It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 Quotes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Or are they? Here are a few quotes that I saw today that are extremely relevant to the current development situation. I've slightly altered them to keep, to prove a point. The entire article link will be provided later today, to keep anyone from guessing what this is.

“The program unit cost of the aircraft – although not out of line with the historical costs of fighter aircraft – makes it the most expensive general purpose fighter airplane in the world…”

it has been suggested that this history of the program presents a microcosm of the problems confronting the development of modern highly complex weapon systems. Troubled weapon systems have exhibited three common problems: repeated major technical failures; prolonged schedule slippage; and extravagant cost growth.”

“It’s problem is its unit cost: the program is the most expensive general-purpose fighter ever built….Critics assert that the program cost per plane is grossly excessive and that the program should therefore be cancelled.”

So would anyone care to guess what aircraft is being talked about in these quotes?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

lol you might wanne chance the title.....

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

if i remember correct the f-14 was one of the aircraft that many wanted to get rid of. mainly remember them bitching about the cost and that it had some avionic issues.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

B2

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Or the F18.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Teh F-22.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
that would be the F-14 tomcat, made famous by the movie "top gun." this was one aircraft that i cried when i heard they wouldnt be using it anymore. i think it was 06-07 somewhere in there.
the very first airshow i attended was wings of eagles in batavia new york. the airstrip used was too short for anything cool to land, so an f-14 flew in and it was the most amazing 15 mins of flying i can remember.
the size of the damn thing is amazing, compared to newer aircraft carrier based planes.
it did a simulated touch n go as if it was waving off a carrier landing, hook down and all. the beast took off, banked 90 degrees right in front of me, and lit its after burners. i had an airplane boner for days.
nothing has made such an influence on me since. although i did hold the c-141 and b-52 to high regard, but the tomcat was great.
only country still flying the f-14????????????
IRAN!

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
P-38?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

the can opener or, the lightin.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

“The $16.8 million program unit cost of the F-14 – although not out of line with the historical costs of fighter aircraft – makes it the most expensive general purpose fighter airplane in the world…”

“In contrast with the highly successful F-4, it has been suggested that this history of the F-14 presents a microcosm of the problems confronting the development of modern highly complex weapon systems. Troubled weapon systems such as the C-5A, or the Main Battle Tank [Editor’s note –that’s the M1 Abrams], or the TFX/F-111 fighter aircraft have exhibited three common problems: repeated major technical failures; prolonged schedule slippage; and extravagant cost growth.”

“It’s problem is its unit cost: the F-14 is the most expensive general-purpose fighter ever built….Critics led by Senator (William) Proxmire assert that the F-14 program cost of $16.8 million per plane is grossly excessive and that the program should therefore be cancelled.”

The article in question is, quite rightly, pointing out that hating the F-35 has become the "in" thing, and anyone that says anything positive is either using propaganda, or shilling for the Pentagon or Lockheed.

tacairnet.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It could be the Wright Brothers Gossamer Wings...no... would it?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Are you taking in to account inflation ?

$10 million in 1969 when the f-14 first went on line has todays value of $ 65 million.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I remember a story an "old salt" told me, F14s were to have 4 days of dog fighting with 30 year old fighters, after the second day they had to call it off becouse all the F14s were U/S. One of the intresting storys was when in a dog fight one of the old fighters pulled a 9.5g turn, the F14 tried the same and corrugated his wings at a little over 8g and just made it back to base. The F14 was known as a hanger queen. I dont remember what the old fighters were but I think they were English electric lightings

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The money isn't the point. Replace F-14 with F-35, and the exact same quotes are being used today about the F-35 program. THAT is the point.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The money isn't the point. Replace F-14 with F-35, and the exact same quotes are being used today about the F-35 program. THAT is the point.

That's true of just about every weapons systems we have.

Costs 2 to 3 times more to produce, and takes 2-3 longer to build.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

And how many of those are reviled like the F-35, based on the same amount of information we have about them?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Most aircraft development seems to go through this. The Tomcat, especially the D, in 2005, was an incredibly effective and lethal killing machine.
The 2 person crew made it a great RMC / CSAR platform. Long loiter time and multi-tasking. To say nothing of the room in the cockpit for lots and lots of toys. (IR flashlight, PRC-112 interrogator, etc). Could easily carry 4 LGBs plus enough A/A ordnance to fight in and out.
The LANTIRN pod was much better than the KnightHawk pod on the newer Hornet and more easily upgradeable. The ROVER Pod gave them the ability to hang out and transmit the LANTIRN Pod images right to ground troops.
The AIM-54C was tested to prove it had excellent ACM type usability. The GE Motors kicked butt. I literally ate one of my antennas and never knew it.
It was metal and thus, much easier to fix than the composites (Fisher Price) fighters on the flight deck.

Somehow, I believe in 20 years, the F-35 will be regarded as a good aircraft.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The F111 sure seemed like a clunker,but turned out to be a hell of a light bomber,seems like most planes get a bad rap at first.The F35 should be given a chance to show it`s potential.It might never be as capable in a dogfight as a F22,but we should be buying upgraded F22`s as well.Our current fighters are getting a lot of wear on them.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

And how many of those are reviled like the F-35, based on the same amount of information we have about them?

I imagine they are trying to get the yf-23 off the shelf and into production with all this crap they are tossing maybe?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

The F-22 Raptor?

We have way too many fighter jets, these things cost a fortune just on maintenance. Even if the plane sits still and never see's combat or flight, we still have to replace these parts after so long. I bet if we cut our Airforce in half we wouldn't have a deficit. There is no logical reason to have as many planes as the USA has it's just ridiculous.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join