It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What were the Church of Satan's most important teachings?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

Yea, I can't argue that.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Are you assuming I was saying the confusion was yours?
I was not...
But if that is what you believe than you are...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
LaVey lifted a lot of his stuff in the original 1966 version of "The Satanic Bible" (and he shamelessly admitted this) from an 1890 book by Ragnar Redbeard, imagery from HP Lovecraft, and a little classical magic(k) tossed in from Dee and Crowley, and more than a little Objectivism from Ayn Rand.

LaVey was a showman, a lion-tamer, a calliope-player. He claimed to have dated Marilyn Monroe before she became famous.

LaVey's Satanism is a prime example of using delusion and inversion as a metaphor to set the mind free, said another way "It's all BS."

The fact that his little book is still making good Christian folks shiver in their panties 50 years later would give him a good belly laugh.
edit on 29-6-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracleNo.no it was all it was al Reidra's mistakes.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle
a reply to: Annee

Perhaps such individuals simply need a different definition to classify themselves more accurately based on their beliefs...
Seeing as they by definition are not actually athiest...

I AM atheist.

I define myself.

Atheists are individuals. Each can be, believe, or not. The only common denominator is Lack of Belief in a God.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

The answer is easy enough...
The church of Satan has no important teachings at all...

Far more than any church of god.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.".

We are creatures of pleasure. Under will.

not turn the other cheek crap, and chastity..

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years.

Amen

without the devil, god has no power.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Akragon

Hero's need villains.

well thats a crock. lol

Like without goods money still has value.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
That sounds like a great church to attend if you want to learn how to be a selfish asshole.

You know, if that's your thing and all.

Or someone who values their self.

Nothing wrong with being selfish. Being utterly selfless is where we fail... we ignore ourselves.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

gods words ?

I think not

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

a reply to: JinMI

I know better... He said a great many things to numerous individuals in attempt to repent...
And that includes the priest who he asked to visit him...
So it's truth...

When you respond in this way to a request for sources of information,
it just lets people know you have no reliable sources.

Why do you believe the story of Lavey's (alleged) deathbed "repentance"?
No one who was with him when he died has given any indication that this happened.
People who were not with him wouldn't know what said or didn't say.

If you have knowledge of a reliable source, disclose it.
If you don't, just reply "because I know" or "because it's true."
We'll understand.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am a one point up guy, Spirit over all. Though I appreciate the different view and all though I don't believe in any organized religion Anton La Vey is responsible for one of my favorite quotes. "It's a shame stupidity isn't painful" true story. "All that is seen is impermanent, all that is unseen is eternal" but, still interesting post, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

Love me some Satan!

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

a reply to: reldra

Even Anton realized this on his death bed as his last words cried out in anguish and lament over his efforts overcame his delusion...
His own teachings were most unimportant to him then... In fact he was feeling rather sorry for himself for what he had done...

Just like Darth Vader. And we all know what happened after his death. Someone will carry on with those same ideas.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I don't have much to say on this topic, read some articles and googled some things, just your basic understanding.
However, the question I have is regarding the "law" (if that is what it is?) which states "Do not kill any NON - HUMAN animals unless for food or attacked. "

Does that imply killing Human animals are okay? Because I can see some members of that church using this as a way to justify some pretty bad things, all groups have their more eccentric members, and this looks like a nice little loophole for those.
It also means that animal sacrifice, which is denied by the church I believe, can also be done under some guise of "feeding the soul" or some such manner.

Anyways, not judging (well, maybe a little), just curious

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Oh yes it does. "Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law."

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Ooooo ahhh ... that must be why he was called "the Lightbringer" ...

... Pretty.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

Oh yes it does. "Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law."

That's not Satanic; that's Thelemic.

Pretty sure you know that though.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

As I post this, this thread has gone 7 pages. I did read all the posts. The question which came to mind was: do all organized groups devolve into personality cults? That was my impression of the back-and-forth between some posters.

So google search produced this very instructive essay.

Satanism is Personality Cult
The title may seem misleading, since the author of the essay concludes the opposite.

1.2. Fundamentalism?
I would like to quickly add that I do not blindly follow LaVey because I do very much question and ponder over his text. I know there are places where I disagree with LaVey, and areas where I'm simply not sure. LaVey's text, like all the text of every human, contains errors, omissions, mistakes that are both conceptual and technical. Like all people, sometimes LaVey was just wrong. This is an undeniable truth which holds true for all people and all books. There is no fundamentalism in Satanism, certainly not in the way that some Muslims and Christians consider their texts to be infallible.

Those who follow blindly are attacked really quite scornfully within the Satanic community; people actively look for this weakness in their colleagues. Those who follow blindly are also attacked by the leaders themselves within Satanism! To follow blindly is a taboo, something that is dogmatically forbidden.

So I underlined what I would consider to be the Church's most important teaching. And I've never given the Church any real thought before your thread.

Thank you for the thread.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
LMAO! I think it could possibly be Papa E II... Now that he's retired, he's taken to these vast interwebz to preach the word of the Dark Lord! Hail Papa!

a reply to: JinMI

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join