It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Implications of A.I. to the Fighter Pilot and Modern Combat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 11:26 PM
a reply to: ridgerunner

I think that like a HUD it will be an assistant at first. Then like Samm is saying, it will be your "wingman". But the algorithms are set for "attack" and will assist a fighter pilot (until they are replaced) then either it is a race to the death to see who wins or we get our sh1t together and become human beings to each other. Just like all races after the last world wars... and I hope we do not need another one to advance, we will have to find common ground.

(I am not a liberal, just a realist with a knowledge of history! You guys here in the Aviation Threads, keep it up!)

Nice to see BASSPLYR back after some hardship. And yes, his AI will be the best!

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:54 AM
Will the AI have "instincts" and have dirty tricks in his inventory along with "flying by the seat of your pants"?
A big part of combat flying is "survival".

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:53 PM

Oh, I have a feeling there will be some forthcoming expose' further detailing the astounding capabilities of the D.U.D.E. AI system.

As for dirty tricks...for sure....."aaaaand booted!"

edit on 29-6-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:11 PM
a reply to: Blackfinger

A genetic fuzzy algorithm is a decision based system that clusters possible results together and then "chooses" the best next set of solutions. The computer does not "think" or even really make a decision it just chooses from the set of answers for Situation A the course of action so bad results: A does not happen. Then it goes on to the next problem it is facing. The weighted options are what the human programmers add in. The "fuzzy" part is that there are ways to modify which answer sets can be added (e.g., you do not need "deploy landing gear" option so replace it with one you want).

So it does this 250 times in the blink of an eye. Each blink of an eye. In 8 simulated dog fights it "won" each one. That means that the weighted values for that decision tree to produce "winning results" has been very well calculated.

Programming "dirty tricks" is probably in the set of solutions to various situations (if it is not I am sure it soon will be).

Wikipedia: Genetic algorithm

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:23 PM
a reply to: Blackfinger

I imagine a major use for air-combat AI would be to decide upon proper maneuvers against incoming missiles and defensive weaponry. That's pretty non-controversial.

A good AI would be trained (via simulator) against a variety of expected missile threats, and could more accurately compute likely successful tactics if appropriate parameters of opponent missiles were available to the simulations. I.e. it could know better than a human that a missile going a certain speed for a certain time at a certain altitude probably has "X" amount of fuel left.

Also, what about anti-missile defensive missiles? remember Pye Wacket?

It would be great to have a GTFO button.

Advances in "reinforcement learning" training technology, like the tech which resulted in the astonishingly powerful Alpha Go machine, might help here.

edit on 29-6-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:47 AM
It's not surprising really as there are lots of examples where software can outperform a human in situations where a limited number of optimal strategies exist.

This is great in a situation where the AI has all the data to hand (i.e the simulation environment in the article where the AI is just crunching numbers generated within it's own program ) but this is a country mile away from having it fly against a real pilot in the physical world.

Significant amounts of raw data from multiple sensors, comm links, databases, parallel processing sources etc need to be constantly ingressed, processed and then the outcome verified against what is actually happening.

It will happen eventually but if the Google Car/Boston Dynamics level of real time environmental processing and spatial awareness is indicative of current capabilities- there's a long way to go....
edit on 30-6-2016 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:50 AM
AI vs AI is going to be interesting.Russia and China will have it too,gonna be some really fast developing tech coming to stay ahead of the other guys.

new topics

<< 1   >>