It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

- The prime directive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

For a while now, ive been walking around in a new world. Still not sure i am welcome, but anyhow.. I loved Star Trek when i was growing up, i believe it formed some of my ideals, ( even though i wont admit it ) for the good or bad, depending on which side you are upon..

One of the things i do agree with is the Prime Directive; "

The Prime Directive, used in four of the five Star Trek-based series, prohibits Starfleet personnel from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations. This conceptual law applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development; preventing starship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them.

Its a slow process which cant be forced.

And Gene Roddenberry was in every remark a genius, but i understand how he thought..
edit on 2016628 by tikbalang because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Us state department could learn from that. But they didn't in Vietnam either, the other forgotten "interference" protocol waged on another hapless country.

Thats why Roddenberry thought it up and applied it to a sci fi setting. Back then you couldn't just out anti war statements on TV. You had to disguise them.

Some episodes in the original Trek tv series dealt directly with issues surrounding the 'conflict'. Like the one with Yangs and Komms,

The Omega Glory

Another one where Star Fleet and the Klingon Empire each arm opposing tribes with ever advancing weaponry, just like the US and USSR armed North and South Vietnam. Just like they are doing today in Syria.

A Private Little War

It did't work then, it isn't going to work today either. The only people it does 'work' for is the arms factories.

The last selection is Let that be your last Battlefield

Even more pertinent today, the story of two 'races' both half white and half black but fixated on their differences, namely their faces are half white and black on opposite sides. To them a reason to kill each other off completely.

Gad, if only people would get it.

Thank you Gene, RIP
edit on 28-6-2016 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You still have to, or you have a "certain bunch" of people derailing your thread, explaining how their point of view is the only reasonable one..

When you learn how to talk to them explaining;" Listen, this is my opinion and that is yours, maybe, just maybe.. Working "together" for a solution is better than trying to impose your belief, ideals and magic mushroom kingdom of rituals on someone "

But human minds are fragile..

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

When you learn how to talk to them explaining;

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

But human minds are fragile..

Stubborn, too.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowChatter

They hate each other so much, by the ideals they are taught.. That it clouds judgement and any reasonable ideas..
Maybe the reason Spock is there is to put aside everything else and be logical..

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Well you cant tell someone to believe in something when there really is nothing..

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Well you cant tell someone to believe in something when there really is nothing..

Nothing as in nothings real? Not buying that, reality is a cold pail of water to the face.

Maybe the reason Spock is there is to put aside everything else and be logical..

Spock is dysfunctional. His repressed emotions are the real side of him. His cold logic is the facade.

Like many people that hide behind stone faces, but are simmering inside.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The Prime Directive is one of the most fundamentally solid pieces of ethics that has been designed in the last thousand years, and one which I hope is carried forward, remembered long enough that by the time humanity reaches for the stars in a literal sense, it takes this principle with it.

What use is exploring the universe, if we make everything we encounter operate according to our morality? Best to leave species to develop themselves, learn from their errors, or wipe themselves out. Of course, that would not prevent us from protecting an alien species from another, more powerful one, by directly assaulting the threatening external force. Plausible deniability is dirt. When one needs it, ones position is always wrong.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I meant stories arent real.. Observe with your five senses not with your sixth

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Your answers are vague. Star Trek isn't real. The prime directive as he applied it was meant as an allegory to the world at that time. Endless, far away little war in a little country called Vietnam, Or Korea for that matter if you go back a little further. His caging a non interference protocol in a "not real" tv show was brilliant and intentional.

The warmongers don't get it, then as now..

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Don't forget also the Temporal Prime Directive which is similar but applies to personnel interfering with the timeline or historical events.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

But that applies to starfleet personnel,?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Plato once wrote; About the progress of each society and downfall

They are Aristocracy, Timocracy, Oligarchy, Democracy, and Tyranny. Plato also assigns a man to each of these regimes to illustrate what they stand for. The tyrannical man would represent Tyranny, for example. These five regimes progressively degenerate starting with Aristocracy at the top and Tyranny at the bottom.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Everyone praises the Prime Directive until they start talking about colonization of Mars and other, as-yet-unidentified planets.

Then it's f# the Prime Directive. We're going to probe and test and build and colonize (invade) without any way of knowing how we will be affecting current and future life that may exist on said worlds. We have corporations vying to be the first to trash our neighboring worlds.

In thousands of years of human expansion and colonization, we haven't learned a damn thing.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Greed being the primary directive, whats to learn?

"Earn!"

new topics

top topics

join