It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The AI 'Top Gun' that can beat the military's best:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
We all knew it was coming sooner or later but I for one had no idea it would be this good nor this quickly ready for deployment ! I realize the dailymail might not be the best source but the article is worth a read IMO. Call it welcome to the future ?

The AI 'Top Gun' that can beat the military's best: Pilots hail 'aggresive and dynamic' software after losing to it repeatedly

Retired United States Air Force Colonel Gene Lee took on AI in a simulator
Was not able to score a kill after repeated attempts
Was shot out of the air every time during protracted engagements
Experts say AI wingmen could become commonplace in battle

Not only was Lee not able to score a kill against ALPHA after repeated attempts, he was shot out of the air every time during protracted engagements in the simulator.

Since that first human vs. ALPHA encounter in the simulator, this AI has repeatedly bested other experts as well, and is even able to win out against these human experts when its aircraft are deliberately handicapped in terms of speed, turning, missile capability and sensors.

Lee, who has been flying in simulators against AI opponents since the early 1980s, said of that first encounter against Alpha, 'I was surprised at how aware and reactive it was.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

When they say AI wingmen does that mean it will be a co-pilot or autonomous?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

When they say AI wingmen does that mean it will be a co-pilot or autonomous?

I think some of this falls into the plans for the F-35 to be the leader of a bunch of UAVs which would make things very interesting for any opponents. However that is just speculation on my part for I am far removed from the military and their future plans. You could be flying lead and have one or two of these super smart AI UAVs covering your six and if the article is correct you would be just about invincible as far as air to air combat as your wingy UAVs would take care of any enemy bogies.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Sounds like a hard video game I bet a gamer that learns a simulator can kill it 🎮😁

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
*Open hailing frequencies*

"One divided by ZERO!". Alternatively "This command is a lie!", "ALT-F4", "RM * -r -f"

Lets play "Hack the plane"..

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
*Open hailing frequencies*

"One divided by ZERO!". Alternatively "This command is a lie!", "ALT-F4", "RM * -r -f"

Lets play "Hack the plane"..

Kobayashi Maru comes to mind =D

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
E.M.P

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

You could probably protect the electronics, computer system and RAM that's running the AI from any EMP blast with a simple Faraday cage through. In fact a plane, just like a car is a Faraday cage of sorts. But this AI is still running in a simulator, i dont think "They" are ready to actually mount the device in to an actual fighter yet.
edit on 28-6-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Skynet has been activated

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
In this version of the news , it says
www.eurekalert.org...

In fact, ALPHA can take in the entirety of sensor data, organize it, create a complete mapping of a combat scenario and make or change combat decisions for a flight of four fighter aircraft in less than a millisecond. Basically, the AI is so fast that it could consider and coordinate the best tactical plan and precise responses, within a dynamic environment, over 250 times faster than ALPHA's human opponents could blink

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
A human pilot is one of the biggest limitations to an aircraft. A plane can make turns that will kill the pilot. I wonder if that had anything to do with the results of this test?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

"Is even able to win out against these human experts when its aircraft are deliberately handicapped in terms of speed, turning, missile capability and sensors."

That's from the article posted, so it seems the AI can win even when at a distinct disadvantage. Wonder how it achieves such a feat?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The AI learns by failing probably a billion times a minute just to learn how to get off the ground and with the modern sorts of AI you do it more by setting targets so you'd train it to take off and land then at each point you add more and more to its requirements and thus it can learn and also it can be doing it 24x7 so theres no pilot fatigue.

The human is the slowest part now when it comes to a totally integrated system, by the time a pilot has responded to a bleep and worked out what it is the AI based version would of probably considered a few hundred million scenarios and picked the best one.

I doubt for much longer high end fighters will have humans physically at the controls anyway and as such we'll have jets flying sorties automatically with a pilot sat overseeing events from a virtual cockpit to make changes as and when needed but 99% of the flight will be computer led.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
How INTERESTING. Reading this, it's like you'd be fighting a phantasm.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Let's sync our best AI for our state of the art military gear and see what happens. What could go wrong? I get that this is inevitable, but it does freak me out.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The thing that boogles my mind is that the SWORDS ground AI was a joke. It hardly even worked, but this one schooled the best.

I wonder if it has something to do with the 3d space of flying vs the 2d space of ground fighting.

a reply to: Grimpachi

Both. Human wing command with ai wingmen. AI wing command with Human wingmen. AI wing command with AI wingmen.

I'd personally like to see a human still calling the shots. You know paint the target and then let the AI go kill it.

a reply to: one4all

No way. I hate this urban legend. 1980s apaches and mlrs are emp proof. You think our newer stuff isn't?

a reply to: Maxatoria

Bingo.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"Is even able to win out against these human experts when its aircraft are deliberately handicapped in terms of speed, turning, missile capability and sensors."

That's from the article posted, so it seems the AI can win even when at a distinct disadvantage. Wonder how it achieves such a feat?

the Ai is hacking the simulation to ensure its winning streak. As to mounting it. A f-22 is the perfect aircraft to mount them in since they can pull more g's without a human in the cockpit.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Let's sync our best AI for our state of the art military gear and see what happens. What could go wrong? I get that this is inevitable, but it does freak me out.

NEVER take the human out of the equation when dealing with Nuclear missiles or WMD's. As to the rest? sure go nuts.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: andy06shake

the Ai is hacking the simulation to ensure its winning streak. As to mounting it. A f-22 is the perfect aircraft to mount them in since they can pull more g's without a human in the cockpit.

Actually the F-35 or a variant with it's zillion dollar sensor array and it's inability to fight in a turn and burn with even the F-16s was my first thought. the whole disability thing and still win sounds like a win win for the F-35 which is supposed to be a platform for bombing anyway.

OR..... they are going to be mothballing several fighters so maybe add the AI to them using air data linked sensors off the F-35 for situational awareness and they may truly have something to achieve air dominance.

That could be done at a major cost savings therefore it will probably never happen !! One F-35 and a flight of 4 AI F-16s...... as the F-35 takes out the ground to air defenses the AI F-16s fly cover...

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I imagine they would possibly have taken measures to prevent such an occurrence.

As to mounting the thing in an F-22, seems reasonable considering the flight characteristics of said aircraft are limited by its human pilot, and the cutting edge technologies incorporated in to its design.

That being said im sure they could also design a fighter with even better flight characteristics to accommodate the AI.

This is rather reminiscent of the movie Stealth(2005).

en.wikipedia.org...(film)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join