It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will never grow a thicker skin, so just stop telling me to.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

If the OP thought anything I've ever said was "hostile" then I am absolutely certain she needs to grow a thicker skin.

Gotta tell you Mother - I can kinda see it. But to be fair, people take what I'm saying wrong all the time...every which way. You and I sometimes have a similar tone

Back to the OP - you may be of the opinion that she needs to grow a thicker skin - but that completely misses what she's saying

She's pretty much saying stuff it

This thread is so interesting - how not thick skinned are the people saying she needs to get a thicker skin

I don't intend to speak for geezlouise, but - if this were a serious subject instead of an excuse for people to pile on and double down on the whole snowflake/SJW meme (which - god - is this not just too lame yet?) what I would say is:

Sensitive people that will not shut up about what they think is wrong? They change society - they change the world

That covers a lot of territory, and of course - at a certain shallow, trivial level that can be annoying. I see it here all the time - even in this thread, but interestingly it's a kind of irony here - isn't it? :-)

Writers, poets, artists, songwriters, activists, lawyers, politicians - and ordinary people in our day to day lives

How funny is it that a certain segment of society is just so annoyed by all this that they completely and seriously want to shut them up?

Don't you think maybe those people who are so annoyed should just get a thicker skin?

:-)

edit on 7/1/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

I think society would collapse if everyone adopted your approach to emotions.

If you haven't noticed - society is collapsing

It happens - from time to time. It's necessary - it's how we grow

Whining and philosophizing are maybe things that are defined by the audience - don't you think?

Sometimes stoicism is a virtue. Sometimes
edit on 7/1/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

Sorry - this didn't show up in my replies Chuckles

Just for you:

:-)

You're pretty funny - you know that?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Oh no.. you incorrigible rebel..

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Another aspect of this thread that has not really been examined is this: while everyone should have the prerogative and freedom to participate in discussions they feel inclined to take part in, you need to be smart about which topics to avoid discussing. Especially to those with which your emotional connection is so strong that you cannot discuss objectively and rationally the topic at hand. I'm not saying emotions are bad, after all they are what makes us human, but utilising them through emotional reasoning when attempting to discuss a topic intellectually is highly problematic.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

because the abuse is just going to continue and no one wants to hear about how much it can hurt.

Actually, people say "grow a thicker skin" because being offended by something is completely subjective.

If we made being offended the basis for retaliation, there wouldn't be a human race left.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This is being in the world but not of the world, choosing to treat others as you would like to be treated even if the world becomes cold-hearted.

Being sensitive in a world that justifies bullying by saying things like "Man up!" and "Grow thicker skin!" takes a lot of strength and courage, many people are scared to keep their Hearts opened.

People say "Kindness is a weakness" and "Being sensitive makes you weak", but if it were so easy that even the weak could do it, then everyone would be empathic and kind.

I believe that the world is waking up, though

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

i hate the epxression(s) anythign with the world normal in it

its not normal to do that
why cant you be nromal like the rest

which fits nicely with this comment your made.

It is encouraging people to literally bend over and "take it" without complaint

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Yes I agree with you.

That's the kind of irony I wanted to point out in the thread responses.

I'm glad there's more and more people waking up to this same common sense.

a reply to: lSkrewloosel

OH MY GOD that one gets under my skin too because clearly I'll never be normal.

Another one that really gets my goat is, "you're just imagining it," whenever I make a thoughtful observation.

It also goes along with "why can't you be normal." Because for some reason it's not normal to talk about the things I talk about, which includes the "imaginary" observations that I tend to make. But when people say I am maybe imagining things, they also almost never fail to offer me a new perspective. THEIR perspective. Usually one where I'm the mentally deranged or emotionally broken abused person that needs to grow a thicker skin.

Omg all these evil dumb annoying expressions are merging into one giant a-hole!!!

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join