It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 32 Chinese stowaways found in container in Los Angeles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Thirty two Chinese men have been found within two cargo containers at the Los Angeles port. The men had survived a 2 week journey from Hong Kong. The containers were equipped with supplies and ventilation. All were reported in good health by port authorities. One of the men indicated that he had payed $3000 U.S. for the trip.

story.news.yahoo.com
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Thirty-two Chinese stowaways were found in two cargo containers in Los Angeles after surviving a nearly two-week ocean journey from Hong Kong, officials said.

The 32 would-be illegal immigrants were taken into custody on Saturday after a crane operator in Los Angeles port spotted three men climbing out of a hole cut in the side of a container, police said.

The containers with the men inside were loaded onto the ship two weeks ago in Shekou, China, police said. The men were in good health, officials said.

The stowaways, all men, had equipped the containers with supplies and ventilation to allow them to survive the perilous journey across the Pacific Ocean, said Los Angeles Port Police Lieutenant Titus Smith said.

"They had ventilation holes cut into the bottom of the container. They had a fan system set up that ran on batteries, they had ample food and water, juices, sleeping bags," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really highlights the security issues in the ports. Had that been a nuclear device, it would have easily taken out a good part of Los Angeles. A system has to be set up to inspect these ships off shore before they actually get into port. This also highlights the perils of this type of illegal immigration. These men were prepared and got lucky, one has to wonder how many die on such trip and are just dumped overboard and never are seen again?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Sounds like the USA needs to have them anchor miles out and let the Navy go aboard to check things out before they came be brought in, or turn them away. Glad they were OK!

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
That isn't a job for the Navy, its a job for the coast gaurd.

The Coast Gaurd does board several ships per day while they are several miles from our coasts, but it is impossible to board them all early on, and on top of that scan or open every single container.

This is just another example that we need to be spending more on our borders, and that includes ocean borders as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
We will need alot more Coast Guard to check them. These things huge.

Those are forty foot containers and 16,000 containers come into U.S. ports every day,

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Looks like something arrange by some Crime orginization. $3000 is fairly cheap IIRC

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well, at least they were safe. Problem is very very widespread. Quite a few countries in Indo-China are also benig used as staging points for these people. Makes one wonder just how many make it through.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Question to anyone who would know: In Vancouver we have a real problem at the Port. It's common knowledge that it is run by the Angels, and you can even see the occasional one wearing his colours on the job. Is this a problem at the LA Port? Because if it is, they would be in on it. The Chinese gangs don't usually mess with the Angels too much.

Not that all Angels are necessarily bad. I live a few blocks from a clubhouse, and have absolutely no crime in my neighbourhood.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Whoa! Two weeks in a container. They wanted to gain access to the U.S. badly. Glad to hear they were all ok.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
If enough money was put into the effort, the US could be a lot more secure. But unfortunatly congress only gives em' so much.

The containers get checked after they are loaded off the ship, but not all get checked, some ports only check 3% of the containers, while some of the biggest have there hands on new different types of X-ray scanners, and they check out over 2/3 of the containers on board.

I think 100% of the container that enter the US ports need to be scanned, and think the only practical way of doing so is current methods which involve doing one at a time on land, this is fine except for the nuclear threat, I cant think of a way to "catch" that before it is on our soil.

Heres a couple site that have pics, vids, & info on scanning products.
Homeland Security Products
Mobile X-Ray Scanner

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
People are still flocking to the US, from Mexico, China, Cuba, Haiti and many other countries... i wonder what these people know that so many in the US don't, and keep claiming this is a dictatorship....

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
From what I've heard, they (the masterminds known as "Snakeheads")bring these poor people legitimately into a country in Indo-China, place them in a boardng house and thereafter scheme. I've even heard of chartering planes to sneak them in. The problem is very large indeed.

top topics

join