It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will never grow a thicker skin, so just stop telling me to.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

The same thing has happened to me countless times as well. In person and online, both. And it hurts my heart to know I'm not alone in the struggle. I so often feel like I have nowhere left to turn... so I turn myself inside out and become transparent to the public and in part subject myself to public judgement and criticism and abuse, lol... but I've got nothing left to lose. Also YOLO. And if I get real uncomfortable, I just retreat and re-charge...

Thank you for the positive reinforcements, I love you so much right now.

a reply to: redhorse

I know that it's hard for some people when I express my emotions, and I truly don't mean to offend anyone... but oh my god I love you and I'm not afraid of loving random strangers in the moment and I want to be your friend forever.
edit on 28-6-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

For once I sense no hostility from you whatsoever and you actually added perspective to my post. I thank you for that and I agree with you in regards to education 100%!

Dear BigBrotherDarkness & DBCowboy,

I LOLed. Thank you guys so much!

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

For once I sense no hostility from you whatsoever...

WTH?

I remember when you first joined this site and I personally messaged you tell you how brave you were to share your story and criticized the mods for pulling your first post down.

Since then, I think I've responded to you one other time, and it was also supportive.

GEEZ, Louise...now I know why you adopted this moniker.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise
a reply to: ksiezyc

I know that it's hard for some people when I express my emotions, and I truly don't mean to offend anyone... but oh my god I love you and I'm not afraid of loving random strangers in the moment and I want to be your friend forever.

Thank you. I think you are very kind, and you shouldn't have to change to accommodate people that aren't. I wish we lived in a gentler world and that I was still kind too.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

I don't see the irony.

Removing yourself from an abusive situation (telling someone to kick rocks, or f-ck themselves aka "go away") is much kinder, and smarter, than subjecting yourself to further abuse or telling someone else to subject themselves to further abuse.

And just for fun? Masturbation is also much kinder than subjecting yourself to further abuse.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

One lifetime? No wonder... happy trails cowboy.

P.S. I'm not your huckleberry.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

lol. Thank you for being supportive! And sorry for misunderstanding. Text is hard to read sometimes, yeah?

a reply to: redhorse

You've been kind to me tonight, and I think you are so beautiful. TY again.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The obtuseness is not seeing the difference between a transactional exchange and an emotional one.

You are missing the analogy and focusing only upon the technicalities that don't fit the premise.

"Your love could not possibly be 'like a red, red rose' because love is an emotion and roses are plants!!"
edit on 28-6-2016 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
You are missing the analogy and focusing only upon the technicalities that don't fit the premise.

The analogy is a poor one and a person who is reluctant to correct a dinner order does not need to get thicker skin, they need to grow some balls.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise
Hah you know I was thinking the same thing of you. I truly believe you're an amazing person and it delights my heart to see such people as yourself, but also saddened to see you and others struggling. Do not be saddened that you are not alone in this struggle, but rather find comfort in that people in similar struggles may support each other. Do not reveal yourself too much. Or well do as you will, but do take care alright? Never take things too personally, don't take them seriously. You're amazing, and never doubt that.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

The world is always better with laughter... some people like to be dominated wink wink those that try to act dominate in public tend to like being ridden so I hope youve got a strap on for him... if he wants to get that serious about bossing you around.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Metallicus

This either or thing is just obtuse. Like you, some may find it easy to just toughen up but not every one is like that.
And who is to say what does and what does not matter? Some social darwinist who knows exactly what each and every person should be like? Some of us live in a world that is just not that simple.

Choose to be hurt or offended then. It isn't my problem.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Honestly, people give too much validity to their emotions.

Logic and reason are your friend.
edit on 2016/6/28 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Sometimes showoffs like to do a song and a dance and well idiots simply want to pull strings, which is a good idea because toxic shock syndrome is a real thing.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The odd thing is... when people are telling me to "grow a thicker skin," it's often because they themselves have been utterly offended by my complaint or my expressed hurt feelings about a matter.

Then telling me to grow a thicker skin is just their way of complaining... so it's kind of hypocritical a lot of the time. I think that's important to note and something we should all understand and take away tonight.

lol.

And I agree with you generally.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

wink wink, lol.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Mostly when people advise you to get a thicker skin, they are not saying to bend over and take it. They are telling you that you cannot control other people, only yourself.

If others hurt you and insult you, the only thing you can control about the whole mess is how you respond to it. You can let it emotionally devastate you and ruin your life, and particularly when we are talking about the internet where you are unlikely to directly and actually know anyone, this is pretty foolish.

Miserable people are going to be miserable people, and they often get their kicks out of kicking others. Once you get that, you can start the process of learning how to let it roll off your back. Most of what takes place on this and other forums is so much empty posturing back and forth with people trying to mostly intimidate others into or off of their stated positions through nastiness.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
You dont have to "grow a thicker skin" of course, thats your choice.

But know that nice folks will respect when they are digging a bit hard and move back..not so nice people wont. and when those type see they are having a visible effect on your stability, they smile and claim victory.

This is one big issue with todays youth for some reason. they are seemingly demanding to become bully meat, then become super upset when they get bullied..like somehow laws should be passed to defend them from conflict and jerks or something. It will never happen, so what is the final result?

Stop encouraging jerks..seriously...grow a thicker skin..or not..your choice. I will never dig into you, but the person behind me takes great joy in just that.

Add: I just used the term "todays youth" non ironically. I think 2 more infractions and I am issued a over the hill card.

edit on 28-6-2016 by SaturnFX because: durned kids on my lawn

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
'Grow a thicker skin' Is in the same umbrella of terms that is designed to shut down arguements. There's a different one for every arguement. 'why are you so special' is one I can think of at the top of my head And a number of other obnoxious phrases nihilists, cynics, and sociopaths use to shut people up. If it's rude irritating and in general leaves no opening for you to give any meaningful reply it's a 'shut up i'm right' Phrase. 'Grow a thicker skin' Is as you said used to undermine anyone's complaints to prettymuch anything at all.

Also a point you had about the phrase is, it basically tells you to suffer in silence for perceived 'weakness', In reality they don't want other people's griping to pop their stupid little 'Happy sunshine bubble' of ignorance. It's like the phrase 'You should be more positive!' It doesn't sound like a shut down. But it is. More subtle but what it basically says in the disguise of caring for your well being is. 'Your negativity is unpleasant shut up kindly'.

P.S:I'm a very negative person. So the 'you should be more positive!' Phrase agitates me off especially strongly
edit on 28-6-2016 by Brokenmirrorpng because: More stuff

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Brokenmirrorpng

Yes and thank you. I understand you and I so appreciate your post.

I think when things are bad we should just be able to say that they are bad. No matter what. And in the end, it is strong to be able to stand up and say... HEY, THAT FUGGING HURTS, STOP IT. And then remove the hurt from your immediate environment.

That's what my thin skin disposition tends to lead me to do. I would rather be alone than subject myself to further abuse.

So I want everyone to know that I'm not saying I'm weak because I refuse to grow a thicker skin... I'm just sayin I want a better life for myself. And a better environment. And I will work for it. I will accept change for it. I will explore unfamiliar territory if that's what it takes. I will leave the cave, think outside of the box, use my brain, troll life back if it's going to troll me, and then come back and get everyone's panties all in a bunch over the wild otherworldly things I have to say.

And that's that. Yep.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join