It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists believe they’ve discovered a habitable world: ENCELLADUS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

originally posted by: RedDragon
Tell more about things the oujia board told you.

lol, I was like...come on man don't leave me hanging here. Yes more information on this please!

Yeah I want to hear more about the dolphin like creatures.
They're probably hyper intelligent enclladian dolphin humanoids.

That's all I remember was said. "Dolphin-like" creatures

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: RedDragon
Tell more about things the oujia board told you.

Or, more likely, what you told the ouija board.

I specificially asked the board if there is life elsewhere in the solar system, and the board gave an answer. The answer came out of left-field; it wasn't of my own onvention.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

Imagine if there was a planet out there that had humans on it, or the equivalent of humans. I wonder if our scientists would spy on the all the time, or get caught spying on them by the beings that are spying on us.

This is a good thought exercise.

Actually, this may be a reality soon.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
I was very intregued, until you pulled out the quija board bit.

Then you lost me.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme
I was very intregued, until you pulled out the quija board bit.
Then you lost me.

The Ouija board part was from a previous thread I did a while back in the Space forums where Encelladus came up. I mentioned it in this thread as it relates to the "life" on Encelladus question. This thread isn't about that however, it's about the growing interest in the scientific community about exploring there because it has one of the best chances to harbor life in the solar system outside of Earth.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Sooner or later, the US will g the "shock and awe of democracy" into its inhabitants.

Or an alternative scenario would be the US mostly likely have a Secret Base there since it is said the military possess technology 40 years more advanced than what the general public owned.

I feel like there's something you want to get off your chest, but too afraid to make a thread of your own so you high jacked this thread and let us know how you felt about the US.

This is a remarkable potential for earthlings. I hope we focus more on findings like this instead of planets billions of light years away.

I didn't get that at all; maybe their posting history is circumspect and tends to 'bash' the US. I don't know, but the comment didn't seem to be a passive-aggressive swipe at the US military. Maybe poor taste? Bad allusion to the recent history of US foreign policy? Whatever it is, the thread certainly wasn't hijacked and I, honestly, have a hard time seeing this being the case: "I feel like there's something you want to get off your chest, but too afraid to make a thread of your own..."

Back to Enceladus, I recall a very cool anecdote about the initial 'discovery of possible life on Enceladus' on a Science channel program. To paraphrase, one of the lead scientist, if not the project leader, said, "hey we got a real cool opportunity to take some pics of Enceladus during this flight, what not drop by Enceladus and snap a few pics?" I am sure there where hunches that Enceladus had the potential for biological, possibly multi-cellar, life, but it seems that this moon may have went 'undiscovered' and whatever life may be present, if a scientist didn't go with a "gut feeling" and have the surveyor take the first pics of Enceladus. Way cool if it's true. Maybe someone has an idea?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

It may be habitable for Encelladians.
Too chilly for me to retire there though.
The warm spot runs about 260 degrees below zero on the Fahrenheit scale.
NASA

I think it's plausible that NASA, et al may be falsifying temperature figures for other planets.

The angle of incidence of sunlight is what determines surface temps here on Earth, not distance from the Sun.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out some of these more distant bodies are much more inhabitable than officially stated.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Cassini completed the last of 22! flybys of Enceladus on 19th Dec 2015.

NASA link

For anyone not familiar with why we think life (probably microbial or small multi celled) may be present in the ocean reference 'black smokers in oceans'

The moon is stretched and squashed by the orbit in the gas giants gravity, this generates friction in the core and triggers volcanic activity. This causes heat to reach the ocean via the black smokers. Our own ocean proves that multi celled life will occur at the thermal incline of these smokers.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Sooo....

Because there could be microbes in the ocean below, this mean the mooncicle should qualify as an "habitable world"?

If there were microbes then it would be likely that one species tries to feed off others. In that case, it would drive selective evolution.

Science daily was reporting that astronomers had built up a spectroscopic database of lifeforms and the colors of light that they reflect (like how different plants and fungi have different colors).

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

The angle of incidence of sunlight is what determines surface temps here on Earth, not distance from the Sun.
To some extent, yes. However if we were the same distance from the Sun as Saturn is it would be very, very cold. Even in the tropics. Sunlight at that distance is about 1.2% as intense there as it is here, thanks to the inverse square rule.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out some of these more distant bodies are much more inhabitable than officially stated.
The thing is, there are things other than sunlight which can create heat. As "officially" stated:

The mechanisms that might have prevented Enceladus' ocean from freezing remain a mystery. Thomas and his colleagues suggest a few ideas for future study that might help resolve the question, including the surprising possibility that tidal forces due to Saturn's gravity could be generating much more heat within Enceladus than previously thought.

www.nasa.gov...

edit on 6/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
im alittle curious, did you know who you were talking to threw the Ouija board? that's intriguing

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Phage, you're using NASA data to refute the idea that NASA might be lying to the public?

OK then.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Phage, you're using NASA data to refute the idea that NASA might be lying to the public?

OK then.

No. I'm using NASA to refute your claim:

An ocean of liquid water would seem to have the potential to be quite hospitable to life.
astrobiology.nasa.gov...
edit on 6/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

NASA

Might it be warmer underneath the ice where the oceans are/are predicted? I would think it were warmer if the tidal forces from Jupiter are enough to turn the ice into liquid, or maybe there's a molten core. Maybe we can build an underwater habitat there...?

There is speculation that some Moons in the solar system are actually planets.

Still a far cry from habitable at our present level of ability. We can't even build permanent underwater habitats that are self-sustaining on earth. That's likely more because no one has devoted serious effort to it than actual lack of ability, but still, I would think the one would be a pre-requisite to learning how to even attempt the other.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

OK then.

Many of the scientific instruments on robotic spaceraft are operated by various academic organisations other than NASA, and even organisations from other countries.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I got the same result from my Ouija Board app. Not the dolphin part though. I have the free version.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: lostbook

NASA

Might it be warmer underneath the ice where the oceans are/are predicted? I would think it were warmer if the tidal forces from Jupiter are enough to turn the ice into liquid, or maybe there's a molten core. Maybe we can build an underwater habitat there...?

There is speculation that some Moons in the solar system are actually planets.

Still a far cry from habitable at our present level of ability. We can't even build permanent underwater habitats that are self-sustaining on earth. That's likely more because no one has devoted serious effort to it than actual lack of ability, but still, I would think the one would be a pre-requisite to learning how to even attempt the other.

You get a star for your avatar! Furthermore, I thought there were long term underwater habitats/ bases.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010
im alittle curious, did you know who you were talking to threw the Ouija board? that's intriguing

I was with someone who knows more about Ouija boards than I do. The made a specific prayer beforehand to make sure that only good spirits enter the board during our session.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode
I got the same result from my Ouija Board app. Not the dolphin part though. I have the free version.

Normally, I'd say not to trust an Ouija board App but if it's saying the same thing as the board I used then maybe there's some merit to it.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Rise and shine campers! And don't forget your booties, 'cause it COLD out there!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join