It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So sick of this praying garbage on twitter. Please STOP IT !

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

To the religious prayers are a bit like trees, some have practical uses, some are good for sustenence, some look good placed correctly. Point being the use of prayer is pretty diverse.

Prayer/meditation helps a lot of people, what you seemed pissed at is wishing well for Turkey and showing solidarity with Turkish people... I wonder how many actually are praying for Turkey, it seems more to me an expression.

Btw I don't pray but I know acts of ritual have power in them, something like smiling while on the phone.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Except Einstien wasn't talking about prayer.

Einstein's Wiki

He had some interesting ideas. I hate religious threads.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
All I see here in the OP is just another anti-religious thread. And we know why it was posted in the Rant section
Outta here before I start my own rant against this BS .
Playtime is OVER

This isn't an anti-religious thread, this is a pro-reality thread.

This is about how stupid and useless praying is. I'm not specifically attacking religions, although they are garbage, I am more attacking praying, because it is so stupid and ignorant and insulting to humanity and reality.

Also, for those who are religious out there, praying is an insult to your own god(s). You are basically saying they are not "all powerfull" because if they were, you wouldn't need to pray they would know what you are thinking.
edit on 28-6-2016 by DumpMaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Are you Onision?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

Are you Onision?

Wouldn't that be nice

No, but I do have a YT channel, not in this area though, although I think maybe I should.. seems like lots of money in it.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

All I see here in the OP is just another anti-religious thread. And we know why it was posted in the Rant section
Playtime is OVER

Then please explain why God is worth praying to? God is all knowing? He knows all? Why then does he let tragedies happen? Why would praying make these tragedies more barable?

Why would people get punished if they do not obay Gods rules? How is that different than a dictator, which the religious right wing, decided to get rid of in the middle east (Saddam/Gaddafi) in order to better humanity?

So a Dictator that says follow my rules or else is somehow different than a God that says follow my rules or else?

Religion is mind control for the masses made up by a wannabe dictator.

edit on 28-6-2016 by Orionx2 because: spelling

edit on 28-6-2016 by Orionx2 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

what do you see. You see #PrayForCity or #PrayForCountry - today is #PrayForTurkey

I'm with you on this. While I'm not on Twitter I am on the Facebook and see similar things. I find things like that as obnoxious as people who post photos of deformed children with a "Hit like to say Amen" things under them. Personally, I also can't stand the NFL spending who-knows-how-much-money on "pink stuff" to "raise awareness" about cancer which EVERYBODY knows about. Couldn't the money for pink gear be donated directly to the researchers trying to solve the puzzles?

Praying is one of the stupidest things a human can do.

And here's where you lose me. Fortunately I can save myself some time and was able to find an old thread in which I said basically everything I would have to say here.... Quoting myself.... (and I'm actually surprised at how little would have to be changed from my previous post to address yours)....

What I had previously posted....

"Personally, I can't stand hashtags in general. Same goes for all the generic "type amen" memes on social media.

That notwithstanding, why do you think that praying for victims/survivors of fill-in-the-blank and performing physical action are mutually exclusive? My parish is not alone in that whenever any catastrophe happens anywhere, whether it be an earthquake on another part of the globe or a house fire down the road, parishioners immediately begin to offer whatever aid they can. If geographically possible, people with the appropriate skills offer direct assistance. If not, people gather food, clothing and all other supplies/necessities to send to ravaged areas.

I would also like to point out that my parish is not alone in that the church provides a whole host of other services such as people volunteering to teach people how to speak/write/read English. There is also a food bank that people keep stocked all year long. In fall of each year, there are winter coat drives that directly help people not only in our community but people in surrounding areas as well. There are also regular blood drives hosted by the church (in our case in the school associated with the church for logistical reasons).

The church also provides what I would consider emergency services in some instances. Before our son was old enough to attend nursery school, my wife would take him to a play group at our local library. There, my wife befriended another mother. Almost like out of a movie, the woman started showing up with odd scratches and bruises that she would explain away... until she finally confided in my wife that her husband beats the stuffing out of her from time to time. She was too scared to run off to a relatives house because he could easily find her. As in many places across the nation, the shelters around here are (apparently) no place for a woman with a two year old son to be. My wife took her to our Parish Outreach office and they immediately took her and her son in and provided them with food and shelter until she was able to find a job and a decent place to stay. (For the record, this woman is not Catholic and nor did anyone try to convert her).

Quite frankly, I find that the church, in many cases, in many areas are often much better and more efficient at aiding those in need of help than governments and municipalities could ever dream of being.

You stating that "all religious people do is pray" shows that you are a bit ignorant regarding what religious people actually do. I would only suggest that you do a little research that goes beyond the fantastical headlines of the media."

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Okay, this just happened.

#PrayForTheWorld
7,482 Tweets

While this is better. If any bombing happens from here on out anywhere on earth from Terrorism.. it proves praying does nothing, or that whatever god they are praying to is a fraudster

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

what do you see. You see #PrayForCity or #PrayForCountry - today is #PrayForTurkey

I'm with you on this. While I'm not on Twitter I am on the Facebook and see similar things. I find things like that as obnoxious as people who post photos of deformed children with a "Hit like to say Amen" things under them. Personally, I also can't stand the NFL spending who-knows-how-much-money on "pink stuff" to "raise awareness" about cancer which EVERYBODY knows about. Couldn't the money for pink gear be donated directly to the researchers trying to solve the puzzles?

Praying is one of the stupidest things a human can do.

And here's where you lose me. Fortunately I can save myself some time and was able to find an old thread in which I said basically everything I would have to say here.... Quoting myself.... (and I'm actually surprised at how little would have to be changed from my previous post to address yours)....

What I had previously posted....

"Personally, I can't stand hashtags in general. Same goes for all the generic "type amen" memes on social media.

That notwithstanding, why do you think that praying for victims/survivors of fill-in-the-blank and performing physical action are mutually exclusive? My parish is not alone in that whenever any catastrophe happens anywhere, whether it be an earthquake on another part of the globe or a house fire down the road, parishioners immediately begin to offer whatever aid they can. If geographically possible, people with the appropriate skills offer direct assistance. If not, people gather food, clothing and all other supplies/necessities to send to ravaged areas.

I would also like to point out that my parish is not alone in that the church provides a whole host of other services such as people volunteering to teach people how to speak/write/read English. There is also a food bank that people keep stocked all year long. In fall of each year, there are winter coat drives that directly help people not only in our community but people in surrounding areas as well. There are also regular blood drives hosted by the church (in our case in the school associated with the church for logistical reasons).

The church also provides what I would consider emergency services in some instances. Before our son was old enough to attend nursery school, my wife would take him to a play group at our local library. There, my wife befriended another mother. Almost like out of a movie, the woman started showing up with odd scratches and bruises that she would explain away... until she finally confided in my wife that her husband beats the stuffing out of her from time to time. She was too scared to run off to a relatives house because he could easily find her. As in many places across the nation, the shelters around here are (apparently) no place for a woman with a two year old son to be. My wife took her to our Parish Outreach office and they immediately took her and her son in and provided them with food and shelter until she was able to find a job and a decent place to stay. (For the record, this woman is not Catholic and nor did anyone try to convert her).

Quite frankly, I find that the church, in many cases, in many areas are often much better and more efficient at aiding those in need of help than governments and municipalities could ever dream of being.

You stating that "all religious people do is pray" shows that you are a bit ignorant regarding what religious people actually do. I would only suggest that you do a little research that goes beyond the fantastical headlines of the media."

"Quite frankly, I find that the church, in many cases, in many areas are often much better and more efficient at aiding those in need of help than governments and municipalities could ever dream of being."

That is not the church helping people, it is the people helping people. The church does nothing but collect money and hoard it while people suffer.

"You stating that "all religious people do is pray" shows that you are a bit ignorant regarding what religious people actually do. I would only suggest that you do a little research that goes beyond the fantastical headlines of the media."

I have no problem with religious people actually doing something, that is good. Sitting there and praying and doing nothing and then going on to the next day is a waste of everything. Doing something is good. Praying is not good, it is the lack of doing something. It is doing nothing.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Another example of praying.

Recently 2 parents let their kid die. Instead of calling a doctor or getting help, they prayed for an hour.

After that hour, they invited 20 more people over to all pray for another hour to help the kid. The kid was dead.

The parents were charged with murder.

22 people praying to help 1 kid failed when 1 person making 1 phone call would have saved his life.

Praying = doing nothing
Making a phone call = doing something.

Doing something is always better than doing nothing.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2
Let me get this over ASAP
Do you offer prayer or condolences to the victims and their families in the latest current events ? If , not why bother ? Just because you do not like it , the survivors and families may. Whats your problem ? You dont have to read about it until you get yourself worked into an anti-religious fervor. Just "turn the page" and "forget about it"

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

I would hate living with constant fear of a God which is jealous, demanding and punitive.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

I would hate living with constant fear of a God which is jealous, demanding and punitive.

So would I...

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Playtime is OVER

I'd have to agree. This is nothing more than a thread bashing the beliefs of others.

First of all, the OP lumps together EVERY form of prayer, and EVERY person who prays, and calls them idiots, and stupid. Secondly, the OP, without ANY understanding at all of how prayer works, makes a thread saying prayer doesn't work. Third, the OP is getting mad about what people post on twitter. That alone should tell you everything you need to know about the OP.

Who on Earth actually has the time to sit and read twitter stuff, let alone to actually let it affect their emotions. Our thoughts and emotions are literally two of the most important aspects of our lives. Our thoughts and our emotions literally create our reality, and this person is letting one people post on twitter actually have such an affect on his reality.

OP, you say that prayer is stupid, because the people praying should be doing something ELSE to stop terrorism. Let me ask you, what have you done to stop terrorism? I'll wait while you respond. The average person doesn't have the ability to stop an entire bombing/terrorist attack, so you getting your panties all twisted because they decide to send their prayers, is beyond stupid.

Also, since when is prayer about having an effect? You obviously know NOTHING about prayer, and the power behind it. Prayer has NEVER been about achieving a desired outcome, and if you'd ever actually taken the time to learn about what prayer is, why it exists, and how it helps mankind, you'd know that.

Since you are obviously have a bias about religion and prayer, I'm not going to waste my time explaining prayer..but will tell you what should have been obvious to you before you made this thread: Prayer isn't about a desired outcome, it is an activity that opens ones heart, and when one speaks to one's higher power, there are dozens of benefits for the individual praying, people within their circle, and the world. If you actually wish to open your mind, perhaps you can read up prayer in your own time someday.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

You don't need to be a part of a religion to pray.

God and I don't need a middleman.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: supermarket2012
If I touch a hot stove eye and burn my hand , do I keep going back doing it again ? Hades no. That was a very unpleasant experience . If I dont like something I go away. Period. Would you expect me to start a Rant about touching your hand to that hot stove eye and declaring that ovens have to be eliminated ? I would hope you dont , as I never would..
Some folks though have to have their own windmills in life to joust.In doing so , it becomes their religion.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

That is not the church helping people, it is the people helping people. The church does nothing but collect money and hoard it while people suffer.

Based on what I already described, while it is "people helping people" I have to ask.... what was the hub? What is the mechanism that facilitates this "help?" It's not the government, is it? It's not random group of people, is it? Nope. The specific thing I was talking about was people of specific parishes. I would also like to clarify (although I'm not sure why it needs further clarification) that the Church gets NOTHING when people donate food, donate time, donate skills or donate money/supplies for a specific drive.

If you want to discuss the treasures within the Vatican.... we can talk about that.

I have no problem with religious people actually doing something, that is good.

Apparently, you don't mind religious people doing something, as long as that "something" is NOT praying.

Sitting there and praying and doing nothing and then going on to the next day is a waste of everything. Doing something is good. Praying is not good, it is the lack of doing something. It is doing nothing.

I really, sincerely, hope you shut me down in your response to this question...

What, exactly, specifically, have YOU done to help the victims and surviving family members of todays terrorist attack or any previous attack? Clearly you are quick to condemn those that offer prayers. Is THAT your contribution? Have you done ANYTHING to help?

I can tell you that my Parish has done NOTHING but offer prayers YET. However, over the past few hours the e-mails and texts have been circulating to try to find out what is the most helpful thing we can do and when we find out what that is... we'll try to figure out how to provide that help. If you have any suggestions... I'll pass it along.

If you have done nothing and are bashing others.... maybe it's time to look inwards.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

You don't need to be a part of a religion to pray.

God and I don't need a middleman.

Quoting for emphasis.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I assume in your perfect world there is no God, praying is talking to the atmosphere that you occupy. No afterlife, no need to be moral, no need for anything but self service ? Nothing beyond you own personal desires. and punishment for all those fools who do believe in a God ?

Of course this thread will quickly all into oblivion, being as worthless to us as prayer or everyone who prays is to you. I guess I would say yours is a destination with no hope beyond the now. Perhaps it is faith that you abhor, because that is what prayer is. And in the perfect world, we are all simply organisms ? nothing more, products of a primordial stew ?

I prefer the belief in my God, my faith and my prayers to Him..... as much as life. You are also entitled to believe as you have made abundantly clear. And to profess otherwise... well, it's not time for you.... perhaps it never will be "Let your yes be YES and let your no be No".

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Difference is you do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join