It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What were the Church of Satan's most important teachings?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
There is another satanic church that presents these guidelines or tenets.

One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word

thesatanictemple.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

what you're doing is more along the lines of me talking about startrek in one of your jesus threads, completely unrelated topics.

have you ever even read levays writings or are you talking out of you rear end?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

why do most "songs" that your mob listen to have that growl - they sound like in need of a few codral or cepacol lozenges.

On a more serious note, I thought Satan meant the "adversary" in Hebrew. Are you sure your not following the Devil?

meh..have fun

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Hi, thanks for the reply, I genuinely do not know much about the CoS so was merely thinking out loud a bit. So the statement was aimed at debunking the general stereotype that all satanists are into animal sacrifice.
Does the book or other teachings actually provide said context ? Or is it assumed that those interested in the CoS will realize what the thought behind its laws are?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

what you're doing is more along the lines of me talking about startrek in one of your jesus threads, completely unrelated topics.

have you ever even read levays writings or are you talking out of you rear end?

How is it unrelated? That's like saying in a thread about Lex Luther we can't talk about Superman.

And the entire essence of Satanism is Hedonism, or Humanism, i.E. worship of self, feeding our carnal natures and the lusts thereof. By default and in that context, I have spent the majority of my life as a Satanist.

edit on 1-7-2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dmvr34

Hi, thanks for the reply, I genuinely do not know much about the CoS so was merely thinking out loud a bit. So the statement was aimed at debunking the general stereotype that all satanists are into animal sacrifice.
Does the book or other teachings actually provide said context ? Or is it assumed that those interested in the CoS will realize what the thought behind its laws are?

There's quite a bit of material in Anton's writing that clarifies this. While there are provisions for symbolic ritual sacrifice, the CoS explicitly prohibits the actual killing of humans and animals (unless it’s a matter of survival; food, self-defense).

#10 of the eleven “Satanic Rules of the Earth” –
“Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.”

That this extends to humans as well is implied by #7 of the nine “Satanic Statements” –
“Satan represents man as just another animal…”

Lastly, from the Chapter IX in the Satanic Bible –
“Under NO circumstances would a Satanist sacrifice any animal or baby!...There are sound and logical reasons why the Satanists could not perform such sacrifices. Man, the animal, is the godhead to the Satanist.”

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Thank you. This meaning of the cross was explained to me before, and I totally didn't get it.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: Annee

Thank you. This meaning of the cross was explained to me before, and I totally didn't get it.

As I see it, these symbols of ancient time come from basic people. The original probably a crude representative of something to do with Life, because everything was about Life. Food, procreation, etc. Even the Gods are practical symbols of Life, Sun, War, Weather, Love, etc. Why complicate it.

Unless, you believe in Ancient Astronauts - - - which I do, but don't really believe the Ankh symbol comes from anything other than simple representation of male/female.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

To help add to that I think this is a fair breakdown(also, see disclaimer on page), to compare and contrast to the Church of Satan's Rules;
Common beliefs of theistic (traditional) Satanists

Satan encourages freedom and self-knowledge. And, unlike some other spiritualities, most forms of Satanism are fully compatible with the desire for material success.

Most theistic Satanists believe that Satan does not dictate a system of morality (or anti-morality). Most believe -- at least for the most part -- that it is up to us to decide such matters for ourselves, both as individuals and as groups. (A group does need at least some agreed-upon rules for its members in order to function.)

Can't post it all- continued;

Others believe that Satan asks only that we know who we are and be true to ourselves.

It behooves us to act responsibly. We accept responsibility for all we do. We will choose our responsibilties ourselves and bear them willingly.

As public or semi-public Satanists, we are constrained by practical necessity to obey the laws of the land, though we may work for changes to laws with which we disagree.

More at Source

Thank you for elaborating, I am only passingly familiar with Satanism. The main point I think is that it is a very different thing, almost more of a philosophy than a faith in most cases.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Who cares? They're irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IlluminatiTechnician

I think 14 pages of dialogue proves your assertion incorrect.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: birdxofxprey

I find it odd that the CoS even has rules.

Satan is the antithesis of order and rules and is more correctly about violating order and rules.

They may call them statements, but I just noticed the word prohibited used in regards to real sacrifice.

I don't think Anton was any kind of honest. Or anyone worth learning from. He played dress up and chanted to a being he claimed didn't really exist.

The world has more to offer.
edit on 1-7-2016 by Wombocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

You do realize all you did was bump his thread and ensure it made the front page today?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

The location of the buildings' exits, obviously.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wombocracy

Satan is the antithesis of order and rules and is more correctly about violating order and rules.

They may call them statements, but I just noticed the word prohibited used in regards to real sacrifice.

I don't think Anton was any kind of honest. Or anyone worth learning from. He played dress up and chanted to a being he claimed didn't really exist.

LaVeyan Satanists don't actually believe in Satan. He adopted Satan as a symbolic figure. People may have trouble understanding that, but if you actually read the material it becomes glaringly obvious.

LaVeyan Satanism is about worshipping no god but the self. You are literally the God you worship, so it's about egoism. You can't just simply wake up one morning and say, "I'm the king of world!!" though. Anton LaVey encouraged people to find their strengths and exploit them to better themselves in life. Through applying LaVey's philosophy you could improve your own life and become successful in whatever road you go down, whether you're an artist, a sportsman, a politician, a programmer, and so forth.

The "symbol" they used represented adversity. Satanists consider themselves separate from the herd and mediocrity. In LaVey's case, his message of rebellion was aimed at Christianity, rejecting religious doctrine and encouraging people to embrace their human, "lowly" instincts.

Anton may have been a bit of a BS artist, but it doesn't bother me one way or another. His philosophy has helped me a lot, though I don't consider myself a Satanist. I just took his work into consideration.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I agree to some of that but I bow to no one

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wombocracy

That’s an interesting point. “Prohibited” was my word, and maybe not the most accurate word to use. The reason a Satanist wouldn’t sacrifice another is included in the quote, and it isn’t really a moral prohibition (as such things are usually understood). He doesn’t say a Satanist ought never do this. Rather; would never do this. This suggests, I think, that Satanism itself naturally leads a person away from such actions.

There are two kinds of rules or laws; laws of nature and laws made by people. The former are not subject to our control and we can’t opt out, but the latter are artificial and can always be changed. One consistent theme in Satanism is to acknowledge the laws of nature as they are rooted in us in the form of “instinct.” Since we can’t opt out of the laws of nature, and instincts are a product of those laws, we can’t opt out of instincts either. And, since we’re stuck with our instincts, we might as well make the most of them. So, desire, lust, greed, selfishness, etc. are not to be shunned.
This attitude, of course, is opposite many artificial customs and norms and rules. And insofar as we have norms that deny instinct, those norms should be denied. So yes, in that sense, Satanism rejects rules; arbitrary rules or rules that deny our “nature.”

The part of this that seems suspicious to me is that much of the writing (Gilmore, especially, not so much Lavey) employs a selective bias as to what desires arise from instinct and which are a product of socially constructed norms. For example, why claim that the desire for vengeance is an instinct, but the desire to forgive is not? Why say that greed is an instinct, but not charity? Why is self-interest considered an instinct but not empathy? There are no criteria that I’m aware of in Satanic literature which indicate how one is to distinguish between instinct and something else. That makes it difficult to implement the practice of cultivating and embracing instincts, unless we just take someone's word for it (which Satanists are encouraged not to do).

As far as Anton’s honesty, he was pretty open about the fact that he was an entertainer…

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I'm out, this is like showing card tricks to a dog.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

He did have a very honest side now that I recall the Opera interview. You got me there.

He probably had a very interesting life.

I would have loved to have hung out with Jane Mansfield.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The Real CoS If A Series Of "Damned If You Do... And Damned If You Don't!" Sequences...
Weights And Measures Which Ultimately Cast One Into The Hell Fires Of Strife... Perpetually Extorting One Of Life. It Is A Hell Fire So Wicked... It Putrefies A Mortal And Cast From Within Him All The Emotions That Make For A Decent And Moral Character.
There Are Ultimately Two Putrefactions Uttered Upon The End Of These Ordeals....
a) And It Hurts None... Do As You Will... (Better Person)
b) Do As You Will... For It Is The Whole Of The Law... (Bitter Person)

There Are Few Excuses In Hell Fire. You Either Will Or You Wont. Both Are Serious... Serious... Theatrics. Blood... Sweat... Tears... And Your Very Last Breath.. Are The Realities Of Such Fires.

But... If You Hold True To God... You May Yet Find The Life Giving Waters.

Water Douses Fire.... I Think. ????

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join