It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with being an SJW

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

You are assuming all SJWs fit this mold, or just painting all with the same brush?

IMO it seems more like SJW is used a pejorative by conservatives wanting to diminish real social justice by saying 'look, here are some violent idiots'

Dickheads come in all political size and shapes.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: lortl
a reply to: BIGPoJo

So there are idiot SJWs? You want to paint everyone with the same brush?

Does this mean all Trump supporters are Nazis because he's been endorsed by white supremacists?

You are literally the first SJW that has not approved of the stuff I have posted.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: lortl

I think I have a solution to your dilemma.

If you do not go to protest or hold demonstrations you are technically not a SJW. You may want identify as another term.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

a reply to: BIGPoJo

So there are idiot SJWs? You want to paint everyone with the same brush?

Does this mean all Trump supporters are Nazis because he's been endorsed by white supremacists?

SJW do just that! Everyone who doesn't 100% agree with them is "the man". SJW are pretty mean spirited to those that disagree with them

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Social justice used to be about fighting for more freedom and equality for all.

That noble goal was achieved in the USA.

Now the toxic mimc version is all about discrimanting against particular groups and favoring others for special treatment. The current version of sjw is focused on taking away rights and liberties.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Top 5 reasons to not be a SJW

1. Mind your own business
2. Mind your own business
3. Mind your own business
4. Mind your own business.
5. Reasons 1-4 shall be applied simultaneously

Except in cases of extreme deprivation of life and/or liberty in your current locale that YOU yourself can make a difference, well STFU.

If it doesn't affect you directly and will also not affect society directly, don't make a deal of it.

We don't want to hear it. We don't care. When you scream it at us we get annoyed and really don't listen at all.

Thanks and have a great day,

Sincerely,

Everyone Else.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I support social justice.

I don't support racism.

I support equal rights for all people like allowing gays to have what the rest of us have and get married.

I support free healthcare for anybody who needs it who cannot afford to pay - I live in a rich first world nation with free healthcare and I think it should stay that way. Why should only the moneyed have access to healthcare?

I don't support crony capitalism.

What's wrong with being an SJW?

The way it's discussed here is like we are evil people.

Sing it again, what's wrong with being an SJW?

For me, I think it's in how the beliefs are expressed. The social justice warriors that give the term a bad name lose their minds, and go on a mindless crusade where constructive debate is impossible. We live in a complex world. People have different opinions. I think it's cool when people can have a conversation, starting with the shared goal of wanting the world to be a better place, and constructively debate the best ways to achieve this. It's cool to be able to calmly express different opinions, understand new perspectives, and make your own perspective more dynamic in the process. A major part of the problem is the media. It is their job to polarize people, and the overwhelm the population with an onslaught of emotionally intensifying propaganda. They're constantly trying to divide and conquer the population.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

You're putting Martin Luther King and Harriet Tubman in the same category as Black Lives Matter and slutwalk feminists?

Am I?

'Cause my post suggested quite the opposite.

MLK and Tubman are real social justice warriors, the modern-aged SJWs are simply called that to poke fun at the fact that they are essentially doing nothing but being annoying, and that they don't really have a cause to fight for.

"Social Justice Warrior" wasn't a term originally crafted to make fun of angry, purple-haired, batgendered lesbians.
edit on 28-6-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

What's wrong with being an SJW

Nothing.

Not a friggin thing.

When one has a passion about a certain cause, then I say 'go for it'. So long as a person has the fire burning within them, they're alive.

People have been fighting for causes since time immemorial (whether it be important or not-so-important), it's what makes us free-thinking humans, individually and as a collective.

Ignore the internet fad of infantile mockery, labels, name-calling, and generalizations... and carry forth young grasshopper !

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   

SJWs are like vegans.

They have to talk about it all the time and annoy those around them.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

What's wrong with being AN SJW?

Grammar, that's what.

Actually, that is correct. If the word has a vowel sound at the beginning(in this case 'ess'), one should use an. For a consonant it is 'a')

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   
First of all, there's no such thing as social justice. The whole concept is a fairy tale based entirely on the distribution of privilege to certain groups over others using legal, political, and media avenues to do so.

It has nothing to do with equality.

Equal justice and "social justice" are not the same thing. With equal justice you are treated the same within the law and allowed to succeed or fail based on the same set of rules I have to follow. Social justice determines the winners and losers by parsing society and segregating people by race, economic conditions, national origin, and other factors and designating one or more of those groups as least deserving.

It's mob rule.
edit on 28 6 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

If you do not go to protest or hold demonstrations you are technically not a SJW. You may want identify as another term.

Do you think protests and demonstrations are a bad thing?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

The problem is not with being what you are. The problem is that people associate people with other people who identify the same way, despite the fact that not all people from a given demography can be automatically assumed to believe the same things or have precisely alike behavioural characteristics, which is why generalisation is just plain wrong, and always has been.

Essentially, what we have here is no different to assuming all African American chaps of between 14 and 35 are gangbanging wannabe rappers, or assuming that anyone who identifies as Muslim is going to fly a plane into a building, or believing that all children these days prefer the Internet to going camping. Generalisation is the root of most of this crap, and in the same way, identifying as a social justice warrior will see folk assume that you have unsupportable arguments and false paradigms for your position, in the same way as many famous YouTube SJWs do.

The reality is this. What you are is noble, as long as you do it with the same rigour and realism as anyone of any worth does anything. As long as your intent is as decent as your execution, no one can argue with it, but some will, because they will find fault with your demography, the hole into which you are put, rather than the content of your arguments or beliefs as an INDIVIDUAL.

Given that most social justice issues boil down to fighting unwarranted and closed minded, over generalised viewpoints which are by that very definition, based in ignorance and a lack of capacity to register nuance, you will have a hard time, even if you are doing it right.

Never...EVER let that stop you. If you have something worthy to contribute, say it, let your arguments speak for themselves by the solidity of their structure.

Have a beautiful day.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

Do you think protests and demonstrations are a bad thing?

No, I just think they are a waste of time. Lobbying is far more effective.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Well, if going by title alone, I'd say it was the grammar.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
It could be worse, you could be a right wing populist full of hate and fear, like we have seen so much this year. Trump supporters. Talk a tough game, but on the whole a factually wrong or just fear mongers. I'll take the SJW over the Alex Jones mind washed info warriors with their constant stream of bs populism about a controlling group of men hid away pulling all the strings. Nice simple explanation for the simple minded

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

You don't understand what an SJW is.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
lulz @ reg date.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
First of all, there's no such thing as social justice. The whole concept is a fairy tale based entirely on the distribution of privilege to certain groups over others using legal, political, and media avenues to do so.

Kinda sounds like you're going all SJW about anti-SJW.

Not really sure what you're talking about on people in these groups having immunities to "legal, political, and media avenues" that others don't have.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join