It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Scholars and Experts - how to ask for help???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Is there a way to contact/alert ATS experts and scholars when a thread could use their wisdom?

Okay, for example, there was a thread today with a document that was written in Latin, that had no translation and no one to look towards its authenticity. The authenticity was more or less assumed in the thread, and no one knew its translation other than a vague statement in the OP.

I spent a long time struggling with Google Translate and it became obvious that I could easily mistranslate the document to the detriment of the thread, seeing as I am not anywhere close to being versed in this area.

i then thought, "There must be a few people on ATS who could do this!" But I do not know of any Latin scholars on ATS, who might know something also about early 18th century spelling oddities.

This sort of thing happens in other threads as well. I guess I'm asking if there is some kind of "forum expert" list or something so we could contact folks? I see the badge on some folk's avatars that they are "forum experts" or something. OR perhaps a "bulletin board" thread to request expert's help (those who are legitimate experts, not just anyone who thinks or says they are).

Anyway, any brainstorming on this would help. I sure would love to see an accurate translation of the document and to know if it is what its claimed to be in the OP.

Thanks for your input!!!

- AB
edit on 26-6-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

A few in here knows latin, not mentioning any names since we have a history of a very, " difference of opinions "...

But im sure they will help you out if you ask them..

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hmmm. Latin. Sounds Greek to me. I know English and a few Finnish swear words.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

That is a good idea..to have a list of 'experts' that could provide research that has sources.

A long time ago I mailed U2U whoever was supposed to be in charge of adding the title 'researcher', it was a forum in and of itself, I think, and I got no answer.

That reminds me to ask that again about designation titles.
edit on 26-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)
like you have 'writer'.

Usually the experts show up quickly, in regard to weaonry, planes, UFOs. It would be nice to have a way to ask.

The title is scholar. The person in charge of that doesn;t appear active, that is what I was looking for. There is still a research forun though.

ATS Research Forum

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Thanks, reldra. Even if they were unavailable, it might alert them to something they would otherwise miss. I think it would enhance the discussions if credible folks could put their knowledge to work. They would get a lot of appreciation, for the most part. (Unless people were feeling argumentative...but that NEVER happens...)

AB

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

LOL. NEVER

It would be helpful and I added the research forum link to my last post.

The member who was in charge seems to be not active and the thing is about 1 year inactive. That would be a good spot to go to ask for research. If it could be revived.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Hmmm. Latin. Sounds Greek to me. I know English and a few Finnish swear words.

Your Shakespearean reference is not lost on me (Julius Caesar to be exact, Casca, Act I, Scene 2).

Now Finnish - that's not one that has ever crossed my ear. English? I hope you know English or you are very good at guessing meaningful words while randomly typing!

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

There is a thread created by ScramJet, which the Moderator ArMap keeps updated, with a list of ATS members who can translate a large variety of foreign languages. I have a link to it in my sig as well.
Recent as of Mar 03, 2016
Looks like the one you seek is:
Latin:
MuldersGirl - Send U2U - Last login: Mar, 03 2016

The last logon date was as of the posting of the updated list. She still around, drop her a line.
edit on 6/27/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Latin no, but german yes

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Awesome!! Thank you. I will drop her a line.

Now only if there was a way to get in touch with all our ATS member experts in various topics...

new topics

top topics

join