It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupidity is the Next Social Justice Frontier

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
bobs_uruncle

The millennials (most) should get self-motivated and learn on their own.

Right? If more kids would take responsibility and just start teaching themselves...

You know what, I can't even reply to that sarcastically and keep a straight face.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Bobaganoosh

So, it's not the fault of the Millenials themselves is it? Its the product of a failed upbringing.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
bobs_uruncle

Right? If more kids would take responsibility and just start teaching themselves...

You know what, I can't even reply to that sarcastically and keep a straight face.

No words lol? Seriously, anyone (barring the truly mentally challenged) pretty much can learn almost anything. It's just takes self-motivation and the desire to be better than you were. I guess the problem is, in a nanny society where the government hands out parachutes for everything, there's no real need or want to be better. Competition has been trimmed out of the indoctrination system's reality, but it still exists in the workplace and real world.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/30.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ok ok. "Not all" millenials.

Just "by and large". I thought I had made that clear, but I guess not.

I know repetition is key with the mentally disabled.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: NthOther

Being an idiot will be seen as a disability and then they'll just get government checks.

That sounds so idiotic that it is cute. Now get in line for your government check.

edit on 30-6-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat
If you are looking for the source of "fault", then no it is not the millenial's fault, however, everybody should share in the blame.

Teacher, parent, child, society, television, governmental intrusion, all are contributing factors to mass stupidity and entitlement of the millenial generation. I'm afraid there is no root cause.

But don't worry, there is a cure on the horizon.

It's called socio-economic implosion. The world will be freed from much of what ails it.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think they are the best generation yet.

Now, get off my lawn you bunch of damned hippies.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I am searching my whole life to find something that makes my stupidity, my idiocy useful!
It would be wonderful if i would be kind of "special" then, to have a reason to complain about everything that hurts my feelings...

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This entire topic was a joke in 1976, now it is reality it seems. And, it is not confined to any single generation. It is rampant when stupid people, make more stupid people, and society itself rewards and reinforces that stupidity.

1976: (VIDEO) "Saturday Night Live" skit - The Right to Extreme Stupidity League with Candice Bergen & Gilda Radner
NOTE: It is not on YouTube (that I could find), so I cannot directly embed it here. But, it is well worth the few minutes to watch, in light of this thread topic.

Laugh then, cry now...........

edit on 6/30/2016 by Krakatoa because: Mandela Effect

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It's almost like they knew it was gonna happen. Like "they" planned it or something.

Hey, wait a minute...

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Being an idiot will be seen as a disability and then they'll just get government checks.

That sounds so idiotic that it is cute. Now get in line for your government check.

Cha-ching!

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Think of what that interview at the welfare office would entail:

"What's your disability, sir?"

"Well, you see, I'm an idiot, and no one will hire me."

"I understand, sir. Do you have the results of your FIT test with you?"

"FIT?"

"Federal Intelligence Test, sir."

What a nightmare.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

What causes the stupidity? Is it from lack of parenting because both need to work to provide? Inconsistent discipline from too many sources?

Combination of factors.

1. Knowledge at their fingertips. Because they grew up in an age where knowledge was a few clicks away on the Internet, they never had to work to RETAIN or ANALYZE it. So, they simply never develop these skills. This also makes them EXTREMELY easy to manipulate...a factor that is not lost on the powers that be, no doubt.

2. Parents vs daycare. Many of us (in my generation), grew up with a parent (usually mom) at home. We had love and attention by default. We didn't have to compete for it. On the contrary, millennials grew up in daycare, where they had to compete for attention with 10 other kids, so tantrums became the norm. Whining was a way to get what they wanted, etc.

3. Idiocy is celebrated. Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Kim Kardashian, all gained fame from pretty much being idiots. Rich idiots, but their idiocy is what made headlines. And instead of being chastised for it, it was practically celebrated and imitated.

4. Breeding. Much like the movie Idiocracy posits (millennials can Google that word), the less intelligent members of the population breed more. Simple math. Who has 6 kids? The single mom in the projects, or the college educated middle class couple in a gated community?

5. Entertainment in spurts. Instead of half hour or hour long shows, this generation has grown up with little snippets on the Internet. In addition, with so much media hitting them all the time, the window to get your point across to a millennial has shortened drastically from the generations that came before. This results in (as someone mentioned), the attention span of a flea. The by-product of this, is that it takes the mind TIME to fully absorb, analyze, and collate complex concepts, and they simply again, never developed this skill.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure if I really set it out over some time, I'd come up with more. This is based pretty much on having two millennials at home. Both smart kids (23 and 21 respectively), but who can't drive, don't really want to drive, want to vote for Bernie (even though neither has bothered to register, despite several trips to places they could), etc. They also want to move out, and the most vocal one instead of saving money, just bought a PS4. So kind of gives you what I'm working with.

True, I'm likely enabling them, as they pay cheap rent, etc., but then, they are our kids, so they'll always be able to come home to mom and dad, but damn....sometimes wish they'd be more enthused about growing up. They want the freedom (though they can come and go here as they please), but of course, if something they have to WORK for....

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hi I'm Dumbass,

I am a professional procrastinator.

The dent in my couch is my reference.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: DBCowboy

Think of what that interview at the welfare office would entail:

"What's your disability, sir?"

"Well, you see, I'm an idiot, and no one will hire me."

"I understand, sir. Do you have the results of your FIT test with you?"

"FIT?"

"Federal Intelligence Test, sir."

What a nightmare.

FIT Test.

You nailed it!

NAILED IT!

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I thought that's what the fight for the $15 minimum wage was.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
bobs_uruncle

I don't know. I've taught myself quite a bit over the years. Once you get the basic building blocks of learning down, you can more or less teach yourself just about anything you want.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

What Defines stupidity these days?

Some of the elder folk believe that age grants wisdom by default-Brexit is a perfect example and look what happened there. The pound collapsed, the PM resigned, and Scotland wants to leave the commonwealth. And who were the majority that voted to leave? boomers and the elders whose pride got in the way of common sense.

These folks have no Idea that their vote has had global financial ramifications. I'm no millennial and before calling them stupid think about what has happened in Britain.
edit on 30-6-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Some of the elder folk believe that age grants wisdom by default-Brexit is a perfect example and look what happened there. The pound collapsed, the PM resigned, and Scotland wants to leave the commonwealth. And who were the majority that voted to leave? boomers and the elders whose pride got in the way of common sense.

These folks have no Idea that their vote has had global financial ramifications. I'm no millennial and before calling them stupid think about what has happened in Britain.

What happened in Britain is that millennials didn't vote.

Whether that be due to laziness or ignorance, either one (and especially if both) presents a perfect example of why not to hire them.

Or apathy, for that matter.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I can see it now: Affiramtive Action aimed at normalizing the IQ deficit caused by intelligism. Every workplace must have an average IQ of no more than 100, so you better be careful about how many intelligent workers you actually hire. Only so many with those higher IQs of 130 and above, and for each one you do hire, you may have to hire someone who's in the 80s. Tough to figure out how to make that work at DARPA ... but well, you know.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join