It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world actually is getting better, just not at the rate we would like it to

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
www.linkedin.com...
This is a link to an article I found on LinkedIn, there being a lot of people around here who like real data. I think living in the times we do that we forget that many of the things mentioned in this article are dramatic improvements from the past, we have grown accustomed to living in this technical age of rather comfort to what just a couple of generations ago virtually all of our ancestors lived lives that were dramatically more difficult. Now maybe humanity is not advancing at the rate we would like it to but the real data in the article shows that we really are advancing.
edit on Sun20166V201607630 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun20166V201612630 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Here's goes some of his charts:

edit on 26-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Sorry when I typed the title and hit enter it opened the thread before I could make my post

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

Advancing our Advanced civilization, yah sure. Depends on what you call better...

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's actually "too" good now apparently as the kids today are so lazy and lacking in ambition they dont even bother getting drivers licenses, amongst other disturbing metrics.

The Decline of the Driver's License

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Love network, I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!!! The second video made me laugh, my point is that over just a few generations we have made life generally better in aspects that are important to average people especially the stuff that affects average people. While we want our ideal world to live in, data suggests that we are working our way in that direction.
edit on Sun20166V201640630 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I absolutely agree they do need a kick in the but to get them on the right track. Other than small issues like that, which can be straightened out with discipline I believe that overall humanity is considerably better than it was 100 years ago or maybe even 200, just the fact that it's better is a good thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Thank you posting those charts it's helpful to the discussion
edit on Sun20166V201641630 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
It's actually "too" good now apparently as the kids today are so lazy and lacking in ambition they dont even bother getting drivers licenses, amongst other disturbing metrics.

For some reason lately, people are starting to act like motor vehicle operation is the be all, end all benchmark for adulthood. Want to hear a good one? Never driven in my 31 years. Don't even know which peddle makes the contraption go. Why?
Because I don't need to. Everywhere I've ever lived has never proven a need for a car. If my feet or a bicycle can't get me there within a reasonable hour or two, a bus stop is usually within walking distance. In lieu of that, a taxi has helped in a pinch (twice for "s#, that's real labor this time", once for being too tired to hoof it home)

Feet are free. Cars cost, continuously.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

For some reason lately, people are starting to act like motor vehicle operation is the be all, end all benchmark for adulthood. Want to hear a good one? Never driven in my 31 years. Don't even know which peddle makes the contraption go. Why?
Because I don't need to. Everywhere I've ever lived has never proven a need for a car. If my feet or a bicycle can't get me there within a reasonable hour or two, a bus stop is usually within walking distance. In lieu of that, a taxi has helped in a pinch (twice for "s#, that's real labor this time", once for being too tired to hoof it home)

Feet are free. Cars cost, continuously.

Agree almost absolutely.
However there are some caveats from me being a car buff, amongst other things. My wife does not drive, neither does all five of her siblings, neither did her mother or father..R.I.P. So guess what?

edit on 26-6-2016 by smurfy because: forgot exactly the number of relatives!

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I'm just getting my driver's license because I want to live in a more rural area, planning on moving to Denver area, I spent 5 years living on the water in Chicago, and the rest living in Chicago, so I understand the public transportation thing, is a lot cheaper than driving and can get you anywhere in the city fit just a couple of bucks.i can get from one side of this city to the other on $2.25 in three rides
edit on Sun20166V201644730 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
To me motor vehicle-ship IS a metric of ambition.

Unless you live in a place like NYC, the idea of being a "go-getter" without being able to hop in a car and GO GET seems absurd.

Of course not everybody is meant to be, wants to be, whatever, a "go getter" (entrepreneur, be all you can be, best career move potentialities, poised for opportunities, ability/capability to hustle, etc).

Mind you I'm ALL about self-employment, being able to work from home, etc. I'm quite literally an evangelist of such. Where as a practitioner of the lifestyle, without self-vehicle-ability, you can only realize a small portion of your potential, from my experience.

But when there's this major growing newsworthy metric of an entire generation not bothering to be in position to go-get, that's uber troubling.

Like with one of my young little brothers. To make it most short, he's stuck in this entry level dead end job barely make enough to have anything on, all about not being self-sufficient vehicle wise, and yet basically REFUSES to even get his license. I could go on at length about this, the underpinnings and such, but I've already derailed the thread enough with this bizarre metric.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

There was no derailment, open perspectives are welcome, sometimes my perspective might seem a little strange at first, but looking past my craziness my perspective is usually on target.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yes, the world is getting alot better every day. Maybe we end up living in a uthopia in this century?

top topics

join