It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pitbulls kills 3 day old baby

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I can appreciate what you are trying to do Zaph, but I think a topic like this shows that dispelling ignorance is, largely, an entirely futile effort.

Like most situations, the problem is deeper than just the surface "solutions" and rhetoric. But, focusing on the breed allows people an easy target to fight against.

Pit bulls are just another in a long line of demonization. People might move on eventually, as they have continually in the past, but the power of media is greater than ever.

You'd think that people would listen to those with vast experience with canines, who will all say the same thing on this topic, but that is simply not the case. Its also hard not to note the overarcing unified beliefs outside of just pro-BSL thinking.

Its difficult to say what the solution really is, but I would bet that if properly addressed, the positive ramifications would go far, far, far beyond the singular topic of "dog attacks." That's the real monster we face.
edit on 28-6-2016 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
As a pit bull owner and have had two in the past, I will tell you that it is the way you raise your dog. I have seen golden retrievers that were more aggressive than any pit bull I have ever owned. I have seen poodles that are more aggressive, saying that all pit bulls are dangerous is the racist version of hating dogs. My pit is 13 years old, been around countless kids and I never had any problems with him. So blame the person who raised the dog and not the dog.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Screw it, just go on hating Pitbulls until we just destroy them all. Which breed are you going to go after next?

Who hates pitbulls? I do not want to see them destroyed. They just need better breeding practices, better training practices- for some, as some are trained and socialized perfectly and still 'go bad'.

I have been bitten twice by dogs. One bite was minor, a Shiatazu. One was a rottweiller, that was a serious bite. Have the scar visible on my wrist to thisn day, a large vein was HANGING OUT of my wrist. I don't think either should be destroyed.

Even for the serious bite, I begged my mother to not have the dog reported. I was 12. It was a dog in a home I had babysitted in. At the time I was at the neighbors and put my hand over the fence to pet it. My bad.

The owners paid for the ER visit. The owners provided my mother with a recent rabbies vaccination. At the hospital we simply refused to name the dog. I might get a pic up of the scar, it is from a front long tooth.

Pitbulls should NOT be around babies. PERIOD. Even if people provide anecdotal stories of how protective and cute they are. There are several other breeds that shouldn;t be either. Newborns should not be that close to ANY animals, though, eventually, they have to be introduced if an amimal is in the house.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
As a pit bull owner and have had two in the past, I will tell you that it is the way you raise your dog. I have seen golden retrievers that were more aggressive than any pit bull I have ever owned. I have seen poodles that are more aggressive, saying that all pit bulls are dangerous is the racist version of hating dogs. My pit is 13 years old, been around countless kids and I never had any problems with him. So blame the person who raised the dog and not the dog.

No one says ALL. You must read back through the posts. The statistics have been given.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I didn't get what I have posted from the media.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Depending on the year or years in the research. Pitbulls and Pitbull mixes generally make up 59%-70% of all dog attack related deaths. You can google that and you'll see that most years it falls in that range. You'll have a few outlier years where Pitbulls are responsible for less deaths but it's still a significant percentage.

I liken them to wolves. I love wolves, but would never have one as a pet or around my children. I love bears as well. Love them. But would never have a bear as a pet or around my children. Common sense people. Common sense.

Yes, I have posted the stats and caselaw that shows a dog owner of average intelligence can identify a pit bull.
edit on 28-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
How do they know... honestly...

I have a dog a lot of people insist on calling a pitbull..(I dont know found him when he was 8 weeks old or so).. Yet he also resembles a doberman, chocolate lab, Weirmar runner,boxer... etc... Unless you know the parents 90% of the id'd "pitbulls" could be any number of cross breeds.

I have gone to 3 different vets, taken him across the atlantic to a country that forbids the importation of pitbulls... never had a problem. Asked the vets any ideas and they had no clue.

So many dogs are classified as Pit's because they are muscular and short haired... Ive been seeing a lot of stories of families or people having to move because their service dog was going to be put down by the city because some bureaucrat called it a pitbull.

Zero tolerance laws are stupid when applied to people... and when applied to animals.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Your post is anecdotal. I have posted caselaw(scroll back), the courts agree that a dog owner of average intelligence can identify a pitbull.

Again, the dog in this OP is apparently mixed with Shar Pei. But, in fact looks exactly like a pit bull. It has the characteristics and strength of a pit bull and not a Shar Pei.

I don't like zero tolerance laws either. If a municipality simply bans pit bulls for any person, that is ridiculous.

The breed does cause the most fatalities in humans. (previously posted) I am not sure of the solution. Possibly a special license and proof of extra training. I am against the license costing more than any other dog license, though, that would just be a money grab.

In your case, if no one knows and the dog has caused no problems, just call it a chocolate lab or a lab mix or a dobie mix... and have it on the license.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
When my son was born, they asked at the hospital if we had animals and I said yes, so they told me to take his little hat that had his sent on it for the dog to smell and get use to. I think that was a great idea and when we brought my son home the next day it was like the dog already knew who he was, and knew it was his job to protect him. He was not left alone with the dog because sometimes you just never know. but from the age of two my son and dog were best friends. Also a pit bull will put up with a two year old better than a lot of so called friendly dogs.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

No one says ALL. You must read back through the posts. The statistics have been given.

Sorry that was just a general statement I should have said that a lot of uneducated people who think that they are all viscous killers.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

Dogs actually do bite people without being trained to do so...it happens every day, for many reasons. The most common is fear or pain. Even the most gentle dog may bite or even attack a human when in severe pain or extreme fight-or-flight response mode. Thousands of dogs are destroyed at kill shelters every week because they bit someone out of fear or because they were sick or injured.

Bottom line is, all dogs have the propensity to bite. No one should ever assume that their dog will not bite. I and every other rescuer I know have learned that the hard way. And every incident was completely due to human error, too.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yet another Hit and run post by the OP to stir up controversy, nice MO

As to the post, up until the last few years, I have EXCLUSIVELY owned only pitbulls, from pup to grave, and I have never ever ever had an aggressive dog to either children, other people, or other animals.

There arent bad dogs, just bad owners.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You are absolutely correct. And pitbulls are the first to die in kill shelters. Millions of healthy dogs have been slaughtered because they were incorrectly identified as a pitbull. What we do here is go though the shelter bios on the dogs and alert them to misidentifications. It's the best we can do, and a lot still die, but we've saved thousands. I wish we could save them all.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Sorry that was just a general statement I should have said that a lot of uneducated people who think that they are all viscous killers.

Np. I am not meaning to say that.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
These were not pure pits, you read that, right?

This is an absolute tragedy, but there sure is a lot of information missing from the story.

Who cares.

The facts are clear, if the dog has been bred in the past SPECIFICALLY to kill and fight to the death why are we allowing any of these breeds as household pets that CLEARLY things go wrong with all the time.

People do not seem to realize that they are using them as protection and lie to themselves about the real reasons they need protection from other bad people.

EVERYONE who owns any of these type of dogs should be asked the question, does your dog look dangerous ???

That is why they like these breeds, they are AFRAID deep down of a lot of things and the lifestyle's they lead....they try and turn it into a loving, caring, compassionate animal, and yet they are about as friendly as a bear...when just about ANYTHING goes down.

Every one of those breeds has been bred for war and killing, and we have these geniuses all claiming they are great dogs oh so full of love.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc
a reply to: CB328

Heh, calls pit bulls monster for killing one person. What about the monsters that are humans. If the owners had any sense this wouldn't have happened. Blame the owners, not the dog.

But we CAN'T blame the owners EVER, because all of them claim the dogs "never bite"!

And so on....the whole dam society is retarded and claims that only humans make the dogs aggressive.

It is time the owners of any vicious super strong dogs get a taste of reality....and realize the breeds they are trying to make into lovers, are instead full of HATE just dying to be released.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Depending on the year or years in the research. Pitbulls and Pitbull mixes generally make up 59%-70% of all dog attack related deaths. You can google that and you'll see that most years it falls in that range. You'll have a few outlier years where Pitbulls are responsible for less deaths but it's still a significant percentage.

I liken them to wolves. I love wolves, but would never have one as a pet or around my children. I love bears as well. Love them. But would never have a bear as a pet or around my children. Common sense people. Common sense.

Yes, I have posted the stats and caselaw that shows a dog owner of average intelligence can identify a pit bull.

I missed your position. Sorry. Do you believe Pitbulls are dangerous to have as pets?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Im not so sure about the breeding part. Both of my dogs were rescued as puppies.
My bluenose female was the daughter of a champion fighter dog who was kept in a cage and fed live chickens and rabbits. He belonged to some ghetto family that didnt allow him out except for fights. My daughters friend bought her as a little puppy and gave her to me, because he couldnt keep her in his appartment. She is very careful with children. She is feminine, affectionate, but also aloof at times. Everyone loves her.
The male is a very large fawn colored, muscle popping, aggressive lover. He is overly affectionate. He lived in a drug house that was raided. His parents were both shot dead in front of him during the bust, but since he was tiny, the police ignored him, and he ran out the door. He is afraid of gunshots and firecrackers to this day. My only concern with him is that he might accidently knock a child over when he plays. Ive been bitten twice by others dogs. once by a weenie dog LOL, and once by a German shepherd. My female pitt was pulling me on rollerblades and a german shepherd ran up and was trying to hump her. I commanded her to not attack, and she complied, until I reached down to get the german shepherd off her, and he bit me. She saw that and she spun and took a chunk out of his side and and snapped just barely missing his throat. I had gloves on and wasnt wounded too bad, but the nasty male dog ran off with a chunk missing. His master was 50 feet away profusely appologizing to me. I called out to him " Its ok bro, no harm done!" Then I told my pitt, come on Baby, lets get out of here!

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I work in veterinary medicine and I can tell you Pitbulls aren't the problem the owners and the reputation are. They're an aggressive breed but it doesn't mean they're destined to be violent. The problem is the reputation and type of people who tend to get them based off that are assholes who perpetuate the cycle. I have a female pitbull I took control early of from my junkie brother and it's friendly with everybody, if another dog #s with it it gets aggresive like any other dog but you straighten it out. My other dogs are a 10 pound Havanese(who's the bully of the group) and and older retriever and there's no problem's. There are far more aggressive breeds than pitbull when it comes to interaction if they weren't raised right in their developmental window.
edit on 28-6-2016 by TSefu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Yet another Hit and run post by the OP to stir up controversy, nice MO

As to the post, up until the last few years, I have EXCLUSIVELY owned only pitbulls, from pup to grave, and I have never ever ever had an aggressive dog to either children, other people, or other animals.

There arent bad dogs, just bad owners.

Again, like I said that is anecdotal. You and Quantum and visitedbythem have probably had fantastic pitbulls. I have also posted the stats and caselaw.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join