It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kelly McGillis, ‘Top Gun’ actress, gets concealed-carry permit after home invasion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
As I have said on more than one occasion.... all it takes is to be confronted with terror or evil and then people pull their heads out and decide to be responsible for their own security instead of waiting for the cops to show up after a crime is committed.

A home invasion or break-in seems to do the trick in many cases even for idiots.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Kelly McGillis, the actress who played the love interest to Tom Cruise’s character in “Top Gun,” is arming herself after a home invasion, The Wrap reported on Friday.

“I’m still a bit shook up and struggling with some residual fear,” Ms. McGillis posted on Facebook last Saturday,

edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
You go girl...shoot straight and aim for body mass.
Cheers

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Good for her, I know this comment will surprise some, but I have no problem with responsible gun owners.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If you believe the pro-control advocates, won't just placing a "Gun Free Zone" sign outside keep them from entering the property with a firearm? And if so, why would she then need one?

< heavy sarcasm >
She has a long and heartbreaking story of being attacked and abused, all the while thinking she could rely upon someone else to help. Even her neighbor after this last terrifying incident.

And the worse thing…my neighbor heard me screaming and yelling help and my car alarm going off and did absolutely nothing. That is the kind me of world we live in. No one is willing to help their neighbor, the stranger, their brother of sister, he orphan or the widow. That’s why I am going to start carrying a gun.

It’s horrific that Ms. McGillis has gone through so many traumatic events in her life. Every time, it seems that she had the idea that she could move away from threats, and sadly, every time that idea has been proven wrong. Like those lost in the Islamic terrorist attack in Orlando, she thought someone else would come to her aid, and that aid never came.

story

It is sad to hear of people being repeatedly terrorized, thinking that there is such a thing as a "safe place". All too often, it takes one (or more in her case) personal account of terror to finally realize that all those people exclaiming that the police are the solution to protecting you were wrong. She finally came to the conclusion that the police cannot protect everyone from bad people, all they can do is file the report and hopefully investigate the larger crimes.

Being vigilant and taking responsibility for her own safety is a good thing. I can only hope she can get past this last event and not let the fear rule her life.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The perceived safety in our society is an illusion created by what we think is normalcy in our lives. Routine, complacent, and unaware normalcy.

The only safety that isn't an illusion is the kind you provide for yourself. Everything else has a response time and they are usually there just in time to draw a chalk outline around your body.

Even if you don't wanna carry guns, have at least one gun you're proficient with in your home. On the street carry a can of OC spray or a baton(where legal), and do simple things like reinforcing your door locks with better kickplates and longer screws. Buy the 3M security film for your windows, and place bars on the tracks so they can't be easily opened.

Get a dog that is capable of protecting you.

Train in some kind of empty handed martial art and always maintain situational awareness.
edit on 27 6 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Good girl. Very smart. Make sure to take some shooting classes to increase your odds of survival.

And pray you go through your whole life never having to use it.

Glad after this unfortunate event, that she's safe. And considering permanent security.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I hope it wasn't just a fear response.

People ... don't buy a gun just because you're scared of the boogey man. Buy a gun because you intend to blow holes in that mother-effer. Otherwise, he's probably gonna take your shiny pistola away from you ... and real bad things could happen.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
I hope it wasn't just a fear response.

People ... don't buy a gun just because you're scared of the boogey man. Buy a gun because you intend to blow holes in that mother-effer. Otherwise, he's probably gonna take your shiny pistola away from you ... and real bad things could happen.

Salute, that really is a good point. Never draw a sword unless you intend to take blood with it and never carry a sword unless you will use it. Same principle applies IMO.
それと血を取るし、それを使用する場合を除き、剣を運ぶことはありませんする場合を除き、決して剣を描画し ます

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ahhh. I hope she can ge ton with her life and never has to "take someones breath away" in th efuture.

top topics

join