It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Defense Minister Purges Baltic Fleet Command

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: MrSpad

Honestly, I did not believe you were capable of writing an objective analysis about Russia.

Your whole post was pretty much spot-on, and describes the core problem of Russian military. I am glad Putin is taking care of it, and hopefully will be able to accomplish what he has in mind.

He has tried before after the problems in Georgia and started off well but, things never worked out. The plan was to massively cut the size of the military and go to an all professional force. He also was going address the problem of the lack of NCO leadership, the back bone of most Western Armies, by building 5 NCO academies where the now professional soldiers would go to advance. That would have gone a long way to cut corruption. The problem? Money.

With poor pay, abusive training and basically terrible lives as soldiers nobody volunteered. So most of the military remains 1 year conscripts. And they have not been able to convince very many of them to stay in become NCOs so instead of five academies they have on that is never full.

The Navy some how had managed to avoid these problems. When the air force and Army were having all kinds of problems in Georgia the Navy performed excellent even though it had been the most neglected service. I guess something has happened in Naval leadership since then and those standards have fallen.

It is sad to see. As many problems as I have it the current Russian leaderships actions, I have a great deal of sympathy for the poor guys on the ground just trying to get by and being screwed over starting at the top and all the way down. And Putin has allowed this, to keep his officers loyal but, I do not think he ever expected it would get so bad. The Chinese have the same problem although not near as bad as the Russians. You let something go for so long that just becomes normal and suddenly to try to change it. Not going to happen and if you push to hard those once loyal officers will back another horse.

China has been doing it slowly. going after the worst of the worst or the least connected and even executing them as a message to others. Russia appears to be trying the same thing. I have no idea if it will work or if reward still outweighs risk. China however has the money, and its problems are strictly with its officer and former officers and the old companies the military used to run. So they have less to deal with.

Russia wants to have all the planes, ships, missiles ect. of a world power and it has an economy the size of Mexico's. The best thing to do would be realize the word power days are over. What do we need to defend ourselves and how can we create small modern force like say the UK or France. Trying to compete with US is simply foolish.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The map is telling. Ukraine and Belarus are in the way between NATO and Russia, except for in the Baltics, which have negligible NATO military presence.

All those Eastern European states joined NATO voluntarily because they were familiar with Russia, up close and extremely loud.

Russia is perfectly safe except from their own corruption and tyranny.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

The map is telling. Ukraine and Belarus are in the way between NATO and Russia, except for in the Baltics, which have negligible NATO military presence.

All those Eastern European states joined NATO voluntarily because they were familiar with Russia, up close and extremely loud.

There has always been two groups vying for control in Russia. The KGB which became thr FSB and thr military. They have been under a truce for a while but I have a feeling that's coming to an end. A Russian general has alot of power and if a putin plays it wrong that power will be aimed towards him.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

They learned that the hard way back in the bad ol' days, after Stalin had purged the Army officer corp...

Nearly cost 'em their country. Ooopsie.

I tend to agree that they must not be expecting much, if anything, to happen.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Those countries leaders let NATO occupy their fledgling Republics, not their people. I don't recall any voting, just columns of tanks. You're right it was easy to fill the vacuum left by the disbanded Warsaw Pact.

They were under the Soviet bootheel for so long (in some cases the Wehrmacht as well), they forgot what independence was.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: mbkennel

There has always been two groups vying for control in Russia. The KGB which became thr FSB and thr military. They have been under a truce for a while but I have a feeling that's coming to an end. A Russian general has a lot of power and if a putin plays it wrong that power will be aimed towards him.

You make it sound like they're in a unique position. This country has two parties, a shadow government and foreign policy beholden to corporate oligarchs, no longer of, by and for the people. America is much more dangerous to the world than Russia.

Google recent US wars if you have any doubts.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Now they have independence and want to keep it...that is why they looked to NATO to protect them from losing that independence back to Russia.

Countries apply to become part of NATO...nobody forces them.

In fact Ukraine was denied membership to NATO...so that kind blows the countries are forced to join right out the window, but you know this and want to keep pushing the Russian narrative for some ungodly reason.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Now they have independence and want to keep it...that is why they looked to NATO to protect them from losing that independence back to Russia.

Countries apply to become part of NATO...nobody forces them.

Military occupation by foreign armies isn't protecting the people, its false pretense.

That pretense is clearly directed at Russia.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Military occupation by foreign armies isn't protecting the people, its false pretense.

You are in a problematic logic trap if your own making.

How can membership of an organisation equate to occupation? NATO are not occupying member nations.

You need to take a step back into reality. Let the sun warm your face. By your logic Russia is occupying Syria, Tajikistan, Belarus, Vietnam, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and other places where they have military bases and agreements. They are ACTUALLY occupying, such as parts of Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Directed at Russia...much like Russia has their military strategy directed at bringing those independent countries back under their influence.

Something those countries don't want...hence the reason they look to NATO to keep that from happening.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

By your logic Russia is occupying Syria,

Your logic is twisted, Russia was invited to help the Syrian army repel US backed insurgency.
Big difference. One is meddling, the other assisting the legit government.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Directed at Russia...much like Russia has their military strategy directed at bringing those independent countries back under their influence.

The Soviets are gone, the Warsaw pact disbanded. Russia defends itself against NATO encroachment.

How is it this time we are the Nazis?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Russia is one of the last Countries in the World that has morals still..

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I can't believe how many people still believe Russia is the enemy. Grow the f'ck up.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Your logic is twisted, Russia was invited to help the Syrian army repel US backed insurgency.

Nope, no twisted logic from me.

NATO members nations invites other nations. They are not forcibly present. They are not occupied. Glad you now agree and can recant you previous posts on the subject - there are many. Like a stuck record.

Syria invites Russia = not occupation.
Poland invites another NATO member = not occupation.
Russia invites themselves into Crimea = annexation and occupation.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I can't believe how many people still believe Russia is the enemy. Grow the f'ck up.

And I can't believe there are those who still believe Russia does no wrong.

As for being an enemy...there are a few neighbors that feel that way and for good reason.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

Everyone is the enemy at some point, but size matters, and Russia and China just happen to be big ones...

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I guess that depends on what your interpretation of having morals would be.

edit on 2-7-2016 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I started in the Military in 1980 and retired in 2008, during much of that time I saw how Russia was during the cold war and after. I spent a good amount of time over there too, but the one thing that I continually noticed over the years was that even though the US military had screw ups and problems, though bad at times, were not even close to how bad Russia could screw up and did.

When we talk about corruption, poor/outdated equipment, low living standards, poor moral, poor training and so on these areas are on a factor of ten worst than what we experienced. I'm not saying they are stupid at all just that their culture allows for all this to happen. I remember how they had to change their anti freeze from wood based alcohol to one that was drinkable since their military had a tendency to drink it either way... That was just mind boggling to me, but it seems to follow a normal train of thought over there in many ways.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

I guess that depends on what your interpretation of having morals would be.

Morals are set by society, so all countries have morals. I think the correct statement should be.. "Russians the last country in the world with Russian morals" and though I have seen Russian morals in the past I am happy form them to just keep it in Russia...lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join