It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Torture trials to come.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The sentencing of Charles Graner for Abu Ghraib abuse is one chapter in a larger terror-war saga.
WASHINGTON – The speedy court-martial conviction of the ringleader of the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal, Spc. Charles Graner, may have closed out one chapter in the US military's most infamous use of torture. But the book is far from finished. The number of complaints and investigations of alleged abuses continues to mount, even as the government struggles to clarify its definition of torture.

The possibility of more problems surfacing comes as revelations indicate that past prisoner abuses have been more widespread and happened earlier than originally thought. Last month, for instance, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) released a number of FBI documents that indicated its agents complained of military abuses of detainees at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, as early as late 2002. This was about a year before the scandal broke at Abu Ghraib.
More recently, an article in the New England Journal of Medicine alleged that US Army doctors violated the Geneva Conventions by developing and executing "aggressive counter-resistance plans" for detainees at Guantánamo.
link

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Most likely these trials will never fry the big fish that started this.

If there is one thing that comes from this, I'm hoping it shows those in the U.S. that think that they're the "good guys" that they aren't so good. Since when have you heard of good guys in books, movies, or comics torturing bad guys?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The fate of any military personnel involve in the Abu Ghraib scandal has been sealed when they got arrested they are the ones to pay for the mistakes of the administration and Rumsfeld.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I say blast them with Anthrax.........

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This will be milked for all it's worth.

I remember back in the good old days before all this started how the "insurgents" were seen as noble, fierce, blood-crazed warriors, inheritors of a proud tradition of fanatical warfare, mopping the streets with helpless American teenagers.

They were an unstoppable force that would topple those soft, wimpy, spoiled American brats who were too dainty to deal with the realities of combat and send them running home to mother, carrying what injured they could with them and leaving the rest for the vultures.

Now the world is reminded 24x7 how us evil Americans are using our unlimited, godlike power to crush the poor defenseless insurgents, abuse them mercilessly and have our women lead them around on the end of a leash.

Not only that, but those former wussy Americans shoot innocents and laugh maniacally as they commit genocide on an unprecedented scale.

The message is all too clear.

Fear America's power. Run, don't fight. Resistance to the omnipotent American war machine is futile.

Over 100,000 women, children and baby kittens have been killed already, and the numbers are sure to surpass a billion or two before the U.S. pulls out, leaving a trail of death and fear behind it.

My how things have changed.

Mission Accomplished. Thanks for playing.

Oh, and for those of you who push our propaganda for us while thinking you're helping to tear us down, thanks for serving the interests of the United States.

We appreciate it. No really, we kid about it, but we do appreciate your helping us out by playing into our hands. We couldn't do what we do without you.

Oops, pay no attention to anything I just posted. Jedi business, go back to your drinks.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This entire "prison abuse scandal" is ridiculous. Stuff like that goes on ALL THE TIME--every single day. The US military and government has been doing stuff like it for years, and the CIA even had a manual on torture techniques.

Yet this isn't even torture. It's just humiliation. Now we aren't allowed to humiliate our enemies.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
www.prisonplanet.com...
www.prisonplanet.com...

This is "humiliation"? Looks more like a beating death to me.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Frith]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Persoanlly I agree with Graners defense attorney, the detainees at Abu ghraib were not harmed physically in any way shape or form. They weren't tortured at all.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I agree that the ones being punished are just small fry and the ones that gave the orders are never going to be punished. What was Lindy's (pregnant girl) sentence? I must have been totally ignoring the news that week.

top topics

join