It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I work at a hotel! Some customers are a pain.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
First, and foremost - Book through the hotel itself. Hotels, booking, travelocity or whatever you might use is convenient to do a search, but in the end they don't give a damn about you. We've been unable to accommodate people for reasons that should have been sorted out but never were - Such as a person in a wheelchair unknowingly booking a room that has outside stair-access - Oddly, some sites don't explicitly let the customers know this, they will only explicitly let a customer know if there's ground- floor rooms, so it's only if that explicit explanation is missing, they " should know " everything available is stair-access - Sure, they can also put a request through that third party site, but that's not going anywhere. We aren't notified of the situation in any way - And that person is out of a room for the night unless they can find something else, or are willing to or able to take stairs with their disability.

Secondly, why do so many people rate a hotel negatively based on it's location? Do your homework! You should know exactly where you are booking, and the location aspect of a hotel should always be a 5/5 because YOU CHOSE IT. Now there are situations where everything really close to a national park is booked, and you have to go some miles away because you booked way too late - Again, this is not the fault of the hotel. Stop being critical of an aspect that should be completely in your control.

Stop complaining! I've had customers act like it's my fault that the wind is blowing outside ( I wish I was joking. ) There's really no reason to complain about aspects of an area, hotel, etc that are simply not in the control of the hotel owners/staff themselves. We've been blamed for countless things that have absolutely nothing to do with the services we provide.

Anyways, just a little rant of mine. Customer-Service jobs often suck because of the customers themselves, not the work itself ( I fold laundry, stock shelves, etc.., which is all fine. )

What suggestions/rants do you have about customers in your workplace?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I work Technical Support. I feel your pain. Please RANT ON.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I used to manage a motel. That attitude would get the person who is folding and stocking shelves fired.

Second, people rarely book right through the hotel or motel. Rack rates are ridiculous. Business owners specifically put themselves on discount sites for bulk business. A guest can always call the hotel after booking to check on details.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Hilton HHonors and Marriott Rewards member. I only complain when something is wrong; poor service, AC not working, room not clean, not enough pork products for breakfast, etc.

They are both pretty good at addressing you concerns.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
Second, people rarely book right through the hotel or motel.

I stay more at Hiltons than Marriotts but I have found that booking through the HHonors site gets me pretty good discounts that I cannot find on the booking aggregators.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Second, people rarely book right through the hotel or motel.

I stay more at Hiltons than Marriotts but I have found that booking through the HHonors site gets me pretty good discounts that I cannot find on the booking aggregators.

That is true, I do like HHonors.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

How many rooms have you trashed? You do have a reputation...

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

A hotel in the 21 st centuary without a lift .

Rich people call them back packers hostels

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
lol. I like to throw the odd tv out of a window.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

?? I am perfectly friendly towards the customers, actually one of our highest reviews is under "staff" and I work during check-in hours 5 days a week, ( 2- 10 ) So honestly it's not like I treat customers badly.

I am ranting on an anonymous website, to anonymous people, about things that make this job worse than it needs to be. Your attitude would have me quit working for you.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

lol. I like to throw the odd tv out of a window.

You just need to work on your skills.

Pro tip: stay on a floor above the 1st.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I get you. My father was a hotel person for most of his career. Customer service can be a headache. But it works both ways. I booked a hotel near Mammoth Cave a year ago. It was not what you would call "up to contemporary standards," but still, it was okay. The night people were great, but when I came to check out I innocently asked if they offered a senior or AAA or AARP discount. Many hotels do and it saves about 10%. Since I was on a 30 day trip the discount could amount to as much as $300 or so for the entire month. It's worth asking. In fact, most hotels will ask me before I bring it up.

But instead I got an earful. NO, they had no discount, and they had to pay a commission to the booking agent anyway, and they were already running a sale blah, blah, blah. I was kind of taken aback and I pointed out to this person that had I not found her hotel via the booking agent (on an iPad while traveling in motion) I wouldn't have found her hotel in the first place.

Fair is fair. Treat me with respect and I'll treat you with respect.

It's that kind of treatment that can earn you zero stars on Trip Advisor.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Oh we have good reviews. 4/5 trip advisor, over 8.3 on booking. Not perfect, but quite a bit better than some other local places. So, people will choose our place based on it's good rating for instance - But not look fully into what unique places we are right next to, then complain ( bad rating ) when we are further away from their desired destination - When they are the ones that chose us, and should have known where we were.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

?? I am perfectly friendly towards the customers, actually one of our highest reviews is under "staff" and I work during check-in hours 5 days a week, ( 2- 10 ) So honestly it's not like I treat customers badly.

I am ranting on an anonymous website, to anonymous people, about things that make this job worse than it needs to be. Your attitude would have me quit working for you.

I'm sorry if that sounded harsh. After more than 20 years in customer service I just wouldn't have done that, even anonymously. Was just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm a weather forecaster. Nuff said.

I do have a rant about hotels though. I was recently charged more than twice what was quoted and what was on the paper I signed when I checked out, but they refused to do anything because it was a weekend. I get a security fee, but that was more than the cost of the room I rented (AND it should have appeared ON the statement as part of the TOTAL) so instead of $80 I was charged $180! I get to my car and check my bank app and BAM! Marched back in with receipt that had no where NEAR what I signed for. Hotel didn't care. Bank didn't care. Took a big chunk out of my gas budget. Military discount too. I got the money back about two weeks after I got home.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I prefer "hot sheet" establishments. A hold over from the old touring music biz days; Usually close to a Waffle House where the lot lizards ply their trade and the sound of idling diesel trucks lull you to sleep.
edit on 27-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

So you're the one that short sheeted my bed last time!

Seriously, I can sympathize with you. I think it's that sense of "entitlement" or high expectations because the guest is paying.

I guess that's true....and its a lot of those discount finding sites that forget to mention things....

Do you think in that regard they just provide the minimum effort into the room specs because they figure hotels/motels/bnb's will just switch rooms when someone isn't pleased?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I feel for you....after 30 plus years of business travel...staying at everything from Ritz Carlton (Naples and Boston are two of my favorite) to La Quinta Inn (not bad but franchise owners mean quality varies..a lot)...90% of the folks working at the hotel, motels and inns were pleasant and most professional when interacting with me...usually just at check in.

Mostly I came into the establishment angry after a day of biz # and treated the front desk like dirt...they took it like pros and quickly got rid me...I should apologize to all of them.

Tough business...hang in there.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Oh, I feel you. BTDT as a housekeeper, and front desk staff. Either position equals lousy treatment from holier-than-thou types. A lot of it is the kind of mind-boggling idiocy that leaves you chuckling in mild amusement, the rest is prima donna crap than makes you wonder how they hadn't been murdered yet.

One infamous guest at our place that was banned from being rented to after her last stay was a "professional exotic dancer". Stripper, honey, you're a stripper on vacation. And she had the ego to match the trumped up job title, she demanded throughout her entire stay that we order superior luxury linens & toiletries, just for her. She was told by several people sure! But only if she was paying for it XD God, we hated that woman, spoiled pushy brat.
That was the straw for us (coupled with her overall nasty HTT attitude towards other guests) We agreed to go with the right to refuse service the following year. Talk about the mother of all tantrums...

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I think everyone should work in customer service jobs for a time so they know how to treat others better. Know what it's like to be on the other end of having to clean a thrashed room, or deal with a customers unreasonable desires

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join