It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ah God...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Okay,

You are gonna want to know about this one.

Here is the scenario:

I respond to a thread and I use "Copy" to grab the target post's quote. I use paste when I create my response and send the post.

Then, if I go to edit any previous post, the contents of whatever are on my clipboard are distributed throughout that edit automatically: I find the contents of my clipboard have been automatically pasted in a distributed fashion throughout my most recently edited post, so I have to go in and find where it's been pasted and remove it before re-posting the edit.

So...

I want to be able to copy text from the post that I want to respond to so that it will not stay on my clipboard and be automatically posted to my next edit.

Is it my browser?

Thanks admin!
edit on 26-6-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
When responding to a post do you use the "quote" link?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
Then, if I go to edit any previous post, the contents of whatever are on my clipboard are distributed throughout that edit automatically: I find the contents of my clipboard have been automatically pasted in a distributed fashion throughout my most recently edited post, so I have to go in and find where it's been pasted and remove it before re-posting the edit.

What do you mean by "in a distributed fashion"?

If you make a new post does that happen?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

No. Not in a new post. What I mean is that when I go to edit a post, simply clicking on the edit tab distributes the contents of my clipboard across the text in the "edit box", usually after the periods at the end of sentences, automatically.

And so I have to then go in and search them out and manually delete them.

I'll get a screen when I can.

Thanks.

edit on 26-6-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Copy cut and paste quote off site into a doc. Compose and cut n paste whole thing back into reply box.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Right,

Seems reasonable.

Just would like to get it done in the browser instead of clicking more.

You're right, though.

Thanks for your time.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

I just never have anything on the clipboard itself...so don't why/why not my suggestion works...I have little trouble ever....

Good luck

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: kinglizard
When responding to a post do you use the "quote" link?
That's what I used to make the following reply. I just trim the unnecessary parts of the quote and doing it this way no copy/paste is needed.

the contents of my clipboard have been automatically pasted in a distributed fashion throughout my most recently edited post
I've made many thousands of posts here, many of them edited, and never have the contents of my clipboard "automatically pasted" in any edit. So, it must be something with your setup, it's not something inherent to ATS.

I've got a little bug with my system where "copy" doesn't always work on the first try and the clipboard still contains the previous copy info, so sometimes I have to choose "copy" a second time but again that has nothing to do with ATS, it's some kind of bug with my setup where the clipboard doesn't update properly every time for some reason.

edit on 2016626 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I think so, too. Debian 8 "unstable".

It must be me.

Thanks for your time.

:0

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Okay,

Here is the scenario:

I respond to a thread and I use "Copy" to grab the target post's quote. I use paste when I create my response and send the post.

So...

I want to be able to copy text from the post that I want to respond to so that it will not stay on my clipboard and be automatically posted to my next edit.

Is it my browser?

Thanks admin!

You mean that nagging long time board software problem I'll show you in my next, double quoted answer.?

====== end of fully readable, manually answered, not double quoted post ======

Do you mean this next problem down here, that a big chunk of your quoted post text is gone when you post a double quoted post.? It's a long standing bug in the board software, that can be healed quite ea.silly, by changing in the relevant software line, the outer quotes to excerpts ( [ quote ] - [ /quote ], to : [ ex ] - [ /ex ] ).

If you already want to preview my typed out next post you are now reading, you'll have to click the - "quote - key in the top-right corner in THIS total post (written by me), then you can see what parts I typed, and which of them do not show up.

Which is the most logical, and should be the fastest thing to do : just quoting the whole already once answered post again, including the double quotes.
But, lo and behold, that eats up most of the double quoted post and leaves you with only my answer-words. Your, by me quoted text, is gone :

Okay,

Here is the scenario:

So...

Is it my browser?

Thanks admin!

You mean that nagging long time board software problem I'll show you in my next, double quoted answer.?

====== end of butchered, double quoted post ======

Now I'll change the outer, double [ quote ] and [ /quote ] to [ ex ] and [ /ex ] :

Okay,

Here is the scenario:

So...

Is it my browser?

Thanks admin!

You mean this problem I'll show you in my next, double quoted answer.?

====== end of fully readable, ex-ed , plus quote-d post ======

That's the quite simple solution, I use it for years at this board already, it seems the ADMINS don't know about it, or did not get to it yet. It's a bit time consuming extra typing for each answer for the members, is it advisable to implement.?

On the topic of board-bugs, ADMINS :

Please, after so many years, CHANGE these pre-written sentences in the posting windows :

" originally posted by: "
-and-
" a reply to post by: "

once and for all times to these ones , using the proper capitals "O" and "A"
PLEASE, since it looks so immature for such a matured board :

Originally posted by:
-and-
A reply to post by:

Thank you in advance, such tiny disturbances slowly erode the rim of my soul.

new topics

top topics

join