It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-LGBT Focus on the Family Founder James Dobson Says Trump is Born Again "Baby Christian"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It's not big secret that Donald Trump is a giant baby but now we hear from prominent anti-LGBT rights proponent, James Dobson, that he is a giant born again "baby Christian."

NYT - A Born-Again Donald Trump? Believe It, Evangelical Leader Says

Dr. Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family and one of the country’s most prominent social conservatives, gave his account at a meeting Mr. Trump had in New York on Tuesday with hundreds of Christian conservatives.

In an interview recorded at the event by a Pennsylvania pastor, the Rev. Michael Anthony, Dr. Dobson said he knew the person who had led Mr. Trump to Christ, though he did not name him. “I don’t know when it was, but it has not been long,” Dr. Dobson said.

“I believe he really made a commitment, but he’s a baby Christian.”

and from the favorite media source for many right-wing fundies, WND:

One of the leading lights of evangelical Christianity says Donald Trump has come “to accept a relationship with Christ,” repented of his sins and been “born-again.”

Dr. James C. Dobson, who met with Trump last Tuesday in New York, along with 1,000 other evangelical leaders, said in a recorded interview with Pennsylvania pastor Michael Anthony that he knew the person who recently led Trump to Christ, but he has not disclosed who it was.

This isn't Trump's first brush with anti-LGBT rights (let's just call a spade a spade, anti-gay hate preachers) evangelical leaders. Another such meeting that flew largely under the radar was held in Trump Tower in September and attended by about three dozen evangelist leaders including Mike Huckabee's buddy, Kenneth Copeland, one of several televangelists who also preaches the "prosperity gospel" which was gloriously mocked by John Oliver. The same Kenneth Copeland who had announced some months earlier that Ted Cruz had been called and annointed by God to be the next President.

Also in attendance at that meeting was Robert Jeffress, another prominent anti-gay evangelist preacher. Following a week spent talking about what a friend of the LGBT community he was, Donald Trump retweeted a photo of himself and Jeffress from a Trump rally on June 16.

This is the same Robert Jeffress, megachurch televangelist (Pathway to Victory) who said in February that "acceptance" of gays folks is paving the way for the Antichrist.

While I doubt Donald Trump had a real religious rebirth, he's definitely spent a lot of time courting evangelical leaders whose anti-LGBT views bubble up from the same wellspring of religious belief as the zealots of the other Abrahamic religions.

So what's the takeaway?

Many — not least of which Trump himself — have made the argument that Trump's blatantly anti-Muslim "agenda" make him a "friend of the LGBT community" following the Orlando Massacre but in reality, he's been cozying himself up to powerful anti-LGBT Christian religious leaders who when you get right down to it, aren't ideological that far removed from their fundamentalist Muslim cousins.
edit on 2016-6-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Dr. James C. Dobson, who met with Trump last Tuesday in New York, along with 1,000 other evangelical leaders...

What does one retards opinion matter? (The evangelical)

It seems like you grasp pretty hard to bad mouth Trump like it's your job.

Is it your job?

Are you really blaming religious opinions on Trump?

Help me understand please.

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: added 2

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It is a Real leap of faith...no pun intended...to say that Trump's anti-Muslim "agenda" make him a "friend of the LGBT community". Trump will give lip service...this time pun intended...gay/LGBT community for votes...later it is gay bashing and towelhead smashing.
Don't for an instant believe this guy...he is a con artist, liar and turn coat all in the name of getting elected.
Cheers

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Trump is an opportunist. That's his religion, you know, "winning".

As for the gospel of prosperity, it's a pretty foreign concept to older forms of Christianity of the "take up your cross" and "eye of the needle" sort.

Any Christian who would vote for Trump (and I have a good friend who is) is very misguided.

As for Focus on the Family, they always struck me as more than a little insincere. Peddlers of a plastic American Christianity obsessed with the spirit of 50's Americana rather than anything Holy.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Trump is about as Christian as I am. It really should come as no surprise that he would be sucking up to these grifters. Every presidential hopeful does, with few exceptions.

edit on 6/27/2016 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

What does one retards opinion matter? (The evangelical)

Huh? They're all evangelicals. You're really reaching down deep for a big handful of willful ignorance. It's not "one retards" opinion, these are people whose endorsements and support Trump has sought out.

That might not be convenient for your delusion but that happens to be reality.

It seems like you grasp pretty hard to bad mouth Trump like it's your job. Is it your job?

Blah blah blah. Because you don't like what I'm posting, you have the audacity to insinuate that I'm a shill? I'd love to tell you what you can do with yourself but it'd just get deleted for T&C.

I noticed you were quick to jump in with an incomprehensible critique. Is that YOUR job?

Help me understand please.

You're not having a problem understanding, you're having a problem accepting. That's not something I can assist you with. Do you need more evidence of Trump seeking endorsements and support from more "retards?"

Open up your eyes, then open up a browser tab and navigate to Google.
edit on 2016-6-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

To even remotely consider Trump as Chrisitian is an insult to the Christian community at large. It's laughable at best, cringeworthy at worst.

Let's just say a MORAL platform ain't the man's cup of tea. One would really have to suspend all belief to bite that bit of bait.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

And as we all know Christians are bad!

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Riddle me this Batman...

Why can't he be christian and pro gay?
Seriously? Is it not allowed?

Is there a memo floating around that I didn't get?

I know plenty of people who are very devout Catholics and even some Southern Baptists that have zero issues with gay anything. are they wrong?

Are you only allowed to pick one pill?

what if you don't want either?
what if you want both?

*gasp* what if I only want half of each one????

hmmmm

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

And as we all know Christians are bad!

Considering the groups involved, I don't think this about Christians at all. Even if the people in question like to throw that label on themselves.

I'm not Lutheran, but this sums up my feelings on the prosperity gospel:

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Squirlli

Why can't he be christian and pro gay? Seriously? Is it not allowed?

Homosexuality is a sin in both the old and new testament. Some liberal Christians have chosen to ignore those verses, and for that I applaud them, but it doesn't change the fact they exist.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Honestly I want to see him play an evangelical for a while. when he screws up quotes from the Bible his cult can either wake up or start screaming about how the Bible is a Cuck.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Really dude? Wow

Oh, I am sorry, I didn't mean to melt your snowflake party.

Please carry on teach me the ways of the religious, and act like its news.

What, do you think someone could be elected without involving the bible belt?

Never said you are a shill. You did. You sure are an antiTrump.

Have a good day conversing with yourself bud.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: Squirlli

Why can't he be christian and pro gay? Seriously? Is it not allowed?

Homosexuality is a sin in both the old and new testament. Some liberal Christians have chosen to ignore those verses, and for that I applaud them, but it doesn't change the fact they exist.

The discussion is far more nuanced than simple for or against. There are some fire and brimstone people out there, but traditionalists among Catholics and Orthodox settings tend to put their disagreement in the kindest terms with sympathy for others.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

No. People who don't have a faith but use one in order to profit or control are bad... these political evangelicals qualify as bad.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I doubt if many Christians will fall for him being a Christian. Trump worships himself. Only a fool could ignore that obvious personality trait in The Donald. My elderly mother, the most Texan, conservative, rightwing, Southern Baptist, person I have ever met calls Trump a stinkin' SOB and she avoids all profanity.

Trump has some real problems with the evangelical demographic. One of the most solid voting block the GOP has. They aren't fooled. Dobson is probably just sucking up hoping for a sweet position with Trump inc.
edit on 27-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yea I know the rule, I was raised Roman Catholic ( lets just say I'm not anymore).

it's stupid.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
As a Republican POTUS nominee, Trump is performing the requisite cozying up to the religiously fundamental GOP base. OMG a born again baby Christian! ROFLMAO And it seems that the religiously fundamental leaders are cozying up to the GOP POTUS nominee.

That's like watching two skunks interact! What a hoot! But as someone who deals with skunks said,
"Skunks are very social animals - we love to watch them interact with each other and play! They are fun to watch, but yes, they can make a stinky mess and turn your life upside down if they want, so we do recommend that you remove them from your home or property once they are discovered."

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Squirlli
a reply to: Klassified

Yea I know the rule, I was raised Roman Catholic ( lets just say I'm not anymore).

it's stupid.

Understood. My point was that for most Christians, it is still unacceptable, and being a Christian means you must be anti-LGBT. I wouldn't say stupid. I would be more inclined to say indoctrinated and ignorant. The Abrahamic religions have always obsessed over other peoples sex lives. Those religions want everyone to believe a natural part of who and what we are as a species is evil and "sinful", when nothing could ever be further from the truth. It's really sad to be that repressed, and demand the same of others who don't share those religious beliefs.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

He isn't 'Anti-LGBT' he is pro-family.

Typical left wing spin.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join