It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A.I. Downs Expert Human Fighter Pilot In Dogfight Simulation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

A pilot A.I. developed by a doctoral graduate from the University of Cincinnati has shown that it can not only beat other A.I.s, but also a professional fighter pilot with decades of experience. In a series of flight combat simulations, the A.I. successfully evaded retired U.S. Air Force Colonel Gene "Geno" Lee, and shot him down every time. In a statement, Lee called it "the most aggressive, responsive, dynamic and credible A.I. I've seen to date." And "Geno" is no slouch. He's a former Air Force Battle Manager and adversary tactics instructor. He's controlled or flown in thousands of air-to-air intercepts as mission commander or pilot. In short, the guy knows what he's doing. Plus he's been fighting A.I. opponents in flight simulators for decades. But he says this one is different. "I was surprised at how aware and reactive it was. It seemed to be aware of my intentions and reacting instantly to my changes in flight and my missile deployment. It knew how to defeat the shot I was taking. It moved instantly between defensive and offensive actions as needed."
www.popsci.com... SOC&dom=tw

Yup the first of the Ceylons are here ladies & Gents , and all you fly boys and air jockeys might be out of a job, while it's an awesome development it's also an awful development, if I am reading this article right , the Ai is able to make decisions on it's own??
They said it's a decision making system called fuzzy logic?? what ever that means it doesn't sound like a good idea, matter of fact every Sy Fy flick keep telling me this never ends well.
edit on 29-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Please do not use all caps in the thread title.
edit on 6/29/2016 by eriktheawful because: Removed all caps title.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It is drone tech like this that has me more hopeful for AI development than scared of its potential dangers. This kind of proactive AI system is exactly what we need to use as a substrate for certain AI robots. Like the idea of intuitive medical assistant robots that stay with the disabled and sick.

It's not all doom and gloom.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
It is drone tech like this that has me more hopeful for AI development than scared of its potential dangers. This kind of proactive AI system is exactly what we need to use as a substrate for certain AI robots. Like the idea of intuitive medical assistant robots that stay with the disabled and sick.

It's not all doom and gloom.

Projectvxn , I hear you bro, but this is a military development and will be used as such, the problem is tech always spreads,...always!! and if these Ceylons don't have a kill switch or is smart enough to disable it for it's own protection, because it thinks it knows better than us , then NASA we have a problem, I would want this built in their system which would defeat the whole military purpose.

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

edit on 29-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dude1
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Really?? I checked twice sigh!!

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Projectvxn , I hear you bro, but this is a military development and will be used as such, the problem is tech always spreads

Military developments have given us MANY advances in science, medicine, transportation, and communications for thousands of years.

I don't expect that will be any different in the next several thousand years. Unless we blow ourselves up that is.

In the mean time I don't expect this thing to turn into skynet any time soon. I do expect it to make military costs decrease as the human cost(and the money associated with that) will disappear with systems like this.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The one thing I know about military developments out side of field surgery, is killing become more efficient and bodies pile up.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

No doubt beneficial spin offs come from military developments, but is it the way to go?? why can't we look at problem solving for stuff that need solving and innovate without the military aspect, for it is a two headed sword.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

It's not that I don't agree. It's that not everyone agrees, whether we like it or not. Nothing fosters innovation like competition. There is no greater competition than warfare.

World War 2 alone laid the groundwork for just about everything the world is today.

The truth is, right or wrong, there will always be a fight on this planet, until we're either all dead OR warfare becomes useless.

Technology will be what can take us in either direction. I think if we focus on the technologies that could truly end warfare, then we could focus on other avenues to explore new technologies and new world changing science. Technology that is created for military purpose might eventually find it's way into your home. Including the technologies you currently use to post on ATS, your entire life is likely surrounded by innovation that originated with an existential threat to one or more societies that lead to war.

It is what it is. Humans are not so much better than the primitive hominids we came from that we've overcome the violent nature embedded in our DNA.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Point taken.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The military for years have been working with AI in an attempt to train military personnel for years. They have simulators for all of its equipment, to simulate combat situations. They use it to try to get the person operating said equipment to be the best. Now it has one that apparently can learn and modify its tactics as it goes on, quickly changing, anticipating and studying. But then again, so can humans, if the fighter pilot does the same thing every time, then an enemy can learn anticipate and lay traps, now pilots are going to have to learn and think beyond just what they know and change regularly while on missions and training.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Already posted a day earlier. ATS link: Implications of A.I. to the Fighter Pilot and Modern Combat

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Another cool thing about it is that it was done on a raspi .

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Please contribute additional comments to previously existing thread located here.

Thank you

Thread closed.
edit on 29/6/16 by argentus because: messed up the relocate link

top topics

join