It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Porton Down, UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
As a long time watcher of all things Area 51, I often wondered if the UK had an equivalent.

While it certainly doesn't seem to have the mythology of its Nevada sister, Porton Down certainly his its importance. It was the location that CS gas was invented. They're now researching a device that can detect gravity fluctuations and are the world leaders in technology for the detection of dirty bombs.

The BBC have written a great article on the site and have a follow up documentary tonight on BBC4. Thought you'd appreciate a heads up!

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: barwars47

The BBC have written a great article? I can't believe that.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Let's hope more information about past activities comes to light.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

They attacked my people with poison.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I believe Porton Down to be one of the uniquely evil places on the planet. Truly a sick place: Human experimentation; animal experimentation; weaponizing diseases and biological warfare techniques...

Sick place.

I will watch the doc for sure, thanks.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Parliamentary question on Porton Down 2014. Something must be afoot. The endless struggle between funding and common sense perhaps.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

More similarity to Dugway than Groom.

I thought Boscombe Down was the UK Groom Lake.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

I believe Porton Down to be one of the uniquely evil places on the planet. Truly a sick place: Human experimentation; animal experimentation; weaponizing diseases and biological warfare techniques...

Sick place.

I will watch the doc for sure, thanks.

Google "Dugway Proving Ground" and "Deseret Chemical Depot"
The US were/are doing the same stuff.
edit on 28-6-2016 by FosterVS because: Ground not Grounds

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This is where the uk gov grow all the weed for big pharma just so you know

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

And the govt approved weed for GCHQ staff? Probably also used to develop the psycho green smack weed that stopped the Glasto kids from voting.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up...this looks like some very interesting stuff!

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
They have been up to some doggy stuff.

Check out this video on Vimeo about Project Coast and Dr Death.

vimeo.com...
edit on 28-6-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

Yep, Dugway in Utah right? I remember when they were calling it the "new Area 51" some years ago.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I have no doubts there is some nasty stuff going on there and the bad outweighs the good (anthrax sarin etc) but there are people alive today because of the work and research that has gone on there.

I'm not sure if this says more about my humour than anything else but they went through a period of testing body armour by putting it on pigs that were then shot and blown up. It was called operation danish bacon.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Technically Michael AAF.

There is a free territory ridge where you can view the base. I haven't done this myself. Actually it isn't even on the bucket list. ;-)

They do fly UAVs out there. I caught the Lockheed shuttle going there once. But I don't think there is much going on there.

The thing with Groom is it is nearby California where the contractors are based.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I've worked for DSTL and spent lots of time at both Porton and Boscombe Down.

Gariac is correct, Porton is more like Dugway (or vice versa as we were doing it first :-) and Boscombe is our flight test centre.

Of all the high security sites I've worked in the across the UK, (pretty much all of them), Porton has the highest security. What was developed there was in some minds evil, and some of the methods used in testing would be considered unethical today. However, most of the research conducted at Porton is for purely defensive means, CBRN suits and detection systems for instance. The health protection agency have a facility there too, this is where major outbreak research and planning is conducted, in conjunction with the HPA CDSC which is actually based at a hospital.

It's not where all of the 'weed' is grown for big pharma, that's done at various other sites in the UK, including several civilian sites ran by DEFRA.

Porton has a dark history, but it's a place of great science and great scientists today and is a key UK Strategic Asset.

Boscombe is very interesting! RAF Waddington is very interesting at the moment too! ;-)

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws

I'm thinking you probably can't reveal too much but why is Waddington interesting at the mo? I am thinking more automated than piloted - would i be on the right lines?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Hi Flavian,

There is a lot of automated stuff at Waddo yes.

Cheers
Robbie

new topics

top topics

join