It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Organic Micro Machines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
A team of scientists at the University of California (America) have created microscopic machines that are powered by living tissue. Scientists created these 'organic machines' by growing cells from rats onto microscopic silicon chips. The tiny machines are able to propel themselves along without any external force using only their organic components.

news.bbc.co.uk
Tiny robots powered by living muscle have been created by scientists at the University of California, Los Angeles.

The devices were formed by "growing" rat cells on microscopic silicon chips, the researchers report in the journal Nature Materials.

Less than a millimetre long, the miniscule robots can move themselves without any external source of power.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This in my opinion is truely amazing, a combination of both machine and nature, creating a new techo-organic creature.
The possiblities for such organic machines have amazing potential in medical care and productive industry.
Sadly such machines also have great potential as military machines, silent killers able to enter the body in small numbers and hide from autopsy after the deadly deed has been done.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Fascinating, Wizard. I wonder if any of the naturally-occurring mineral inclusions in animals (squid beaks, hematite granules, etc.) have hidden processing power? Could this man-made process have occured in nature in the beginning, with organic life arising as a result of organization by silicon?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This is pretty astounding stuff, to be sure. What's next, People for the Ethical Treatment of Robots (PETR), Robot-human marriage, robot foster parents and adoptive parents, voting rights?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This my friends is the first actual step towards Molecular Manufacturing. The next industrial revolution will probably be marked as beginning with this breakthrough. Even with all the perils of nanotechnology, there are untold of advantages of this technology. We could finally be able to cure most diseases if not all of them. Aging will become a thing of the past and Private Spaceflight for the masses will become a commodity much like the Aerospace Industry is today. Some of the first products that will be labeled Nanotech will have nothing to do with "Self Assembly" but they will be more down to earth. Things like Shaver Blades that never need replacing. Solar Voltaic Paint(which was just announced with a whopping 32% effiency) and Silent Windturbines. Robotics will of course be the most visable beneficiary in the near term(right now actually I believe it was Toyota that was planning on going on a Bot hiring spree). These products are just the begining of an exciting and frightening ride folks and NO country will be left untouched. Beware the hypesters and scaremongers, they both have agenda's that are probably very selfish in nature. BTW I am only looking on "The Bright Side" as there is a significant "Dark sinister side" to this technology. I advise everyone who is interested in Nanotechnology to read this book.

Engines of Creation

Pay particular attention to this chapter as it hilights the various dark sides of this technology.

Engines of Destruction(Chapter 11)

[edit on 17-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Even with all the perils of nanotechnology

Interesting you should say that:

Nanotech guru turns back on 'goo'

The scientist many regard as the father of nanotechnology has backed away from his famous claim that nanomachines could turn the planet into "grey goo".

Looks like nanotech isn't the planet killer many people thought it could be, although nanotech is to be respected and used wisely, in the hands of the general public it could cause mass damage is misused.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm a Drexlerite when it comes to Nanotech and I am well aware of his stated position at this time. Even though I greatly respect the man, I believe it is a foolhardy move by him to reject the "Grey Goo" Scenario as it is technically feasable. I have read all the arguments for and against, and not one person has said it is forbidden by the laws of Physics(or in this case Quantum Physics). My argument will be alway this, WE do not know what the current limits of Molecular Manufacturing because as of yet we have not developed a working Nano-Factory. I for one believe the "Grey Goo" scenario is not that plausible, but to say its impossible or not a threat because one person said so is foolhardy at best and it gives the Neo-Luddites more ammo for thier cannons. Rage Against the Machine is already stirring up the fear. Emotions either very positive or very negative only serve to distract us in what needs to be done. You are right when you said we have to respect this technology immensely as I believe it can be even more powerfull than Atomic weapons, in the long run of course.

In the near term, all we really have to worry about are Tech. Protests and dumping of Nanoparticles into the environment. I am trying to be neutral in this issue as I believe at this point anything is possible. If one wants to draw parrelels with other tech sectors, you could easily compare the Biotech sector in the 80s with the Nanotech sector now. It will take as long(if not longer) to truely master the basics, then we can start talking about the really big downsides of the technology.

So basically what I'm rambling about is that we should't count anything out as the dice are still tumbling. One thing is for sure though, I WANT MY REPLICATOR

[edit on 17-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Finally we get to have those Flinstone cars and be free from our oiladdiction

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Great find UKwizard. Thanks.

...and everyone's read Michael Chrichton's "Prey," right? Not that it was such a great book but he does have a way of synopsizing issues well for the masses.

I'm not a Luddite but - do not want this stuff in the hands of people working solely for profit, or power. Too dangerous, too many emotionally/socially/morally disabled.

top topics

join