It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t Take My Guns, Christy Sheats Said

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
D on’t Take My Guns, Christy Sheats Said. Then She Shot Her Daughters.

Houston mom Christy Sheats was fond of sharing pro-gun memes on Facebook. Then she turned her gun on her own girls. And the GOP will say there’s nothing we can do.

“It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that’s exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns.”

So tell me again why background checks should not be more in-depth? This was an obviously mentally ill person and a more thorough background check would have stopped her from owning a gun and possibly saving her children's lives.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: shredderofsouls

she might not have been mentally ill when she got them. you don't know when she went off the deep end.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

This is very sad. Stricter laws for buying guns needs to be enforced.

Pro Gun nuts (and not all pro gun supporters are nuts, just the nutty ones) would argue that cars kill more people, if she didn't have guns she would have done it with another source, restriction is a knee-jerk reaction, blah blah blah.

I will never understand how twisted and ignorant people can be.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

What evidence is there in the article that a more in depth background check would have made it possible to remove her guns from her possession?

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'm as much for nationwide background checks and a national registration database as anyone, but, as sad and horrific and tragic as this story is: a) this crazy woman had a undeniable Constitutional right to own firearms and b) there's no way any system of regulation can predict when someone is going to lose their minds and kill their children.

Bit of false equivalency going on here, OP.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

She posted pro gun memes on Facebook. Facebook posters = nut job...

*off your delete my Facebook account

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

We'll said! I wish I was mature enough to not resort to sarcasm, but these threads have damn near ruined my ability to respond seriously.

Props for your maturity. Ya stupid poop head!

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

that still doesn't mean that when she got them that she was mentally ill.
a more thorough background check may have not shown anything, and even a Psych Eval may not have turned up anything.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

oops, my bad, like sheldon cooper sometimes i have a problem distinguishing people being serious and being sarcastic.

edit on 29-6-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: Gryphon66

We'll said! I wish I was mature enough to not resort to sarcasm, but these threads have damn near ruined my ability to respond seriously.

Props for your maturity. Ya stupid poop head!

LOL ... give me time.

I'm sure I'll be my regular "poopy" self before too long.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Background checks to prevent the mentally ill from getting guns are already in place. However, becuase of lax rules and a broken mental health system prevent the system from working as intended. Also as was mentioned before even if the system was working, there is no evidence to suggests that she was mettally ill when she bought the guns.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Pre-crime much?

Guilty until proven innocent much?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I read about this a few days ago. The family had a long history of the police being called for domestic issues. She was separated from her husband and daughters and did this to make her husband suffer.
www.foxnews.com...

Madison Davey, a friend of the Sheats daughters, told KTRK-TV that the two girls were caught up in the troubled marriage of their parents. She said that Jason Sheats told her that Christy Sheats shot her daughters because she wanted him to suffer.

So tell me again why background checks should not be more in-depth?

She Did Not Buy The Gun
You need to get the facts straight, before you start spouting more anti gun propaganda.

Davey also said that the weapon used in the murders was passed down from Christy Sheats’ great-grandfather “to protect the family.”[/exne
edit on 29-6-2016 by DAVID64 because: forgot to add the link

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I'm as much for nationwide background checks and a national registration database as anyone, but, as sad and horrific and tragic as this story is: a) this crazy woman had a undeniable Constitutional right to own firearms and b) there's no way any system of regulation can predict when someone is going to lose their minds and kill their children.

Bit of false equivalency going on here, OP.

Quoted for truth.
I like when I get to give you a star!

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This "mentally ill" stuff can, and probably will, lead to bureaucratic overreaching. If the left wingers got their way anyone posting on a right-wing conspiracy website would be considered mentally I'll and put on the no buy gun list...... Even left-wingers that support the cause.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

So she inherited the guns = no new or improved background check laws would have prevented this. There are millions of legal unregistered guns in the US being handed down thru family every year. My neighbor have a sharps carbine thats been passed down in his family for a few generations now.
edit on 29-6-2016 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here's a conversation between me and a Typical Repressed On Line Liberal (TROLL)*

TROLL: A mom killed her kids with guns, something has to be done!!!!! Guns are EVIL!!!!!!!!

ME: Here's a test, name 10 ways that a mother could kill her kids

Ways a mother could kill her two kids

1) Guns
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

TROLL: can I use guns for all 10 spots

ME: No

TROLL: Can I use guns, rifles, assault rifles, pistols....

ME: they are all guns

TROLL: I am stuck at 1 then. We must BAN ALL GUNS

*Patent Pending

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: thinline

I am sorry, so confused...
Is that a made up conversation in your head?

if so...why? Why did you post it?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results
- Albert Einstein

I will never understand how twisted and ignorant people can be.
- veracity

There ... these goes well together.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that’s exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns.

It is this kind of statement that we seem to hear and read all too often.

The gun-culture is this country has wrongly applied the notion that Democrats and Leftists want to ban firearms or further erode the 2nd amendment right. Even on this very site we see similar statements being made.

While it is true there are some that would like to do as described and the Democrat leadership seem to placate to those people, it is incorrect. Many people on the Left exercise their 2nd amendment right and do not want to infringe on it an more than it already has been.

The problem seems to be that the nutty gun-culture has become more about political divisiveness than the actual right to bear arms itself, as the quote above indicates.

I will stand with anyone defending the right to bear arms, but the nutty gun-culture needs to get itself in check. You make us all look like loons when you cannot articulate the right to bear arms without going off on a rant about Democrats/Leftists and how they are trying to take away your guns.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join