It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish PM Mariano Rajoy opposes Scotland EU talks , "if the UK leave, Scotland leaves".

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I am just a dumb a$$ yank.. but in my uneducated opinion the best bet for scotland is to stand with the english for now till all the fall out from the Brexit comes down, I have seen some pretty wild stories about where the EU is possibly heading...

Wouldnt make sense to jump ship from a possibly (I dont think so) sinking ship, to land on a burning ship...

ETA: better the devil you know.... and all of that.
edit on 1-7-2016 by Irishhaf because: eta

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

The advantage while out though is we get some more freedom to open trade deals outside the EU so hopefully we wont have all our eggs in one basket when the EU goes down in flames.

"Trade deals" are really more of a political sound bite.

We dont have a trade deal with America yet we can still buy American goods and services and vice versa.

Leaving the EU means leaving a market place of half a billion people that constitutes our biggest trading partner. So while yes i agree that leaving the EU might open up a few doors I think that is offset by the huge door that its going to close.

Well as you said we still trade with the USA yet we can no formal trade deal . Plus un the last week countrys have been expressing intrest once we invoke article 50.

End of the day I dont think there was a right or wrong vote. It just bolied down to what direction you wanted the UK to take and its future relationship with the EU.
Everyone will have a diffrent opinion beven within the remain and leave camps.

My point was the decision done now, so best we move on.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Think about it from Spain's perspective. They have a hard core separatist movement of their own. If the EU allows Scotland to break from the UK and then join them, it legitimizes the idea that small separatist movements inside larger and much older nations can gain legitimacy in this way. That would fuel the press for independence from the Basque Separatists inside Spain.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yep , which is why Scotland are going to have to accept they are part of the UK and fall in line with the judgement of the people of the UK.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Wotan

Are you saying that because Scotland decides to have it's government in Holyrood instead of Westminster that means no trade between Scotland and England can happen ?

#projectfear

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Why does the door close ?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join