It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Defense of Being Thick-Skinned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Please open your Bibles, and let's get started.

74 Bible Verses about How To Treat Your Enemies

There are two verses out of all the verses quoted on the web page above that I want to discuss.

Luke 6:27-28 ESV
“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.

Is that not a perfect description of being thick-skinned? As long we're just talking about words and ill will, I agree with Luke 6:27-28. If we're talking about violence, I don't agree with it.

Why do I agree with Luke 6:27-28? It's because of my beliefs about the law of attraction.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― George Carlin

In my opinion, the quote directly above describes how Luke 6:27-28 relates to the law of attraction. Look at what the verses mention:

Enemies
Hate
Curses
Abuse

All of that amounts to stupidity to me (with rare exceptions). If you allow those things to creep into your consciousness, they can overwhelm you and lead you to places you don't want to go.

I highly recommend the film "Sliding Doors" to everyone.

www.youtube.com...

Just as you can see in the video above, if the woman gets on the train when she had planned, her life goes in one direction. If she misses the train, her life is completely different.

If you're thick-skinned, your life will get derailed to a place you don't want to go less often (a place of negativity). In other words, you will have more control over what you're attracting into your life. And, you will have a better life.
edit on 29-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Love that Carlin quote. I was just talking about that in another thread.

That verse in the bible means don't build up resentment towards others that wrong you, forgiving them is better.

Depends though how dedicated someone is to running you for their own selfish ends. How can you forgive someone that never lets up?
edit on 29-6-2016 by intrptr because: name

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
That verse in the bible means don't build up resentment towards others that wrong you, forgiving them is better.

That doesn't mean being thick-skinned?

I don't agree with your interpretation anyway:

Luke 6:27-28 ESV
“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.

I don't see anything about "resentment" or "forgiving" in those verses. I see "love your enemies", "do good to those who hate you", "bless those who curse you", and "pray for those who abuse you." That sounds to me like four commands that have nothing to with "resentment" or "forgiving."

How can you forgive someone that never lets up?

Thankfully, those verses don't mention forgiveness. I didn't mention forgiveness in the original post either. The topic of this thread is the virtues of being thick-skinned.

If you want my personal opinion, I don't believe in forgiveness without a genuine apology by the perpetrator. Even then, I don't always believe in forgiveness. What's your opinion on that?
edit on 29-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Forgiveness is more about not having hatred and resentment build up inside of you. It doesn't matter if the other person asks for it or laughs at your for it. It's about your own personal health and feelings and moving on. It doesn't mean what the other person did was okay, acceptable, or that you were fine with it.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Exactamente! if a dog comes in your house and pees all over your floor, sure you can forgive and you can forget. But if you dont do anything to stop a repeat your a fool! a reply to: jjkenobi

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The word forgiveness used in the new Testament is translated from the Greek word aphesis which means freed from bondage NOT pardoned of guilt which is a modern definition used to support a religious agenda.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Thats because you've been brainwashed.

Do you 'pray for others' like bow your head and tell god what to do? Hey god forgive those people, like who the hell are you telling god what to do. He's the judge, he'll handle it, quite without your 'help'.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Thats because you've been brainwashed.

Do you 'pray for others' like bow your head and tell god what to do? Hey god forgive those people, like who the hell are you telling god what to do. He's the judge, he'll handle it, quite without your 'help'.

I am not "brainwashed." I belong to no religion. I see "love your enemies", "do good to those who hate you", "bless those who curse you", and "pray for those who abuse you." How much clearer can those words be? How can you change the meaning of the words to meaning "forgiveness"? I don't see any allusions to forgiveness in the verses.

Will you please focus on the words in the verses rather than your interpretation of them?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
To Forgive or Not to Forgive this is the Question. In reality, all forgiving another does, is to release oneself from the pain one is feeling inside.

To Not Forgive is to carry the pain(remember pain is only a sensation), like a sack of rocks on ones back until one decides to simply, drop it and walk away.

There never really was anything to forgive in the first place, and why? Because simply, nothing in reality exists. We only have the sensation that it does, which brings me back to the hive mind/borg mind set.

Much like Lynne McTaggert, a British Scientist i believe, in her book mentions a Field which lives above us. We are all connected to that invisible field where everything we believe has been said and all knowledge is there for those who knowing and unknowingly tap into it. She did an experiment in which she asked random people to 'think' about something/someone as a group to see what would happen if everyone 'prayed' together.

I believe it worked. Again, it's been a few years i'd have to look it up.

Subliminal Suggestions are powerful and some are more inclined to be induced by that than others. We're all seeing the same thing around us because of that Field like effect.

There was another story i remember hearing about a Native Tribe who didn't see the Europeans coming towards them in their Ship, a ways out from land. The reason being, they had no concept of what a White skin Person looked like, nor their foreign looking ships. So, the ships were completely invisible to them until the Shaman in that Tribe who was more aware on the level spoke to them about what he was seeing, then, little by little they slowly began to see it too.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Will you please focus on the words in the verses rather than your interpretation of them?

Sorry, over the millennia(s) the words are changed, the meaning lost.

I hope assholes go away, too. They won't though. Not till someone throws them into the sun.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Good movie. I've only watched a bit of it, i'll let you know how it goes later on with it.

top topics

join