It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphene makes rubber more rubbery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
nano werk

20 May 2016

www.nanowerk.com...=43460.php?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=nanowerkemergingtechnologiesnew s
= = = = =
Original source:
"Graphene and water-based elastomers thin-film composites by dip-moulding"
www.nanowerk.com...=43460.php?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=nanowerkemergingtechnologiesnew s
From Science Direct

= = = =
From nano werk version:

(Nanowerk News) In an article published in Carbon ("Graphene and water-based elastomers thin-film composites by dip-moulding"), Dr Aravind Vijayaraghavan and Dr Maria Iliut from Manchester have shown that adding a very small amount of graphene, the world’s thinnest and strongest material, to rubber films can increase both their strength and the elasticity by up to 50%. Thin rubber films are ubiquitous in daily life, used in everything from gloves to condoms.
. . .
In most cases, it they observed that the resulting composite material could be stretched to a greater degree and with greater force before it broke. Indeed, adding just one tenth of one percent of graphene was all it took to make the rubber 50% stronger.
Dr Vijayaraghavan, who leads the Nano-functional Materials Group, explains “A composite is a material which contains two parts, a matrix which is soft and light and a filler which is strong. Taken together, you get something which is both light and strong. This is the principle behind carbon fibre composites used in sports cars, or Kevlar composites used in body armour.
“In this case, we have made a composite of rubber, which is soft and stretchy but fragile, with graphene and the resulting material is both stronger and stretchier.”
. . .

Sounds pretty neat, to me.
I would imagine there's thousands of applications--besides increasing the thrill in the bedroom.
Though, helping prevent increased infections with AIDS is a worthy contribution to public and individual health.
I wonder what the implications would be for party balloons and maybe surgical gloves?
And Dental dams?
How about as a membrane in auto glass?
I wonder how many uses ATSers could think of off the tops of their heads?
So, what's the company to invest in?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

LOL.

I guess I should have put something about the condoms in parenthesis in the title. There might have been more response!

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

A month late. And the article I quoted in the GRAPHENE mega thread did a big disservice to science. Exact same tile, same wording ("stretchiness" and "a very small amount" with no actual number, like "0.02% of total mass" or anything). Either of us could write a better story than this.

The company you are looking for is the one associated with Manchester University.

PS - Your link does not work either. Went to nanowerk and searched for it myself which is why I noticed it reads almost word for word as the BBC story. ATS link: GRAPHENE mega thread

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Here is my post specifically on graphene condoms: ATS link - GRAPHENE mega thread

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

THANKS. THANKS.

I keep forgetting about your graphene megathread.

IIRC, the link worked when I posted it.

Ah well.

Thanks for your important work on the topic.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

No problems.

It is not my mega thread! I just found it there not getting any attention so I have been posting updates, news, tidbits, etc. I can feel something about to break. So try and keep people up to date without having to go searching (hey, if I am already looking and find something why not share it? My thoughts anyway).

It seems like R&D places issue a press release that gets circulated to various outlets with very little/no changes to the copy handed them. That PO TEOT to no end. If you are going make a "scientific" press release, at the very least you need numbers and scientific terms! Funny but most of my post for flow batteries comes from financial press releases. It is like they are trying to generate enthusiasm (financial) and leave in big terms and scientific data! It is backwards to how it should be! Go figure...

top topics

join