. Nothing is perfect.

It's getting TOWed away.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Everything has its weak spots, also who knows if it had all its protective gear on at the time as it could of been the 3rd missile aimed at it that day!

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

Resistant in military terms means a volley or more, not a single hit. The M1 Abrahms is TOW resistant also. I have seen one first hand take three TOWs and still keep rolling with no damage to the crew dummies.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

I speak Arabic. The guys firing the TOW duck after firing the first shot expecting return fire and talk about loading a second round.

Which they didn't have to do.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The Shorta system, like all such missile optical dazzler systems, is not 100% foolproof.

While it will disable most anti-tank guided missiles fired at it, It's not 100% safe from them. No tank is regardless of what you stick on it.

Incidentally the way modern tank armour works can lead to interesting results. Penetration is no longer binary. For example if an Abrams tank fires at a T-90 the shell can hit the armour and literally do nothing, whereas a second shot will go right through. Same for every tank with composite armour.
edit on -050002pm6kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

Theres always that lucky shot, we know nothing about the tank before the encounter, it could of needed the usual repairs etc but was sent out without its full kit not expecting such level of action against it.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I would think even IF a tank can stop various missiles, that the blast and concussion alone would be enough to disable the occupants, even if the tank survives.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Didnt the lead T-90 in some parade russia had showcasing it breakdown in the middle of the actual parade to russias embarrassment? Didnt it take them like two days to move the lifeless thing off the parade ground? Or was that some other tank.

Hey they still work better than russias cruise missiles which go off course and hit entirely wrong countries.

Or russias fabulous jet engines for their bombers that catch on fire or shut down during takeoff.

Or their amazing new torpedos that spontaneously explode inside their submarines.

Russian military hardware.....yeeeeah....

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

The TOW missile is wire-guided, meaning the guy that launches it has the optics and has to keep it on target.

If you watch the video, he fires and then stays up keeping the missile on target until it hits. Then he ducks.

A TOW isn't just set it and forget it like alot of larger missiles.
edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: ducks not ducts

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

According to JANE's, which I can't link here it is believed to be an MS (a T-90A for wiki warriors) model with full gear and a Russian crew.

Jane's is wrong on occasion though.
edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

No and yes. I've been IED'ed in Bradley and a HUMVEE. Bradley we barely noticed. In the HUMVEE it is a gamble. Rattled my brain a few times and did nothing other times.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Or the infamous Isklander which drops it's missile payload 30% of the time.

We have our goofs too though. F-35 has some glaring issues for example.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

One of the better ones was the B-52 at Tinker a couple years ago. It went through a depot level inspection, and departed on a routine check flight. The crew heard a bang from the wing area, so requested a T-38 in the area to check them out. He pulled up and looked and both of those huge inboard flaps were gone. They hadn't reinstalled them properly and they decided it was time to go and fell off.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Russias most advanced tank is the T-14 Armata, also we have no idea on the state of the T-90 in question it could have been missing some ERA (explosive reactive armour) we don't know which model it is either as the T-90 has been fielded since 1993

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Stop making america look bad zaphod! Everybody knows were the best!

Quickly shoes Goldsboro under the carpet.

Witness: "what was that?!?"

Airforce: "oh, nothing, nothing move along."

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
Didnt the lead T-90 in some parade russia had showcasing it breakdown in the middle of the actual parade to russias embarrassment? Didnt it take them like two days to move the lifeless thing off the parade ground? Or was that some other tank.

Hey they still work better than russias cruise missiles which go off course and hit entirely wrong countries.

Or russias fabulous jet engines for their bombers that catch on fire or shut down during takeoff.

Or their amazing new torpedos that spontaneously explode inside their submarines.

Russian military hardware.....yeeeeah....

What happened was a young inexperanced driver got nervis , stoped the tank put the parking brake on and forgot to take it off. When the driver was changed the tank was driven of without any trouble. BTW it was a T 14
edit on 30-6-2016 by imod02 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join