It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t Take My Guns, Christy Sheats Said

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: shredderofsouls

she might not have been mentally ill when she got them. you don't know when she went off the deep end.

Erm... You don't exactly catch mental illnesses like you catch a cold you know?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

probably just like your made up factoids on why guns are safe, lol

now who has made sh@@ up now. care to show me where i supposedly made up any thing about "guns are safe," in this thread or any other.

and in fact there are such thing as a complete safe weapons, a weapon that is unloaded, has a trigger lock and is in a gun safe is a complete safe weapon. it can't kill anyone in that condition.

prove me wrong.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

that's true, it is a a slow process in some, in others it can happen in a short period of time. but it is still a fact that you can't always tell when someone is mentally ill.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

that's true, it is a a slow process in some, in others it can happen in a short period of time. but it is still a fact that you can't always tell when someone is mentally ill.

Perhaps. Our knowledge mental health is rather limited. For all we know the signs for most mental illnesses can be there your whole life. Maybe some people are genetically predisposed to getting PTSD for instance? On the other hand, perhaps you are right as well. We really need more studies on this...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

here is a pretty good article on the subject, short and straight to some cauces

Environmental stressors:
Certain stressors -- such as a death or divorce, a dysfunctional family life, changing jobs or schools, and substance abuse -- can trigger a disorder in a person who may be at risk for developing a mental illness.
Mental Illness Basics

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

From what I've been reading, 911 calls had been made from the home 14 times since 2012. Some of those calls were because of the home security alarm, but at least 3 of them were because the woman threatened to kill herself. There's no way guns should have been allowed in that home. Having said that, I am well aware that this woman would have found another way - knife, poison, burning down the house, etc.

I think the reason she did this was to punish her husband for the marital troubles they were having. That's why she didn't shoot at him - she wanted him to live with this tragedy for the rest of his life. Looks like she got her wish.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

Some would argue the free flow of gun's in general supplies the black market via various mechanisms..and round and round it goes..too late now.
Peace.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I definitely do not think guns should be "handed down".

If you want to get rid of a gun or give it away as a gift, that should be illegal, is it not already??? isn't that called illegal gun ownership?

The person you give the guns to should have to do all of the necessary paperwork, evaluations to have a gun, of course.

Is this not happening now???
edit on 29-6-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I'm more speaking from a total knowledgebase perspective here. The problem is that the science of psychology is just too new for us to properly understand mental illness like we do physical illness.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

see my last post in the exqoute, Environmental stressors.
she may not have shown any signs that she was mentally ill before the family breakup. and unless during the time frame from 2012 to now, if she was not ordered to undergo a evaluation and found mentally unfit, or like in fl Baker Acted and found unfit.
she had every right to have her gun. Texas has a process for Involuntary Mental Health Commitments.

now i know that many are going to jump on me about this, but someone in the family should have contacted authorities and had this done. also if they cops have been out as many times as said then they also dropped the ball.

and yes, i think she did it to get back at her old man.
edit on 29-6-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: joemoe

Are they anti-gun, or do they believe there needs to be more hoops to jump through to get a firearm. That's an important distinction we need to address.

Since they took on that stance they have leap frog many who were a bit "left of center" and made them right wingers "at least in their perpective".

Not really. Many of us on the Left still exercise and stand-up for the 2nd amendment, but we just can't stand with the gun nuts because, well, they're nutty and don't articulate their rights very well.

I would like to ask an honest question of you. You claim to support the 2nd Amendment, yet you are advocating for "more hoops to jump through to get a firearm". That, in itself, is considered infringing. And, the 2nd Amendment clearly states "shall not be infringed". How do you justify advocating for more infringements yet support the amendment when the amendment clearly states the opposite?

See, you cannot pick-and-choose the parts of an amendment you support. It is an all or nothing decision. I am honestly curious how you can be on both sides of the fence here.

edit on 6/29/2016 by Krakatoa because: spelling

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
As a gun owner, I support common sense gun laws, but the OP does not demonstrate how a more comprehensive background check would have prevented the crime from taking place. The guns I've purchased (through a gun dealer) I've owned for many years. Any background check or review of my mental health back then would not necessarily be the same 20 years later. Any number of events could have changed my mental status over the years.

Now I'm no fan of the ability for any gun owner to sell privately to someone else without the same background checks that dealers must abide by, and I am a big supporter of the thought that every gun should be registered and a notice of sale with the new owner's legal identification submitted on EVERY gun sale, but expanding mental health background checks would not have done anything to stop this from happening, and even if she had no guns, she was going to kill those kids.

There has to be a common middle ground with sensible gun laws, and without the overreaction every time someone kills with a gun (liberals) or every time someone calls out for stricter gun laws (conservatives).

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I would like to ask an honest question of you. You claim to support the 2nd Amendment, yet you are advocating for "more hoops to jump through to get a firearm". That, in itself, is considered infringing.

I did not say that. I was speaking about what others believe. Are they anti-gun, or do they believe we need more hoops to jump through to ensure bad people don't get guns? Read it again.

And, the 2nd Amendment clearly states "shall not be infringed". How do you justify advocating for more infringements yet support the amendment when the amendment clearly states the opposite?

I did not claim to advocate for more infringements.

Read it again.

See, you cannot pick-and-choose the parts of an amendment you support. It is an all or nothing decision. I am honestly curious how you can be on both sides of the fence here.

I'm not.

Read it again. I did not say anything in that post to give you that impression.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

This is...just a thought...

You know how you have to take a test or refresher course to keep your lawyer or real estate license? What if a similar law went into effect for your gun license? For example, every 5 years (about the same time as your ABC card for selling liquor).

Seems pretty legit and simple. Or is this already happening.

See I cannot believe some restrictions are not already active.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

No, it is legal to hand down your guns/give them away, as it should be.

What would you propose to do differently? Once your dead the state takes your guns?

That goes against private property rights.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

NO, if you want to take a dead person's gun or a gun as a gift...then take the legal precautionary measure to do so.

IF not, then you are illegally keeping a gun and you can be fined...or whatever.

Are you sure this is not already in place. Seems like a no-brainer. Pisses me off if it isn't.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I retract the question.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

So you need to ask permission to exercise a right guaranteed to you in the constitution?

I disagree. I won't give up a right because some people are unnecessarily scared of it. You wouldn't for your rights, correct?

And yes, I am sure. Makes perfect sense to me.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

Can we ban water please?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Its still a right. You are giving up nothing. If you are not mentally competent to have that right then it gets taken away. I wouldn't mind at all to upkeep my right to bear arms. I already upkeep my right to vote...every time I move.

We all upkeep our right to bear arms when we do not commit a felony.

You are losing nothing...just gaining safety of American citizens.

If you perhaps are a nut job that may lose his guns with this scenario...I can see how you would not like that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join