It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t Take My Guns, Christy Sheats Said

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

And what have you done to inform the local PD of your concerns and her threats of violence?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

there is no system in place for situations like hers. If there were then maybe she would have already reported it. If she called up her local PD and complained "my acquaintance has guns and posts on facebook that she will use them if she has to...", the local PD might wright her up for annoying the crap out of them.

If this were taken more seriously and there were legal steps to take in order to anonymously commit someone who could be a possible threat, then that would be a different story.

Gun Nutters do not think it is necessary (not saying you are one).

Remember...there is a big difference between a Gun Nutter and a Gun Enthusiast.

edit on 30-6-2016 by veracity because: awkward wording and typos

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

First they have to effectively legally define the line of demensia in admiralty law.
THEN they would actually have to enforce existing laws.
In short the system is a cheat for cash.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

So, doing nothing is an option in that case? Sorry, I do not agree. There are numerous ways to inform the police, who MUST take the report. Whether they act on that is their decision. But doing nothing simply exacerbates the situation, and I personally would hold the one not reporting partially responsible if she does kill someone (gun or no gun).

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

And what have you done to inform the local PD of your concerns and her threats of violence?

Nothing of course. I don't live in the US, I live on the other side of the world, and since she has not yet actually committed a crime, there is nothing to accuse her of. She has been hospitalized in a psych hospital a couple of times, and she got close to physically attacking a man with cognitive disabilities yesterday, because he came up to her and touched her hand.
But the attack stayed verbal because his caretaker (handler, she called him) interceded.

Apparently she's left the family home, though I don't know the details about that. it is up to her kids to call the police. But I know from experience that kids have problems embracing that their mother is truly dangerous. You always kind of want to hold on to the fantasy that she will get better one day.

That's why we need objective uninvolved professionals to determine that. But whatever. I'm not living there anymore, so am aware I have no say in the laws of that country anymore.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

Nothing of course. I don't live in the US, I live on the other side of the world, and since she has not yet actually committed a crime, there is nothing to accuse her of. She has been hospitalized in a psych hospital a couple of times, and she got close to physically attacking a man with cognitive disabilities yesterday, because he came up to her and touched her hand.
But the attack stayed verbal because his caretaker (handler, she called him) interceded.

Apparently she's left the family home, though I don't know the details about that. it is up to her kids to call the police. But I know from experience that kids have problems embracing that their mother is truly dangerous. You always kind of want to hold on to the fantasy that she will get better one day.

That's why we need objective uninvolved professionals to determine that. But whatever. I'm not living there anymore, so am aware I have no say in the laws of that country anymore.

I see, so because you no longer live in the country, screw her and anyone she might harm? Nice attitude.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I see, so because you no longer live in the country, screw her and anyone she might harm? Nice attitude.

Rubbish. Nice try.

My comment about my right to say anything about laws was referring to how much I will get involved in the debate about gun control in the US. I feel I have forfeited my right to get too involved in American politics anymore, even if I legally have the right to vote. I figure I am not there, I will not have to live with the consequences of my voting choices.

Back to this woman (an old friend from high school), like I said, there is nothing I can do. Even if I was there. She hasn't done a criminal act yet. We have to wait until she has, then we can act. That's the law.

There is no law against the crazy rants and bragging about her willingness to kill anyone that she needs to defend herself from....even if perception of threat is something that can vary and will have to be debated in the courtroom after the fact. Even the mentally ill have the right to rant and rave and carry around guns. Only if she made very specific types of threats to her family can they maybe do something.
edit on 30-6-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I sorta agree with you but that would mean I would be calling the police about once a week with the crazies I come into contact with on messageboards and facebook.

edit on 30-6-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

First they have to effectively legally define the line of demensia in admiralty law.
THEN they would actually have to enforce existing laws.
In short the system is a cheat for cash.

All of that is besides the point. We know our mental health system is failing in the US. It wouldn't take much to make it a little more robust, with better screening, hotlines, public awareness, easier access, more information, better education, and more programs that help especially in cases of domestic violence.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

she might not have been mentally ill when she got them. you don't know when she went off the deep end.

Good point!

Perhaps for the safety for society at large gun owners should have regularly scheduled mental health exams.
Especially those that have to constantly chant guns this guns that, shows an unhealthy obsession.

K~

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

I sorta agree with you but that would mean I would be calling the police about once a week with the crazies I come into contact with on messageboards and facebook.

You misunderstand, as usual. No, you would not be calling weeekly about crazies you me online. In this case, she knows this woman PERSONALLY. She can verify, she is making these threats, and her intent. And, knows she has ready access to firearms. In your case, do you personally know these people? Do you know, from first-hand experience their actual intent and ability to carry out a threat? Do you know for a fact they have firearms? Do you know the location of them and their family?

That is the big difference here. Not only threat, but INTENT, and coupled with known access to firearms.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

In this case, she knows this woman PERSONALLY. She can verify, she is making these threats, and her intent. And, knows she has ready access to firearms. In your case, do you personally know these people? Do you know, from first-hand experience their actual intent and ability to carry out a threat? Do you know for a fact they have firearms? Do you know the location of them and their family?

That is the big difference here. Not only threat, but INTENT, and coupled with known access to firearms.

This woman has a lot of Facebook friends- all of our high school group is there, and more. She is posting multiple photos of her firearms, she is posting things like "JUst so y'all KNOW, ain't NO ONE goin to f*ck with ME!! This is what I'm PACKIN! Love this baby, just give me an OPPORTUNITY to use it!!!"
-While going back and forth each day with love you -hate you histronics about everyone close to her.

But none of this is illegal. There is nothing anyone can do. Even her shrink who has her on meds cannot do anything. Only if he can give concrete proof that she is a direct and immediate danger to herself and others can he have her hospitalized against her will for a short period (but that is very hard to do). But her guns? He can't do anything about that.

But I'm going to stay out of this thread now. This is what you guys WANT, and everything we want comes with a price- everything has a upside and downside. The price of full freedom in this respect is that unstable people will often crack and kill loved ones or strangers. If that is worth it to you all, then so be it. I have taken the wise advice of "If you don't like what the majority has chosen, then leave." I went somewhere in which the majority has made choice that are closer to what I prefer.

I just sometimes feel a bit sad and distressed for people I left behind. But I know, that is their choice...
edit on 30-6-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Without a legal line you're wasting time.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
Here's a conversation between me and a Typical Repressed On Line Liberal (TROLL)*

TROLL: A mom killed her kids with guns, something has to be done!!!!! Guns are EVIL!!!!!!!!

ME: Here's a test, name 10 ways that a mother could kill her kids

Ways a mother could kill her two kids

1) Guns
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Two awake, healthy, teenagers, in daylight? From an average middle aged woman? Very difficult by any other means, and easy with firearms.
edit on 4-7-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennelPoison,driving a car off the road,machete,baseball bat-by the way,more people are murdered by beatings than guns according to the FBI,there are many ways to kill someone if you want to.Guns are one way,yes,but the problem here is mental health issues she had and everyone ignoring the warning signs.Imagine if she had let gas leak,invited them over and struck a match....goodbye neighborhood.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join