It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martin Luther King Day.... Do You Do Anything Special to Mark The Occasion ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This was a CNN Poll today :

Do you do anything special to mark Martin Luther King, Jr. Day?

Yes 6% 4395 votes

No 94% 64175 votes

Total: 68570 votes

I was surprised at the numbers, I thought more people would have been involved in something regarding this event, day.

A commemorative service marked the King holiday at Ebenezer Baptist Church, where King was preacher from 1960 until his assassination in 1968 at age 39.

Thousands of people were expected to take part in an afternoon rally and march through downtown Atlanta.

In Washington, President Bush planned to attend an event honoring King at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

As you can see, there were plenty of events, this only lists a couple, but I was just surprised at the numbers on that poll.

So, did you do anything special for this day ?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The only holiday I ever do anything is Christmas and Thanksgiving.

The rest I dont ever know about unless someone tells me, then I am "oh" and thats about it.

When I was in High School I appreciated the holiday vacations, thats about it.

What am I supposed to do on Martin Luther King Day? Im not religious, visiting a church is the last thing I would do. And im not oging to get in trouble making fun of KKK members.

Pointless holiday IMO. Well at least pointless in the spirit that there isnt much you can do to celebrate racial equality. Im also not to sure the black people have earned their equality yet, they still arent model citizens. Statistically speaking.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Conceidering most Governments and business close on the day. What is there do do?

I know at my school (An almost all white school) did go to the auditorium to hear his "I have a dream" speech. And we usually also had some other speaker there

But there really is no "traditional" think to do, except take some time to remember what he did and stood for

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I think it's terrible that corporations see the wealth to make in the black community, and go after it.

McDonald's "I'm lovin' it." Is but one example of all the focus the black community gets.

This day would be a day that people could remember or learn about some of the things that created the situation we have today and where we came from.

Black people are still discriminated against in America on a daily basis, and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

Don't just complain about it, learn, read, remember that black people were justified into being bought, sold, beaten, raped, murdered, and having their culture and family trees eradicated.

It was only 40 years ago that people still hung them in trees.

Have we gone that far?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well, from personal experaince some Blacks don't mind being "poor black people" and use their history of being discriminated against to gain benifits. So what is worse being racist? or allowing racisim to benifit yourself?

Persoanlly I think any form of discriminaton is horrid, and some people ahve been through enough that we do not need to do any more to harm them

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I didn't realise it was MLK day until having a rant about the idle mailman - and then being told that there wouldn't be any mail anyway because it was a holiday.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I was wondering where the hell my Fedex was. I guess its a bunch of non-white people that deliver the mail.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Ritual]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I sat on my fat ass all day, does that count?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Nope. Life goes on as usual.
We don't do anything special.
And honestly - we don't care
that it's MLK day. Whatever.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think for about 30 seconds what the guy did. And that’s about it. Actually, not a whole lot of what the man preached back then is even practiced today. Its too bad because he was a great man. I think if people still held his philosophies to heart, maybe the holiday would have more meaning....

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It was nice to have the day off!
My wife and I slept in, we woke up around 10:30, went out for brunch at noon, did a little shopping after brunch, came back home about 2:30pm and then I spent the afternoon working in the garage on my Supermotard Husaberg.

It was nice to have a day off!

top topics

join