It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t Take My Guns, Christy Sheats Said

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

So what would happen if you couldn't pass the necessary background check to keep a weapon that was left to you?

Like I said would you have to turn it over to the state?

Could be a collector's item. Could be very valuable. What if it's not even in working order?

That's forfeiture of property. Another amendment gone.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

I guess when that happens then you must turn it over to the state. Or maybe you could have some time to sell it and at least make some money off of it. I like that idea much better than turning it over to the state. Just as speeding tickets, there could be some sort of paper, receipt that you can send to the court / state (nowadays scan and email) to prove it was sold within a certain amount of time.

Then you are no longer under question...you just don't get any guns bc you are considered a threat.

NOw...as far as what could be considered a threat is the most debatable part of this issue. For example, in this case of Christy Sheats...there were many suicidal 911 calls from her house...those could be considered red flags for 1.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well I suppose if someone wanted to circumvent that they could just bury it, stash it somewhere, give it away, write up a fake bill of sale..

I mean, if the state can't prove you have a gun then they can't charge you with possession, right?

My point is people will always break the law. I agree that this woman should not have had a gun. I just don't see how more laws would have changed anything.
edit on 29-6-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Yes there are always the ways to get around it but if you want full clearance without fear of getting fined or thrown in jail, then do the legal paperwork, etc.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think anyone who would murder her own daughters would have any problems keeping or illegally obtaining a weapon.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm as much for nationwide background checks and a national registration database as anyone

Seig Heil.

SEIG HEIL.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
11000 people murdered by guns yearly and the number of gun and voilence crime decreasing almost every year for decades (even when the number of guns is at the zenith), and we need more senseless gun laws that do nothing? Why? We should spend more time caring for and fix our mental health system. Better yet lets fix our healthcare system .. last I've checked 250,000 were killed this year alone due to medical mistakes.
edit on 29-6-2016 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I'm as much for nationwide background checks and a national registration database as anyone

Seig Heil.

SEIG HEIL.

True colors showing through at last Neo?

Does this have something to do with the topic or with my comment?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

What if she was possessed by demons?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Gun control will not ever be possible in the sense it`ll stop killing,1-criminals will never give up their weapons.2-Black market weapons will flood the country,already are,come to think of it.3-a hobby shop can easily make a serviceable gun.4-if you think there won`t be civil disobedience on a scale not seen since 1776 you would buy oceanfront property in Arizona.5-How can you jail all the owners who refuse to comply?6-You think the firearm death count is high wait till we get hit by car bombs,chemical and biolodical,and thanks to Iran being allowed to develop nukes,a small nuke in a major city.Gonna happen folks,tptb seem to want it too,and our politicians don`t have the will to stop it.911 killers didn`t have guns and killed more people than any 10 mass shootings.Hell,more people get beat to death every year than shot.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

it is given that it will not stop killing with a gun all together, however, stricter laws will be helpful with the negligent shooters (children with guns), massacres and crazies with guns.

To define a crazy is hard tho, see, I consider myself a crazy.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity Won`t help with massacres,those people will get one or use something else,parents definitely should store guns where little kids can`t get them,but covernment has no way to enforce that.Truly crazy people should be in facilities that can take care of them.As far as kids and guns most people in this area grow up shooting and know better than to touch one without permission

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

How many times must it be said. "You cannot legislate stupid". People will be stupid....and that is not currently illegal. Case in point....this week in Massachusetts a man (not a child) shot his best friend (a local firefighter) while both were drinking and "playing" with a gun. He was an adult, had his CCW (which is VERY hard to get in this state), went through a background check and waiting period to get this gun. Knowing the consequences, he stupidly did NOT follow the 1st rule of ownership, "the gun is always loaded", and proceeded to point it at his friend and shot him in the chest....dead. He is now charged with involuntary manslaughter, and will likely go to jail. See, the law worked to PUNISH his stupidity. In addition he now has to live with the fact he killed his best friend because he was being stupid.

Laws are not there to prevent or to deter crime. Laws are written to state what not to do, and the punishments involved if you do not follow that law. They do NOT prevent crime, as that is in the realm of "thought crime prevention" and is only within the purview of a repressive and overly draconian society (think N. Korea). In a free society, stupidity will happen, and cannot be predicted. No background check or other restriction will prevent that from happening. Life is a series of risk management strategies at best.

NOTE: There is no "safe space" and anyone that believes that is both living in a fantasy world and should be diagnosed as mentally ill and out-of-tough with reality IMO.

edit on 6/30/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

put a knife or bare hands in place of a semi-automatic weapon in each massacre scenario...see how it would help now? Probably would not have happened or not on a large enough scale to be labeled a massacre.

I do not want to go over this a third time on ATS. I believe we are both wanting the same thing but looking to get there in very different ways.

edit on 30-6-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Stop calling people with superior intelligence and knowledge"nuts"
This isn't high school.
I WILL not be governed by the acts of madmen, govern the mad,not me.
Its academic of course because those who disagree either lack knowledge or they simply live their lives in fear of the next threat.
We don't we have guns, FAR more resolve ,history BACKS the idea,which MOST opponents don't have any idea about.
AND ,SOME of us used them on a professional basis.
Making US the ones to be fear and demonized ...blah ,blah,blah.
We win ,that's the law and we don't want to change it.
edit on 30-6-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

what?? lol

so all gun nuts have superior intelligence is what you are saying?

sorry, so confused

did we go to highschool together?

I feel like I am in the twilight zone

it is usually ignorance and narrow mindedness that throws me into it. I try to hard to understand idiocracy and theres just no understanding it...

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

That is the failure of progressive collectivist thinking and your error.
I NEVER say all of ANY group is something it's an error.
What YOU have done is displace YOUR ideas in place of what I said.
The word "People" DOESN'T qualify as "all",in a discription.
WHO'S the idiot NOW?
GOOD NEWS!
you can easily catch me with spelling errors if you can't read.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Im sorry if ive upset you but I cannot understand what you are saying, can we just agree not to converse with each other anymore?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
As in many of these cases, this is a mental health issue. There were signs and she was also denied a CCW recently.

We need more money put into mental health resources.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is exactly why I cannot join in the sentiment of completely non-regulated gun sales.

Yes, criminals will get guns anyways, and yes, people should be able to defend themselves in case of need.

But some people are not born criminals, they can become so just because they are mentally sick, or young and clumsy, or old and clumsy... and wouldn't have become murderers if it wasn't so easy to have a gun. Not everyone is capable of handling the responsibility.

I prefer the system here, where we have to renew our licenses each year, and we are checked on to see if we are keeping them safely and correctly, know how to use them correctly, are practicing at a club regularly.

I have an aquaintence (lives in the US) who is completely nuts, and is prone to fits of crazy fury every other day, for nothing and everything. Her rants are completely insane and she has destroyed her family . She also posts tons of pictures of her guns on Facebook, bragging that she'll not hesitate to kill anyone who bothers her.

I am sure I am going to see an article like this about her one day. I already feel sad for her kids and husband.
edit on 30-6-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join