It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this post but since it is terrorist related...

Just thoughts.

I use the public transportation system in Boston to get to and from work each day. Every day I am just amazed at the lack of security on the MBTA System, Commuter Rail and bus lines. My final destination is South Station. If you're familiar with Boston, South Station and North Station are two main (major) hubs where all of the lines and modes of transportation meet. South Station is across the street from the FED and North Station is right underneath the Boston Garden (major sports / concert arena). If you're in either of those stations you see some security and sometimes local or state police standing around but that's it. I always hope that something is going on behind the scenes to increase security, but most likely that is not the case. Anyone can board any train, from any station, at any time, carrying any kind of bag, box, device... there are no security checks. No dogs, no metal detectors, no random searches, nothing. All you need is a Friday afternoon rush hour commute in the Summer time when everyone is trying to get out of the city. You have hundreds of train-cars and busses all converging at the same area, at the same time. Thousands upon thousands of travelers, professional workers, students, etc. At South Station the main building is filled with people waiting for the commuter rail and Amtrack / bus service not to mention the many eateries and stores in that building. Right underground are two of the major transportation lines (north and south / airport and bus). All it would take is one person on one train car and it would be a horrific disaster. Every time there is an act of terrorism I think about this. I can't be the only one but no one seems to talk about it.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
In my opinion, your personal safety should be no one's responsibility other than your own. If your fear of public transportation is crippling you, find another way to work. If it's not that bad, just be mindful of your surroundings. If you ever get a gut feeling that you shouldn't be on the train today, trust it.

Honestly, though, it's very improbable that you'll ever be killed in a terrorist attack, especially on American soil. There are things a thousand times more likely to kill you, like the train itself.

Stop sweating the small things.
edit on 29-6-2016 by Excallibacca because: grammar

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

Thank you for the reply but no where did I mention that I was worried, fearful or crippled by it. It is just a thought. I am well aware of my surroundings and have taken measures to secure my personal safety. I am not expecting anything to happen, just noting that it's a pretty good target. I work in the most secure building in the city. Anything happens we go on lock down. I am not stressed or worried in the least.

edit on 29-6-2016 by Scorpiogurl because: Added

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

Well then what's your point?

Anything can happen anywhere at any time, welcome to planet Earth.

Are you saying we should have 100% security 100% of the time? Because that's Martial law, and it's called a police state.

I hope to never see that in this country.

Could you imagine the TSA at every bus and train station?

Nothing would ever get accomplished, we'd spend our entire lives standing in line.

Great
Now, I've got myself all worked up.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
People are too afraid when they have nothing else to do than to think how secure everything is!

I really don´t give a single f*ck about terrorism/security, don´t have time for something like this, i wanna live my life.
And i don´t feel more secure with those videocameras everywhere, with a militarized police or spying on all people, sure "only for their own security, against those evil terrorists, that hide behind every corner", according to the mass media, to the politicians, to the three letter agencies. According to all those who profit if the people are feared, because one rules with fear.

I don´t wanna live in a "security state". And it is impossible to create a security state that´s secure.
Since 9/11 the west, with the USA as an idol, is trying to create so called security states. And what happened since that. Terrorism appears more often. Logically consequence, because the security is not for the people, not against terrorism, as you can see. It is for the security for those in powers. They know that riots will come, worldwide riots, the war, started by the rich, against the people, will become hot the next years, maybe even months, because the people are fed up to the back teeth.

They fear us so we see everywhere lacks of security, maybe report them to the "security" officials, so they can close the wholes where we maybe had some privacy left. It´s all about controlling the people, observing the people, spying on us. If they want security for us, in germany they have to forbid that allowed racing on our Autobahn, or to forbid cars, because everyday several people die by car accidents.

But they only want our OK to install more and more surveillance technique to spy on us, the "potential terrorists" we must be, if we need to be monitored by "our rulers". For own security...
And we are feared and thankful for the security we never get, are happy about more spying on us...

But that is not a wonder, yesterday i learned that a goldfisch has an attention span of 9 seconds, while the attention of people nowadays sunk to 8 seconds, since facebook, twitter and all that useless stuff. And that the Data of every single person is worth around 25.000 Euro.

So no, they don´t want security for us, they just want us all be feared, to fool us!

Just don`t believe that whole mass media terror fear crap, or how often did you become victim of a terror attack yet?
Just live YOUR life, and not that one the "rulers" want you to live, in fear, accepting everything the rulers do and say, because the rulers are the only ones that can save us from every evil on earth...BS!

I will die, guaranteed from cancer, as every felt second human nowadays, maybe i get struck by a lightning, get killed by a traffic accident, maybe by a heart attack, even maybe while cleaning my windows by falling down the first step of the ladder, or maybe by a terror attack.

Life is risk, and the way to die by a terror attack is the same risk as to die from whatever else. We just have to live with that risks, we have to accept them as a part of our life, thats it. The war against anything made everything just worse(except the war against the Nazis in WWII), or don´t we have any drug problems anymore? Why is there more terrorism since the war against that terrorism? Terrorism that was almost not present, before the war against it started?

edit on 29 6 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

What about security cameras?
My guess is that these stations and trains are under constant surveillance and that there's plain clothed teams moving through the mix of travelers with ear wigs plugged into the watchers. They're blended in such that you can't quite discern who they are.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Most security is an illusion anyway. It makes you feel safe but, if somebody really wants to do something they will. On that not you are more likely to be killed by lightning than by terrorism. Terrorism gets all the headlines but, the reality is in when comes to worrying about things that might kill you in ranks down their with getting hit by lightning, killed by vending machine, or drowning in your bath tub.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Ha! Sorry, I didn't mean for this post to get you worked up!

No, I don't expect to see security like that everywhere, especially when you're talking about a subway system. We'd never get to work! I guess I don't have a specific point, it was just a thought for some general discussion. Perhaps I should keep my thoughts to myself going forward

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Agree. Agree. Agree.
.... and agree.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Luckily I don't take baths!

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Because its too involved to secure. Look what you did here in your thread.

You perfectly described and noted all kinds of info in your op for any terrorist to use! That's a real problem.

Think of it: what specifics you just provided x how many hundreds of thousands of other riders everyday and night.

All your info here and everyone elses....a terrorist now has.

Stay safe...see or hear something..SAY something!

MS
1st Responder

**PS...Do not be afraid and let fear rule your daily life and routine....if you let it...terrorists win...God Bless.

edit on 29-6-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Good point! but it's not like a terrorist wouldn't have access to any of the information that I've shared. I mean I am just a general workin' commuter gal and I can see the flaws all around me.

Yes... see something, say something.

Example - a few weeks ago I went up into South Station to use the ladies room. In the stall next to me I could hear a woman going on and on right out loud saying "They're all dead, today is the day they all die, I'll murder them, all of them..." She wasn't quiet about it either. I peeked under the stall a little bit and could see a big Amazon box on the floor. I left immediately and went right to the security desk and told them about it. Chances are she was just one of the lost souls wandering around the city with mental issues. A homeless person maybe? But I didn't know for sure so I thought it would be better to report it. I have to say that they reacted immediately. I left SS as fast as I could just in case. So yeah, I'm aware of my surroundings and I keep my ears/eyes open for anything fishy. I don't even use my headphones anymore riding the train. I marvel at the folks wearing their headphones, missing general announcements and directions. Oh well, it is what it is, the state of the world we live in today.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I respond for Homeland Security-FEMA-EMS/Police/Emergency MAnagement Search and Rescue, and one of the most important positions during a social, emergency or disaster event-even carnivals...is something called "eyes and ears". Its also one of the easiest...and hands down one of the most critical.

One walks or drives around an event chit-chatting or stopping while looking for people, things, cars, groups, bags, boxes..anything or anyone who looks out of place or like they dont belong. Could be a guy or girl against a light pole, a person dressed with long shirts or coats in hot weather, even a group of people huddled together off to a side or next to something or someone.

Its important...and Im grateful to you for bringing this subject up. People should not be afraid to say something if they see or hear something...because perhaps youre the only one who notices something out of place...and you just never know.

By all means, we should not change our means of existence, or our way(s) of life. But we should remain vigilant...and always remember our own duty to protect ourselves, our neighbors and communities. We may be the only one.

Oh..and volunteer. Even if all you can do is use a computer or just walk. In our communities...we need everyone to be involved.

A good place to start or learn is READY.GOV, your local Emergency Management where you live, or the Citizen Corps or Medical Corps...even the Red Cross or similar organizations.

Thanks again Scorpiogurl for bringing this up. Best, MS

new topics

top topics

join