It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Was Religion The Motive For New Jersey Slaying?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hundreds of mourners attended the service of a family of four murdered, some say, for religious reasons. The Armanious family practices the Coptic Christian faith. They emigrated from Egypt in 1997. Until recently, the Coptic Christians and Muslims has had a peaceful coexistence, but that has changed as of late. Tensions have started rising and acts of violence have increased.

www.foxnews.com
JERSEY CITY, N.J. — A funeral procession for two parents and their two daughters found brutally slain in their home last week drew hundreds of mourners Monday and some in the crowd blamed the deaths on simmering religious tensions in the family's native Egypt.

Services for 47-year-old Hossam Armanious (search), his 37-year-old wife, Amal Garas, and their two daughters were being held at the St. George & St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church, a Christian congregation where the family was active.

As the procession of about 300 people made its way on foot through city streets to the church, Iman Garas, sister of the slain mother, ran up and pounded on each of the four caskets, screaming, "Oh my God. Oh my God. They've left me all alone."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Authorities and the Coptic Christian regional head has cautioned against jumping to conclusions. The family which was bound and gagged may have been the victim's of a robbery local authorities state. no money or jewelry were found in the house. However, this may have been a false flag as well. Until more data is available, it is useless to speculate.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The New York Post is reporting that the father was known for expressing his anti Muslim sentiments online and had recently been threatened because of this.

The married father of two had recently been threatened by Muslim members of the Web site, said a fellow Copt and store clerk who uses the chat room.

Apparently he was warned that he would be hunted down and dealt with.
www.newyorkpost.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
As I was watching the news of the funeral, this people really think is a religious motivate killing.

Fantastic, here in the US the dispute between religions, very soon the war between Christianity and Muslin will start.

And then on top of that a Christan bishop is kidnap in Iraq.

I am telling you this is a conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It really si a garbage situation. The whole family murdered, by having their throats slit none the less. Plus the idea that it might've started over a tiff in a 'chat room' (which i read to by anything on the internet, just like this forum) is disturbing.

marg

Why? You mean conspiracy as in one orchestrated by secret authorities, along with the kidnapping of the bishop in iraq, to incit sectarian violence across the globe?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I don't know nygdan, things are moving to fast lately, if we have another incident here in our own soil of another killing and screaming of "religious" motivation then we will have to think as what is going on.

All we need now is some fight between religion in the US with killings involve.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm skeptical about the whole religious connection.

There doesent seem to be anything concrete to tie religion to these killings yet,
only the hearsay of people who claim to know peole involved in the case.

Honestly it just seems like fervor based on antimuslim bias in my opinion.

I am adopting a wait and see aproach before I pass final judgement on the situation.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It may be too soon to speculate from the position of objectivity, but if I had to put my money down now, I know which way my bet would go. Ask Salmen Rushdie, there's still a bounty on his head.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
As I was watching the news of the funeral, this people really think is a religious motivate killing.

Fantastic, here in the US the dispute between religions, very soon the war between Christianity and Muslin will start.

And then on top of that a Christan bishop is kidnap in Iraq.

No Marg...this is no conspiracy....you are obviously blind as to what is true and what is not for the hatred you have towards this administration.... There are people in the world who are extremists and would do such things. We have had a few people making hateful posts in here also Marg...and i pretty sure that they were paid by any government to do this.

Like you have said in the past Marg.... wake up and smell the coffe.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman

There doesent seem to be anything concrete to tie religion to these killings yet,

I am adopting a wait and see aproach before I pass final judgement on the situation.

I agree with you after all the ones screaming foul play are the people that were friends and families of the desease, they are the ones bringing the muslin link.

Now I wonder how the police will handle this one on the investigation.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I am usually a Fox apologist (all hail Sheperd Smith), but I've been fairly disgusted with their coverage and implication that this murder was motivated by religion. The family had been robbed I think a year before and a robbery definitely took place this time as well - jewelry and money taken. There was nothing at the crime scene to lead police or the Coptic church to believe that this was done by muslim extremists. It is most likely a few dirtbags who planned on robbing the house and found the family home.

We just don't need anymore hate right now - unless something more concrete is found I think the media is really jumping the gun. One thing is for sure if it was a religous killing - extremists love taking credit for their actions. There should be some claim of responsibility shortly if they did it.

My two cents.
B.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman

The way the murders were carried out point to the fact that it was a hate murder. This is not happening just in the US, but moderate Muslims have nothing to do with this, it is the extremist Muslims who are doing these acts. In Europe, including France, they are having a lot of problems with hate crimes commited by extremists also.....are you going to tell us that the US government is sending all these people all over the world to commit these acts Marg ?.........

"When we saw the pictures, you could tell that they were hurt really, really bad in the face; especially Sylvia," said Milad Garas, the high-school sophomore's great-uncle.

The heartless killer not only slit Sylvia's throat, but also sliced a huge gash in her chest and stabbed her in the wrist, where she had a tattoo of a Coptic cross.

Excerpted from.
www.newyorkpost.com...

Why would a simple robber stab the cross in this girls wrist? Why all the savagery in the killings. This was a passionate crime, if it was not because of the conflict the day before with extremists, then it was a passionate crime, but the stabbing in the Coptic cross points that it could more than likely be a crime over religion.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
That is the problem Bleys the media is enforcing the views of the family and their friends that is religious motivated.

Now how will the muslin community in the US will react to the accusations.

Will we have some hate motivated retaliation against muslin families now?

I have a problem with that we do not need hate crimes committed in the US because of religion.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I read the NewYork Post article and it had something different than I had seen reported earlier.

Both the deacon and uncle poured cold water on the theory that the family were the victims of a robbery gone wrong.

"This is not a robbery, Ayed said. "We found all of the jewelry in the house. They didn't take anything."

Who's got the story right? If nothing was taken then I am inclined to think this was a hate crime, especially after reading Muaddib's post that they destroyed the 16 year olds cross tattoo.

Was the family robbed or not?

B.

[edit on 1/17/05 by Bleys]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
At this point in time the murders are still unknown and no motive is readily apparent. 'Chat-room'? Religion? Robbery (not according to the latest).

As to religion as a motive, speculation abounds as to what Mr. Armanious (murdered father) may have posted. As a practicing Coptic Christian he would have been well aware of Islamic radicalism.

In my opinion:
These murders again send a clarion call to Muslims worldwide to definitively denounce terrorism. Until internationally known Muslims publicly denounce acts of terror and the terrorists Islam in general will be tarred with the same brush as the terrorists.

Jihad Watch has a comprehensive listing of Islamic related stories. One of the many sources cited is the National Intelligence Council which produces intelligence studies and a fairly comprehensive study of radical islam.

Jihad Watch may be a front for Zionist or pro-Israeli propaganda, however it does provide links to many Islamic terrorist related stories.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
JoeDoaks,

Interesting, the murder of this family is for what I can see the first related religous motivated killing that has been link to muslin radical in the US by not the police but the families and friends itself.

Does anybody knows if is more of these type of killings before in the US recently?

Or this one is the first one.

Perhaps radical groups will like to start a conflict base on religion here in the US, that will bring instabilbity to the US.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is yet another example of the "religion of peace" called Islam.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
He was told to stop or he was going to be gutted like a chicken. I think yes it was religion that motivated this killing.

I think the scary part is how easy it was for them to find him and his family.
We feel that here in the US we are safe from the kind of thing, we are sorely wrong.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Just like christans, pray for you to burn in hell, if you do them wrong or dont believe.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I think the scary part is how easy it was for them to find him and his family.
We feel that here in the US we are safe from the kind of thing, we are sorely wrong.

I agree with you, that is a misconception that we are safe, I tell you we will see what else comes out of that one.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Just like christans, pray for you to burn in hell, if you do them wrong or dont believe.

Real will "Christians" pray for your deliverance from evil.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join