It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Minnesota Town Hits 54 Below Zero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Temperatures in the Minnesota City of Embarrass, hit 54 degrees below zero. The temperature approached an all time record for the state as a river of Arctic air pushed down to the Gulf States. People left thier cars running at local coffee shops simply to ensure they did not get too cold.

story.news.yahoo.com
Temperatures plummeted across the eastern half of the nation Monday, approaching an all-time record in northern Minnesota and freezing the Gulf Coast as a river of Arctic air pushed southward.

Thermometers registered a low of 54 degrees below zero at Embarrass, Minn.

"You keep living, but it gets old after a while," said Christine Mackai, the town clerk for the community of about 1,400 people in northeast Minnesota.

Minnesota's record is 60 below, set on Feb. 2, 1996, in Tower, about 10 miles north of Embarrass.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That is pretty cold, especially if you come from the San Francisco Bay Area. A cold spell for us is when it hits 40 or so. What exactly do you do when it gets so cold? You can't go out or anything. I guess you move from heated house to heated car and back again. Other than that, unless you a bear or something, you day is pretty much shot.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I got to experience -32 a few years back, and let me tell you, that was way cold. So cold my breath crystalized and you could see the particles fall to the ground. My car wouldn't start at all. The only thing you do is stay inside and think of summer.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
You would be surprised fred it is not as bad as it may seem. Granted it is darn cold, but an artic parka works great as do snowsuits.

The worst thing is the wind chill factor, that can kill ya in 30 seconds. Had one guy on Minot AFB run from his house to his car to start it and froze his lungs in less then 50 feet. The moral of that story is never go out without your parka on and have the head gear in place tightly closed.

My wife is from ND so my father in law (a farmer I might add) never hesitated to go outside simply because he had to feed the live stock etc.
In addition they did not have in door plumbing until 1963, you know what that meant, Yup if you had to go you went to the outhouse. Trust me that was an experience alone in the winter time.

Now on the reverse side of the scale; we were in Caracas on a trip where the temp was somewhere in the 80s and get this some ladies had sweaters/coats on claiming it was one of the coldest days on record.

I guess what I am trying to say is you get used to it.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
My parents live in Tower in a "modern" log home. They were there during the -60 temp in '96. They said the log home creaked and groaned and cracked as any moisture in the logs froze and expanded. They also said you don't go out without dressing appropriately and without good reason.

Interestingly, they had a temperature change there of 100 degrees in about 12 hours. It went from 60 above to 40 below as a front came through. I'd hate to be camping on a night like that. Literally a "rude" awakening eh?

Evaporative cooling from wind chill is the biggest threat though. When dressed appropriately, -40's is cold but not intolerable for short periods. It's just when your car battery freezes solid that it makes it hard to do much besides stay at home.

Peace,

~Jammer+

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
I got to experience -32 a few years back, and let me tell you, that was way cold. So cold my breath crystalized and you could see the particles fall to the ground. My car wouldn't start at all. The only thing you do is stay inside and think of summer.

Here my question can you really tell the difference between say -32 and -54? I doubt I could. Either way its way cold.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It is always this cold here this time of year and you really don't do anything special other than making sure you have a good battery and gasline atnifreeze. We still go ice fishing go to snowmobile races and the like and just make sure you wear layers and keep your skin coverd. It is not much of a choice because it will be this way until the end of March so you would go crazy if you just stayed inside. I will say though that I would draw the line at -54 and just stay inside because it is not cold anymore it is painfull. I think that it is odd when you hear of people from the south whose cars do not start at 0 or above because we do not plug ours in and all 3 started fine this morning.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Forget about that. Here in sunny California I consider anything below freezing to be hell.
I don't even own cold weather gear except for one sweater and a thin jacket. We had an unexpectedly cold day once and by the time I was off work I was mildly hypothermic. I'll never take a job on a mountain again.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Here my question can you really tell the difference between say -32 and -54? I doubt I could. Either way its way cold.

Fred,
I never could; however being in the military at the time we had regulations that stated we had to have our parkas and gloves on all the time when it got below zero.

Like I said earlier it is the wind chill that really gets you. That causes you to more problems then the actual cold temperature does.

Jammerman,
Do your parents live in Tower city? Never heard of a tower ND, but know Tower city well; drove thru it many times on the way to Minot via 94/52.

new topics

top topics

join